Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Tech support?????
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

I'm having problems with Gothic as well. Intermittent crashes back to the desktop. Sound stuttering problems too. Using the latest hardware drivers (video, audio, motherboard). Normally use EAX 44khz sound settings, switched to DirectXHW - some of the crashing problems went away.

Hope the patch shows up soon! I like this game!

Dual P3 1.25ghz, 512mb DDR-RAM, W2k+sp2, DirectX 8.1, SB Audigy Gamer, Hercules Prophet 3 (Geforce 3), IWill DVD-266u-RN VIA 266 chipset motherboard.
Post Thu Dec 20, 2001 7:01 pm

Well, I get stuttering sound on some occasions but it does not happen very often.

It may be because other devices have priority over the sound card, due to the IRQ configuration and/or PCI timeout settings (some PCI cards can stall the bus for quite a long time, making the sound card inaccessible for a while which will cause 'stuttering' sound). A device driver can also cause this problem by blocking interrupts for too long.

A solution may be to reassign IRQs for PCI and AGP cards, preferably assigning each card its own IRQ.
Post Thu Dec 20, 2001 7:34 pm

DABhand
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Ahhhhh I just thought of something else, did anyone with the problem of jerkiness, have a different GFX card installed on their system before changing for the new one, cause if you did Windows/Gothic may be trying to use the old card and its drivers..

Uninstall your old GFX card drivers, usually in Control Panel > Add/Remove Software and Reinstall your new card's drivers.. I had the same problem way back with another game...

It actually tried to load up 3dfx drivers instead of OpenGL for my newer card and it caused alot of hasssles..

If that Fails then i guess ill have to *shrug*
Post Thu Dec 20, 2001 8:13 pm
Pwrslm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok

I tried the IRQ thing, no go. Originally the sound card was on the same IRQ as the Video was, so it didnt hurt to change, but not the solution.

I removed everything Nvidia on my system to include the Registry. Since Nvidia was the only chip I used, there is no reason to chase any VoDoo drivers etc....but, once again, that did not resolve this situation.

I even get the stuttering when it plays the part that tells the producers names....seeing that my sound card works in every other game I have (and it is a DX compatible sound card) Im STUCK.

Any more ideas?

PS: Still no response from the Email tech support, 48 hours and counting.
Post Thu Dec 20, 2001 9:24 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Did you mail Xicat too? On their site they say you can contact them after you consulted the developer.
Post Thu Dec 20, 2001 9:48 pm

13:34 poster here. Too bad about the IRQ non-solution. You could try decreasing the PCI latency setting for your harddisk interface (IDE/UDMA/SCSI/blah) a few notches, but that can be a hassle, may lock up your system and in the end it may do nothing for you. If you want to try it anyway, a utility called PowerStrip can do it (http://www.entechtaiwan.com).

There's something with Gothic which makes this problem more apparant than it is with other games. I never get stuttering sound with other games either, but (in my case) occasionally Gothic's intense hard disk access seems to be too much and sound will get choppy for a short period of time. I never bothered to look at it because it only happened to me two or three times.

Do you have (U)DMA enabled for your harddisk? PIO mode could cause stuttering too.
Post Thu Dec 20, 2001 10:45 pm

Pwrslm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thx for helping out.

I sent another email to the other company last night. UDMA is on. Dont know about PIO right now.

I ran SiSoft Sandra and it didnt give me any tips or problems.

This is frustration Maxed out. I have a short time to return the game, and I wont wait much more so I dont get stuck with a game I cannot play. The Lack of Tech support from this game company is terrible. Even the FAQ they provide is so limited that its almost useless.

Someone out there needs to be responsible, because I am only a customer.

[ This Message was edited by: Pwrslm on 2001-12-21 08:36 ]
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 2:35 pm
Pwrslm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

oh ya

that other company....

Xicats response on the phone: We Are not Responsible. When we get around to it we will respond to E-Mail.

So thats another feather in the hat.

The "Thousands" of Emails they get keep them so busy that they cannot put a tech on the phone or respond within 24 hours to customer complaints.

Now thats how to do business. Take the money and run.

Im getting afraid of this game now. Time to seriously consider putting it back on the shelf in the store.

Gothics main website claims that this is an official site, and that since it pre-existed thier site, they referred all the traffic here. I havent seen one official tech support rep respond on any of these forums.

Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 2:59 pm

I haven't seen tech support guys around either. There are PB guys hanging around now and then, but AFAIK they're not tech support.

If UDMA is enabled than you're not running in PIO mode, so your setup seems all hunky dory there.

It's a fun game to play, but if you can't get it to behave... well... that's where it ends. Maybe return it and wait for the next patch, then try again?
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 4:21 pm

Pwrslm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

here it is, the reply:

i`m very sorry, but all my colleges are on christmas holiday and i can`t
answer your questions. please wait some days, when they are back at
work, they will answer you.

best regards and sorry about my english

Tanja Lüttenberg

(I think Tanja works for them. What do they think, that tech doesnt deserve support for a week prior to christmas? Someone needs to have an employer review the efficiency of that program. I wish I could abandon my responsibility like that at work too.....)
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 8:49 pm
Pwrslm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I fixed it.

A new sound card, no more stuttering.

The Spec's on the box that state that any DX compatible sound card will work are BoGuS.

This Game will not play with the Guillemot Maxi Muse with a CMI-8738 chipset that is completely compatible with DirectX.

I removed and reinstalled the Guillemot card 5 times, and used both the CMI and the Guillemot Drivers, and the game sound stuttered so bad the game was unplayable.

I wish they would test thier claims on more than Creative Labs chipset before they made false claims like this.

PS: If you have alot of stuttering, get a SoundBlaster soundcard, if you want to solve the problem.
Post Mon Dec 24, 2001 12:49 pm

I just got the game for christmas and the movie part runs fine but when you go to play the game the screen looks yellow like a fog all you can see is the players feet
Post Tue Dec 25, 2001 4:52 pm

This is like 3 weeks later.

I still never got a response from any sort of tech support beyond them informing me that thier tech was on vacation.

This has been one heck of a long one too.

pwrslm 1/9/02
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:34 am

Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

Their tech support is on a PERMANENT vacation.

try http://www.voodoofiles.com

they have tweaks and drivers for graphics cards.

mabe its the fog-table emulation. just disable it in your gothic.ini file and see if you can see...

Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:41 am
mersil
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Its pretty Obvious that its related to your Sound card. do you have access to at least Borrow a Creative Sound blaster card ? preferably , Live / augidy x- gamer ,

that sound card you mentioned sounds pretty generic .
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 5:56 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next