City of Heroes rocks
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

City of Heroes rocks

Played all the mmorpgs out there. This one is here to stay, at least for a good 2 years hehe. Urge you all to try the trial. I never read comic books, but the sheer visual quality and the amount of power that you possess in this game makes you feel awesome. This game has some of the best spell effects I have ever seen. Well thought out game. Well made too.
Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:53 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

played the trial and i really liked it. But for ~15 bucks/month i figured i would do another trial just to be sure. In the second trial i made it to lvl 24 and then realized this game is actually quite boring. Combats all require the same strategy regardless of the enemy type. Pvp is pretty fun, but that is not my main attraction to a game.
Character visual customization was really good IMO, however the game has no real depth. No interaction with the environment, no crafting, etc.
Good to just team up and mosh, but for $15/month I can find a better source for that purpose.

Potentially a really good game, but lacks sufficient depth to maintain my attention.

later, rordog
Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:28 am
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Aye. I have to agree with you Rordog. I just hit lev 25 and realized how monotonous this game really is. Only good for a solid trial play.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:16 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

though after just finishing trials for AO, Everquest 2, storm riders and rubies of evertide; I will give CoH credit. It is a lot more fun then those games.
Unfortunately it still lacks sufficient depth to keep me hooked. Some of the listed games may have good content but lack majorly in the fun department.

Depending on how well CoH and CoV mesh together they could form one heck of a mmorpg.

I had good hopes for guild wars (plus it didn't require monthly fees), but it ultimately bites. Everything instanced sacrifices a major part of mmo's just to benefit a small area of the game. It was thusly retured to EB games.

I am now trying horizons and was going to play RYL, but they cancelled trials during the $1m tourney.

I have good hopes for Vanguard and the combat in SUN could be awesome if the video is any indicator.

just my pair of cents.
later, rordog
Post Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:45 am
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I got into DAOC. I like cause it abides the true fantasy setting. No robots, no aliens, no muskets, etc. Also, the game seems to have a good solid feel. So far I love my lev 7 savage.
Post Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:30 pm
Michikawa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've played CoH and CoV for quite some time now. My main char in CoV is at lvl 45 (50 is max) and main one in CoV at level 22. Only reason I've played this long is that we have this group of 5 guys who know each other in real life who have formed a supergroup. Teaming and playing is just so much fun when you know the guys you team with and have same kind of playing style and know the tactics.

But the games themselves are basically really repetitive and boring. It's truly shame that there are basically no way to create non-repetitive MMORPGs if one wants to keep the development workhours under control.
Post Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:33 am
Skywarp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Michikawa

But the games themselves are basically really repetitive and boring. It's truly shame that there are basically no way to create non-repetitive MMORPGs if one wants to keep the development workhours under control.

True. Someday, someone will come up with a way to make the treadmill more bearable. The only one I've played that has made any steps is Guild Wars. Leveling in that game is somewhat consequential. If you're fighting your way through PvE at a casual rate, you'll hit the cap just fine.

Getting back on-topic, I've played CoV since a week before beta was gone and I am impressed. I like the fact it's (at least not to me) non-addictive. You can play for half an hour, turn it off and go do something else. Or keep playing and playing if you're hardcore. PvP and bases are an interesting addition. You don't have to be a loot whore to enjoy a measure of success. *coughWoWcough* The overall community (so far) is great. They have achieved The Balance. Child-like enough to have fun, but adult enough to not greif or turn into drama queens. *coughMxOcough*

NCSoft seems to know how to put together an MMO well. I hope CoV does well.
Post Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:09 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Sadly, Asheron's Call 2, one of my most nostalgic mmorpg experiences, is set to close up shop on Dec.31. This mmorpg happens to be the only mmorpg where I reached the level cap. It was fun being a level 50(when lev 50 was the cap) and taking on 5 lev 30 pvpers at once. I took them all down one by one. It was a true adrenaline rush. That's not to mention many other pvp experiences. The pvm experience was awesome as well. I remember taking down my first major mob, one that is definitely not soloable at my level, it was badass. I also remember walking down a hallway of torches, hearing them go from my front to back speakers was just immersive. Lastly, to my long lasting guild, Macross. Long live Macross!!

As a result, I've reactivated my account to get another fun filled experience before it goes down. Not many ppl on the servers, maybe 20 or 30 max when it used to be 800. However, the devs have dropped several xp eggs that let you gain 1 billion xp when u click on it. It lets you level up to 150 the max (after 8hrs of non-stop tapping of the quickkey). I'm experiencing all the different player classes that I never could before along with their awesome spells and skills. I really enjoyed the early levs 1-30 and soloing that is no real problem, besides when you're high level it's easy. I'm going to miss this game. Guess they are not releasing this game as public since the new Dungeons and Dragons game seems to use the same engine that Asheron's Call 2 is using. O I bid farewell to my most nostalgic mmorpgs.
Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:32 pm