Gothic 2 has stopped working.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
bootme2
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic 2 has stopped working.

I have played Gothic 2 for a week with no problems. But now my saved games refuse to load and I can't even get it to start a new game. I have tried all the usual cures. I have scanned for viruses and spywhere. I have made sure all hardware has up to date drivers. I have defrag the hard drive and reinstalled Gothic 2 a couple different ways and it still refuses to run anymore The only other program I installed while playing Gothic 2 was Windows Office Pro 2003. This program was installed on a different hard drive. I have since deleted it to see if that helps. I have a 60 GB hard drive I specifically use for games. Maybe I should reformat the drive?

My stats are as follows:

Windows XP Pro SP1
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (1866 Megahertz) Barton Series 333 Mhz FSB
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2, nForce 2 Ultra 400 Chipset
1 GB Geil PC3200 DDR Memory
ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro Series Display Adapter, Catalyst 3.10 Drivers
(2) 60 GB Maxtor 133 ATA Hard Drives
(1) 40 GB Maxtor 100 ATA Hard Drive
Pioneer DVD-ROM Model 106
Plextor CD-R Model 1610
No Sound Card. I use the nForce 2 Audio
My computer is not overclocked. All other games function correctly.

Anybody have any ideas?
Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:35 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Formating a hard drive is a big step, and in most cases really unneccessary. One would format (or reformat, to be precise) one's hdd only if it has bad sectors, or he needs different partition disposition...

How does it exactly fail to load/start? What happenes? Does it crash the game, the pc etc?
Post Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:59 pm
bootme2
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Reply to HWFanatiC

How Gothic 2 stops working is as follows: I get to the main screen, I tell it I want to load an old game or start a new game, It then proceeds to start loading the game and just freezes. The hard drive light goes out. The load screen is still up with 0% of the game loaded and that is the way it will stay until I reset the computer. I cannot even get back to Windows XP. It leaves no error messages. I have tried the game CD in both optical drives and it does the same thing. Maybe it cannot recognize the game CD?
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:52 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

I don't know about the cd, but if the game freezes your pc so that you can not even open the task manager, then we might be looking at a possible video driver problem. Although, it seems strange, since you were able to play it in the past...
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:11 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Be sure you uninstall all the atari and Jowood files that get stuck in there. Some of them stay when you do uninstall. Then it won't reinstall right.
Mark Twain
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:46 pm
bootme2
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I reformatted Hard Drive and reinsalled game

Everything runs fine now that I reformatted the hard drive. I knew that their uninstall program didn't get everything. There must of been something that corrupted the game. No worry it is gone now. Thanks for all the help. A lot quicker than waiting on JoWood.
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:33 pm