Ghost in the Shell - Innocence September 17th US Theaters
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Ghost in the Shell - Innocence September 17th US Theaters

September 17th is the USA Theatrical release of Ghost in the Shell - Innocence.

This will likely be the best movie this year, possibly of all time.

This is the direct sequel to the original movie & manga. Same director. Same composer for soundtrack. This has nothing to do with the excellent TV series out this summer "Stand Alone Complex".

What can you do to contain yourself until this hits theaters?

I suggest playing Deus Ex - Invisible War and watching tons of Blade Runner, Akira, Ghost in the Shell along with reading Phillip K. Dick & KW Jeter cyberpunk novels.

http://www.gofishpictures.com/GITS2/ - Official USA site

Feel free to post any links of actual trailers!!!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:05 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm sceptic about it. As far as I know from people who have seen it; it's not all that.
Ghost in the shell 1 was hardly worthy of all the hype it recieved way back. IMO a huge disappointment.
The Ghost in the shell series, however, are a completely different matter.

P.S. What does Akira have to do with all those mediocre cyberpunk titles?
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:05 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Akira happens in the year 2019 in NEO Tokyo. The same year as Blade Runner. The art-work is clearly influenced by Blade Runner. The Japanese love Blade Runner.

Ghost in the Shell uses the word Replicant. A word that comes from Blade Runner. Ghost in the Shell has lots of Blade Runner influence.

Matrix completely stole it's look and feel from Ghost in the Shell.

With Akira, Blade Runner, and Ghost in the Shell we are basically talking Art. We are talking 3 of the greatest movies ever made. They all are quite deep and shall remain cult-favorites for infinity!!!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:36 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Ghost in the Shell was a good but incomplete anime. I felt it rarely dwelt on interesting ideas or topics long enough to justify bringing them up. And it is not entirely apparent why things are the way they are in the movie. This is probably explained better in the manga series. A better example of Oshii's work is found in Jin-Roh (which is an outstanding anime, IMHO).
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:56 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Namirrha
Ghost in the Shell was a good but incomplete anime. I felt it rarely dwelt on interesting ideas or topics long enough to justify bringing them up.

That's my feeling too. I did enjoy it, but didn't find it totally satisfying. I also thought the "point" of Jin-Roh was a bit more intact and made it a better film. I do really like the visuals in everything I've seen by Oshii, and the trailer for Innocence looks incredible. I do intend to see it for visual pleasure alone, and if the story's good that'll be a nice bonus.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:17 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Well, here is the first review I have found...

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=17814

Sounds Awesome!!!
Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:49 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I like this line: "The dialog is smart, making heavy usage of quotes from everyone from Milton to Confucius, but it’s never convoluted."

Milton to Confucius, eh? I've been reading Milton's poetry lately, and I grew up with Confucian values, so it sounds like I might be right at home. Although, I think the review was a bit spoilerish for my taste. I hope I forget the details by September.
Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:02 am
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

Speaking of cyberpunk films coming out of Japan, who's looking forward to Casshern? I'm definitely eager to see GitS2 but Casshern is what I'm waiting for. Hopefully it will at least get a complete subtitled release on DVD in the US. Rather that than a cut version in theaters.
Post Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:20 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Amelia
Speaking of cyberpunk films coming out of Japan, who's looking forward to Casshern? I'm definitely eager to see GitS2 but Casshern is what I'm waiting for. Hopefully it will at least get a complete subtitled release on DVD in the US. Rather that than a cut version in theaters.

Thanks for the link Amelia...look interesting! I'll definitely check it out. It will not conquer the behemoth known as Ghost in the Shell though!!!
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:58 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I guess I'll go and see it. I liked the Ghost in the Shell anime, even though the manga was a lot better IMO (I'm rather partial to Shirow, anyway). I didn't like the Akira movie at all, however! Not because of the story, no... the visual style was an absolute turn-off for me.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:34 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
I guess I'll go and see it. I liked the Ghost in the Shell anime, even though the manga was a lot better IMO (I'm rather partial to Shirow, anyway). I didn't like the Akira movie at all, however! Not because of the story, no... the visual style was an absolute turn-off for me.

Have you read the Appleseed Manga? I have heard I would really like it. Is it Cyberpunk? I thought the movie sucked...and apparently so did Shirow. Shirow is having someone else make a new movie based off the Manga...hopefully IG. I really wanna read at least 1 volume of Appleseed because it looks similar to Akira & Ghost in the Shell. By the way, I forgot to mention METROPOLIS earlier in this thread for cyber/futurist works of cinematic art. It even has some of the people who worked on Ghost in the Shell & Akira.

www.darkhorse.com site. for Ghost in the Shell & Appleseed comics
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:21 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Well the full trailer is now posted on the USA site...

http://www.gofishpictures.com/GITS2/

Looks mind-blowing. Same director & composer from GITS.

Also, the 1st DVD(4 episodes) of Stand Alone Complex is out in the US. It's good compared to 99% of the other stuff coming out(anime). But, it does not come anywhere close to the original movie, or the upcoming Innocence movie. Of course, that is because it is a different director and SAC is a TV series, not a multi-million dollar movie like GITS or Innocence.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:31 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Oh, I all but forgot to answer your question. Yes, I have read Appleseed Vol.s 1-9, and I like the series a lot. I wasn't too fond of the movie, either, but I've seen worse.

Is Appleseed Cyberpunk?

I'm not sure. It's too... bright and friendly-looking to be Cyberpunk IMO. It's about a slightly dystopian future society, however, with cyborgs and artificial people and a 'benevolent' government and all the problems arising from this. Lots of politics, as is always the case with Shirow, but it's less cyberpunk than, say, his Dominion or even Black Magic series/books.

PS
I've seen the Ghost II trailer, and I MUST SEE THIS FILM.
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:41 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by kengo2019
Also, the 1st DVD(4 episodes) of Stand Alone Complex is out in the US. It's good compared to 99% of the other stuff coming out(anime). But, it does not come anywhere close to the original movie, or the upcoming Innocence movie.

Yeah, It's a lot closer to the manga than the movie.

And the trailer is, of course, awesome!
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:09 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Well, so far the movie has only hit about 40-50 theaters in the US.

Finally, 2 weeks after opening night, an indy theater is getting the flick. A two hour road-trip has been prophesized for tonight. My cyber-psyche shall endure altered states of consciousness.

I'll get back to you with full details of the mind-trip that shall ensue. This of course will depend on whether I can pull my Ghost back into this mortal Shell after said cinematic experience.

Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:14 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next