View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Sonicus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Error Message

Hey

I was playing Wizardry 8 yesterday (6/6/03) and I received an error message which said:

Error you are viewing a message intended fot the developers of Wizardry 8. Please report the following information to technical support. We appoloigize for this inconvenience

Debug assertion in module C:\Projects\Wizardry 8\Local Code\MonsterGroup.cpp line 946 failed:

Expression [FALSE] evaluates to false.

GroupIndex: ID 0 not found (C:\Projects\Wizardry 8\Engine Code\Navigator.cpp line 3708

After veiwing the message I clicked ok and it closed Wiz. 8. I don't think this is a good thiing and I don't knwo how to contact tech support so I thought I'd post something here...is there something seriously wrong or do I need to just keep playing as if it didn't occur?

Thanks

Sonicus[/quote]
Post Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:11 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Load your last save and drive on. Don't worry about the message.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:22 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree with Dte. I never saw anything like that. Sounds like a weird alignment of factors just caused an obscure bug to surface. Reloading and just playing through again to that same point will probably not cause it to happen again.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:46 am
otter
One of Us

I got those, too, sometimes, before i got my graphic card. I have one of the first issue of the game, so most of these were fixed in the patches.
Like Bilbo said, i never had a second occurance in the same place, so it's just a crash. Sir-Tech wouldn't be able to do anything now anyway.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:39 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I got a message like that (maybe the same one) a couple times. What caused it was a monster group disappearing from sight for several rounds during an extended fight and then being "rediscovered". Basically, I entered a combat with 3 groups of critters at a doorway with a hallway on the other side that immediately turned left and then back right. The first group thru the door was rather tough, so I took me 10-12 rounds to chop them up. In the meantime, I could only see groups 1 and 3 because of the shape of the hallway. After several rounds, group 2 was removed from the heads-up display (the game assumed they moved out of range). Since they were stuck between groups 1 and 3, they couldn't move at all. Once I wiped out group 1, I walked (in combat) thru the doorway. When group 2 suddenly came into view, the game puked.

I sent the error into Sir-Tech (this was quite a while back). Linda said the game lost track of group 2 for an unknown reason (they should have stayed on the heads-up even though they were out of sight). They couldn't reproduce the situation at Sir-Tech, so they called it an unusual situation and told me to drive on.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:33 pm
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The same thing happened to me when I was going from the King's Chamber to the hidden portal, I had left 1 rapax in the adjoining room, teleported before it went to combat, did what I needed to do(if you've been there you know what I am talking about) and telported back. The rapax turns around to go into combat and then I got a very similar error message. I would have to reload and go back to that part and each time it would happen, so I would save before I teleported and kill the rapax first and then save and go in there, otherwise the game would keep locking up with that error message when I teleported back...I suspect because the computer I was using at the time had not had the virtual memory upgraded that somehow by the time I got back it would run out of room and "lose" something; becuase I had a similar problem with other RPG's after I had played awhile, I would crash...so until I was able to upgrade I had to save more frequently and sometimes shut down the computer and restart. Push on through like the others said and try saving more ofter(like every hour or so) and restarting after saving...it will also help the frame speed if you do this.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:20 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I got an error like that on ascension peak before the patch.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:06 am
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

I get that same error message when certain conditions apply during large battles. After a long fight with Al-Sadaxus,almost a half hour, I was getting the upperhand and fade to error. Drats! I've tried all patches and the latest patch helps, I'm using V1 and living with the occasional crashes.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:03 pm
Sonicus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I did reload from my last save and it hasn't happened again.

I have also started saving more and then restarting, particularly after long battles, and I have noticed my pages load a lot faster and combat moves faster as well after.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:54 pm