Question about the marksman skill
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Question about the marksman skill

My char has Longblades as a major and Marksman as a minor.
So far I never was able to use my marksman skill because:

a) from a distance I can't always tell if something is an enemy or not
b) To get a clear shot I must come so close that they see me before I had a chance to shoot at them.
c) the enemies just charge right in, often before I even see them, and I might have time to shoot one or two shots at them before I change to my Longblade.

So having this extra ranged weapon skill seems kinda pointless to me.
Does anyone have other experiences with the Marksman skill?
Perhaps a strategic tip so I can use the skill more effectivly?

I use all other skills that my char has, or am going to use them later, but am contemplating on starting over and taking Mercantile or speechcraft instead.
I really like how I setup my char but am having strong doubts on this one marksman skill.
Hmmm, I dunno, I guess I'm looking for opinions on this matter Please share them with me.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:35 am
dahool
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'd be very interested in a reply as well, since I seem to have a similar char setup (marksman as minor skill, longblade as major).

Thanks,

dahool
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:54 am

Love the bow

I have found the bow to be a VERY strong weapon, you can kill things at the edge of your sight if you get good with it.

A few tips:

1. Aim a little high, the farther it is away from you the higher you need to aim, start out by putting the bottom of the crosshair right on top of the enemy.

2: Make sure you pull the bow all the way back before you shoot for good damage, right now with my bonemold longbow, I can kill cliff racers and such with 2 hits.

3: Backpedal when the monster is comming at you. If you run backwards while shooting you will get 1-3 more shots in before it gets close.

4: Switch to sword or whatever when the monster gets on top of you.

5: walk around in dungeons with the bow pulled all the way back so when you see somthing you can shoot it right away.

6: Carry allot of arrows, my guy carries 100-200 arrows with him. That way I can just shoot at everything to get my skill up.

7: Don't expect to hit allot untill you get your skill up. How often did you hit with that long sword when you first got it? The bow works the same way.

After getting my masksman skill to ~50 I would have to say it is my favorite way to attack and I will never make a fighter/thief again without it unless they are magic strong and are very good at destruction.

Sean
Post Wed May 08, 2002 1:20 pm

Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

the above poster hit all the main points...

Let me add, once you get good with the bow is about the time you start finding bonus damage arrows 10+ flame/lightning, etc. That extra damage combined with basically free shots until they get close to you = easy kills.

BTW- if you use the bow you may want to run the game at FULL view, see farther away.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 1:31 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Yep...the above 2 guys got it dead on...but let me add:

Keep your fatigue level low...i.e. you don't want to be feeling tired when fighting with a bow (or any weapon, for that matter). If you're very fatigued, your aim will be off even worse than normal.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 1:53 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

bows

I am playing a modified thief and I have found my bow to be the most powerful weapon I can use. For one thind, if I want to fight something but not ever get hit. I find a place to go where the mob can't reach me, then I just start firing away while he runs around with his pants around his ankles. I have also noticed that if you pull the bow all the way back you don't have to aim as high above him. I have hit cliff racers that were like at the edge of my view(with max view) so they were of course dead before they even came close. Using a bow just seems to be so real because of actually having to aim and finding a good spot and things like that. Using my bow is by far the best thing I am doing in this game. If bow is your minor, just pay some, to get your skill to like 30 so you hit more often and get your skill up faster.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 2:03 pm
Stompy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

keep it maintained

Don't forget to keep that bow in tip-top shape! After you've used it for a while it starts to wear down and this can severely affect your aim & damage potential. You'll have to get a hammer or tongs to repair it or pay someone else to do it for you. And don't forget, this RPG is also an FPS, so use the terrain to your advantage. Get up on a hill and rain death down on your enemy. And it never hurts to just go hunting. Wander around on the side of a hill & look for monsters below. When you see one, keep shooting til it's dead. It's generally an easy way to raise your skill. Make sure you dispose of the creature's corpse when you kill it, as you can sometimes get an arrow back as well as an ingredient (and keep the planet clean!)
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:15 pm
Mltdwn

Another thing I found with my assassin. When out in the wilderness (just exploring or whatnot) try to stay on top of the ridges. Then when you see an enemy get above him on a edge of the ridge which cannot be climbed. He will keeps trying to go straight at you and will be stuck on the ground. Just plunk away at him with the bow without fear. You can do the same thing with cliff racers, as soon as you see one incoming find 2 of those tall jutting rocks that dot the ridges, line up straight with the cliff racer then run straight for them and between them. Most of the time the cliff racer cannot get between them and will just sit there trying to get at you that way. Again you can just stand back and plink away at him.

-Mltdwn
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:43 pm

Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Thank you for the replies.

I've decided to give Marksman another try and stick with my first character.
To be honest I didn't think I could hit creatures at the end of my screen so I never tried it from that far.
But I will surely try it from now on (I already play with view distance maxed so that must only make it easier)

Perhaps having it as a minor skill isn't that bad after all.
He's a melee fighter first but why not have some lesser skill with a ranged weapon.
Now that I now that I can hit them from a very long distance it just might work out for my Redguard.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:52 pm
Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

My marksman isn't Major or Minor, i just find the arrows too sweet to just sell.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:56 pm
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Anyone know of a way you can enchant Ranged ammo at a reasonable price?

My character only uses throwing stars and throwing knives, and they suck. So, since she's a mage, I figure I'd enchant some throwing stars. Well, Enchant sucks at around skill level 35+, so I figure I'd buy a simple enchantment on a throwing star. 1-4 HPs of damage (area of 4 ft) on contact. Costs around 1300 GPs. For 1 throwing star.

Ouch.

PS: Do you know how to enchant stacks?
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:59 pm