Usergroups
Hidden favorites (movies)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Rushmore and My Dog Skip were both pretty funny and underrated, IMO.

Oh and another older movie that was pretty funny that nobody ever talks about isa film called Local Hero.
Post Sat May 22, 2004 5:57 am
volcaneros
City Guard
City Guard

Ice Pirates...wow. I remember about a year ago spending an evening with my friend driving to video stores looking for someone that carried Ice Pirates. We finally found a place and watched it. It was well worth the effort.

Couple other hidden gems that I've constantly enjoyed...

The Burbs (Tom Hanks when he played comic roles, which he does better then drama...or at least he used to)

Eric the Viking (a little odd but quite entertaining)

The Fisher King (one of my all time favorites)

and reallly dipping into the pool of oddity, I used to love Transylvania 6-5000 Don't ask me why.

Oh and if you can ever find it watch Rosencrants and Guildenstern are Dead

or pet sweaty things.

Turn $25 into $5225
Post Sat May 22, 2004 12:23 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmm, this old thread has clawed its way back to the surface, has it? Well, I'd better add something I'd forgotten last time around then:

Flash Gordon. Cheesy dialogue, low production values, dodgy special effects, all that good stuff. Features a killer soundtrack by Queen, a plant that eats people, and Brian Blessed shouting "DIIIIIIIIIIVE!" Marvellous!
Post Sat May 22, 2004 7:08 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

Good old Flash, that movie is classic!
Post Sun May 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

1. Repo Man--"Repo man is a way of life, man."
2. Night of the Comet--Old sci-fi zombie fun from the early 1980s
3. Pi--The closer you come to understanding the true meaning of Pi, the more you lose your mind.
4. The Last Seduction--Linda Fiorentino as a femme fatale seducing a confused young man.
5. Donnie Darko--Weird
6. The Sword and the Sorcerer--Fun Conan the Barbarian rip-off.
7. Naked Lunch--Freaky adaptation of the William Burrough's novel.
8. Blue Velvet--I recently read a funny review about this movie in which the reviewer said something like,"As you're watching this movie, you're telling yourself that you can't possibly be watching what you're seeing on the screen." It's a classic tale of a boy who finds a severed human ear in a field and goes on a quest to find the owner of the ear. What he finds are some of the freakiest people on Earth.
9. Strange Brew--Take off, eh.
10. Herbert West--Reanimator--Sometimes scary, sometimes goofy adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft story. Where else can you see Fritz Weaver's head leering over a beautiful woman?
Post Mon May 24, 2004 3:40 am
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

Ooops. Just remembered another one:

Eating Raoul--What do you do with a dead body?
Post Mon May 24, 2004 3:49 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
Condor (I'm not sure about the name but it has whats-His-name from the Last Castle. Robert Redford? Anyway its a guy that gets put into a situation of either becoming somewhat of a superspy or not living.)

I think you meant Three days of Condor

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
Falling Down (This is actually pretty mainstream but just in case you havent seen it, this is one of the best movies made).

I love that one - Michael Douglas and Robert Duval

My “recent” favorites include Jean Reno’s – The Professional featuring young Portman, another with him Crimson Rivers

Then there is this Murder of the Crows with Cuba Gooding Jr.

John Woo’s Killer with Fat Chou
Post Tue May 25, 2004 3:57 pm
volo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

here is my little list. But I have to say that I live in germany, therefore I cannot always be sure if the title is also known in other countries.

-the 25th hour (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307901/)
-Dogville (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276919/)
-thought crimes http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0339785/
-Narc (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272207/)
-Xun qiang aka Missing Gun (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0342778/)

I can't give u any clues so I have provided the links, 'cause I suck in describing something to other people. Or maybe my english isn't good enough for it.
Oh and these are only a few of the films I have watched recently.
Post Mon May 31, 2004 4:23 am
volo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

shit I forgot these (HOW could I forgot these )

-The man who wasn't there (The Coen Brother masterpiece)
This is considered by me as a MUST-SEE-OR-DIE!!!
Post Mon May 31, 2004 4:26 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Please refrain from using that sort of language. Also, please use the Edit button. It's always useful when you forget something.
Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:41 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Dogville is kind of a big thing were I come from since Lars Von Trier is a fellow Dane. I haven’t seen it though but a mini series he made for television called Riget (or The Kingdom in English) was quite good. It’s basically a story about the ghost of a little girl murdered 70-years ago but it’s also filled with odd characters that really do weird and funny things. There later was a second mini series were the main story was about a mutant baby (Udo Kier). I haven’t seen them in years but they were quite interesting at the time.

Well, the Dogville post made me remember but it was actually something else I would contribute with. Does any one remember Salute of the jugger/The Blood of Heroes? It’s a real classic in my opinion. It got that post-nuclear setting and features Rutger Hauer as veteran player of a brutal sport.

If anyone has missed Ice Pirates I guess they can’t watch the Turner Classic Movies channel as they screen it several times a month.

Btw. I heard rumours recently about Stephen Summers wanting to make a new Flash Gordon movie. Summers is perhaps not known for creating the best films but he usually manages to entertain so perhaps there something worth looking forward to.
Post Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:23 pm
Seldon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

One of the most underrated movies I've ever seen is "Titan A.E." . Nice animation , great soundtrack , pretty good plot. I don't say that's a kind of 5 stars rated movie , but it wasn't appreciated enough (of course in my opinion).
Post Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:02 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I saw Dogville a little while back. Quite liked it, but I preferred Dancer In The Dark. Dogville wearied me a little as I felt it was treading a lot of similar ground to DITD, but ultimately it turned out to be very different and provoked very different thoughts. I caught a little of The Kingdom a while back, I'd like to see it all sometime, and last night I watched The Five Obstructions. For those who don't know, this is a film where Lars von Trier makes his mentor Jorgen Leth remake his short film (The Perfect Human) five times, with various rules and restrictions imposed by Lars. Pretty good, probably won't be enjoyed by those with no interest in filmmaking though. Anyway, that's all the Lars Von Trier stuff I've seen, and I haven't disliked any of it yet. I'd like to see Breaking The Waves, The Idiots and Festen.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:05 am
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well, to be truly honest I found The Idiots somehow...idiotic .

I have a correction to your above post. Festen is not a Von Trier film but by Thomas Vinterberg. His latest offering It’s All About Love is counted as one of the worst films of last year but don’t be fooled Festen is really a small masterpiece. It’s basically about a birthday party were the whole family is invited. Everything goes by the book until one of the sons of birthday boy rises to make a speech. He has something dark on his mind and has therefore two speeches prepared – presumably one praising his father and the other one were he speaks of what has been tormenting him since childhood. He then asks for his father to pick one and of course the father picks the wrong speech (from his point of view) and everything starts to fall apart. This is really one of the greatest scenes I’ve ever seen.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:53 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Underrated movies? I liked Buckaroo Banzai, The Bunker, Shockwaves (the latter was silly, hardly worth the celluloid it was made on and showed Peter Cushing's undisputedly worst performance ever... but I still think it was underrated, for it entertained me well.
Post Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:07 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next