Query about the main quest - no spoilers
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Viz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Query about the main quest - no spoilers

Hi there.. I was reading various boards since I am still to recieve my copy and found an interesting post by someone who claimed to have finished the main quest. I am not sure if it had been completely completed since I obviously didnt read the spoilers post but it seemed to strongly suggest he had.

My question is, considering for a moment he is telling the truth and he has been playing the game heavily since release concentrating on 'just' the main plot, would that mean that the main plot is not actually the key to morrowind as it would be in other games? Because if it is, it surely cant be completed as quickly as this? (though relatively speaking, it would be around the same as many RPGs.. Planescape Torment took me less than 40 hours first time and I was in no rush and it seemed more than adequately long but over a few days of intensive play you can quickly get that).

Usually in games, when you complete it, you complete it. But this suggests that Morrowind is not based on any one story based on one arc but multiple stories maybe pulling together multiple quests in conjunction with a main one? Thus by following just the main one, you are only completing one piece 'albeit a large' piece of the overall story puzzle?

A developer claimed that 'Morrowind' could never be completely finished but unlike Daggerfall, one could if one wished just follow heavily on the main plot rather than do 101 other things that the game allows you to which could be what this fellow has. So thus Morrowind's main plot is a key thing to do but unlike other games, the virtual land indicates that you could travel and the story could keep on building from all your other adventures.

Do you feel from your adventures that this is the case? Also have you found quests can be completed numerous ways and thus the main story arc and other arcs could be done many times with different chars but with very diffeerent experiences each time?

Thanks in advance! Just checking that in essence it is almost impossible to say 'I beat Morrowind' because a comeback could be 'well do you know about the political issues between House X and house Y then? or do you know the story of whats really going on the Tribunal <derived from other big side quests (made up in this case, not spoilers.. as examples).
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:34 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Actually, I dont give crap about the story. The best part of MW (and DF) is that you live your character. You can have AMAZING adventures without following the main quest.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:31 am

Well there is a main quest, which you can complete, but that does not end the game. There are countless side quests and other things you could get involved in, ultimately you could do them all, but guess what you still won't get a 'Congratulations the game is over' screen. You can keep going.
I read one comment from the Devs that when playing they just decided to kill everything in the game, until it was just them left alive (and the critters who respawn), the last man in Morrowind, the ultimate ruler.
The game ends when you don't want to play it anymore.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:43 am