this movie! I know it looks cheesy in the trailers. In reality, it
may be the best comic movie ever! It's actually quite twisted and
dark during the 2nd half. The explanations for his suit, equipment,
and martial-skills is really cool. You should actually check this
movie out! It's definitely much better than any of the other movies
in the series! It's currently ranking at 82% with 144 reviews at
Rotten Tomatoes...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_begins/

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:50 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

This movie is definately on my list.
Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:34 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

This movie should DEFINATELY be on your list.

I loved Tim Burton's Batman and couldn't really see how a Batman movie could be made that would beat it (despite the fact it was story and character light... that's Hollywood ... or so I thought).

I was so very, very wrong.

Batman Begins is even more faithful to origin and character than Spiderman. It's so nice to see dark characters being allowed to exist in dark films now. This is about as far away from "Quickly, Robin, use the bat-radar to find where the Joker is downtown!" as you can possibly get.

The entire movie looks like "Batman". The sets are stark, decaying, and vivid in their bleakness. The lighting, even in the fully lit scenes, is dim. Shadows, always a big part of Batman's arsenal of weaponry, are put to good use.

Christian Bale finally nails the character dead on. Other actors have approached the role as Bruce Wayne and his alter ego Batman: Bale seriously looks like he approached it as Batman... and Bruce Wayne is just another costume. A smoldering intensity in or out of the batsuit makes you believe that this is a guy who dresses up as a bat to put fear into the hearts of criminals. The fact that he worked out like mad and beefed himself up to 225 pounds of lean muscle certainly helped nail the look (Bats, after all, has trained himself to the point where every muscle is in perfect fighting form)... but overall it's the eyes, posture, and especially the VOICE that completes the transformation.

There's one scene in particular that had my friends and I sit up straight in our seats and say 'Holy crap... THAT'S Batman." You'll know it when you see it.

Seriously on the 'yeah, I'd see it again' and the 'you don't want to miss this on the big screen' list. My friends are of the opinion that it blows the previous Batman movies out of the water... and so am I.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:46 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

if ill go to the cinema and watch it itll probably suck because the subs are really ****** up in this movie
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:27 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

*ahem* Stop swearing, please.

@Xen: Okay, okay, I'll bump it up on the list.
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:34 pm
Enderandrew
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

This is not just a great comic movie, it is a great movie in its own right.

Why is WB diddling their thumb and debating whether or not to bring back Nolan for the sequel?
Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:26 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

1) Because some boy toy would appeal to a larger demographic. Just ask George Clooney.

2) If Nolan's preferences hold up in the face of big success then HE wouldn't really want to be typecast as Batman.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:56 pm
Enderandrew
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Fox screwed around and delayed X-Men 2 for quite some time by twiddling their thumbs on whether or not to bring back Bryan Singer, and then they did the same thing on X-Men 3 and eventually lost him.
Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:24 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Didn't he lose himself by going to work on a DC project?

Post Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:36 pm
Enderandrew
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Fox resigned the cast for X-Men 3 but didn't resign Singer. They had plenty of time. Eventually WB offered him Supes and he jumped ship, but Fox screwed him on X-Men 1, 2 and 3. I wasn't shocked when he left.
Post Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:43 am
Michikawa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Really enjoyed this movie. Actors did a great job, it was especially nice to see Gary Oldman in a completely "normal" role, didn't realize he really could be so mundane Feeling, rhythm and atmosphere is very strong and nicely done throughout the movie.
Post Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:49 am
Sly Boots
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Loved this movie. Agree with Michikawa: good to see Gary Oldman (one of my faves) in an Average Joe, good guy role.
- Spinal Tap's Stonehenge
Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:49 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Looks like I stand alone
I didn't like it. Thought it had some cool ideas, but didn't really take them anywhere interesting. I didn't hate the film, but I did feel a little underwhelmed by it and disappointed to consider how much better it could have been. Christian Bale and Gary Oldman were very good, Liam Neeson unfortunately less so. Christopher Nolan is certainly a good and distinctive director, so if he returns to this character I would still be interested to see what comes next.

So I'd say: nothing special, but worth watching for fun - and yes, it is far better than most superhero movies. It certainly beats both of Joel Schumacher's hideous Batman efforts.
Post Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:53 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I thought it was a pretty good film, although I felt the pacing of the film was uneven. The first 1/3 was a bit too slow, a bit too predictable (Bruce Wayne wanders off to the mystic East, finds enlightenment, etc.), and the last 2/3 better but heavy, almost unrelentingly, on action. Saw this right before Thanksgiving.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:35 am
jeffreyu
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

yeah. even up to now im still pretty much in love with the movie. i like the parts where bruce was being trained of his MA.
Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:03 am