Great Review
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Great Review

@Xen - I just finished your review of HotU, great review! If I weren't buried in ToEE I'd start up a new game of Hordes ... as it is I am eagerly awaiting the first wave of mods to come out so I can test the mettle (metal?) of my insanely overpowered veteran of that campaign.

Thanks for the review
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:05 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Thanks. I thought it was one of my better reviews but I'm defending it here and abroad so I guess I thought wrong.

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism... I like it. Several sources stating that I gave it a high mark because it was Bioware and expected (no less than five sources so far, and rising) are the ones that I take offense to. I gave it a high mark because it was a quality game... not because of who was on the box. I paid money for it just like everyone else did and if I didn't get my money's worth I'd be the first to raise hell.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:47 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Well, if I see any more activity on the games comments section *here* I'll jump in w/ my 2 cents.

Heck, I never finished the OC, I just lost interest as Morrowind dragged me away. After MW I just never felt like completing it, it wasn't that much fun. HotU on the otherhand, I ripped through that and missed it when it was done *shrug*

Sorry you are taking heat for a well written review.
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:52 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Hey Xen, great review!

(who's criticizing you over it?)

one question though... did your game performance REALLY drop when you updated from a crappy 10 yr old geforce 2 to that shiny new Radeon 9600? how much (did it drop), and after you fixed it, was the end result enough to warrant the upgrade? i.e. can you now play at a higher resolution with more graphic options and everything is still smoother than before. (also, did you remember to enable the 64MB texture pack in the configuration program?)

like you, i've got an old geforce and have been eyeing a new radeon to take me into the space age. but i've heard complaints like yours before, so without looking into this, i can't take the plunge.
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:05 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

As I've written elsewhere Xen, it was a great review that I totally agreed with. You will always get criticism, as people's tastes differ, you just have to learn to ignore it. After all, a review is YOUR opinion and nothing more. Heck, I've heard some people actually liked Diablo and PoR2!!!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:22 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

A fight broke up over RPGCodex because of that review .

quote:
Originally posted by konny666
i've got an old geforce and have been eyeing a new radeon to take me into the space age. but i've heard complaints like yours before, so without looking into this, i can't take the plunge.

My 9600 works fine on KoTOR, NWN, NOLF, SW: Jedi Outcast, and SW: Jedi Academy. You just need to know how to adjust several proper settings for the driver, and in certain case the BIOS.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:02 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Konny: The game became unplayable after I upgraded. Utterly. I really did have to go check the tech support forums for help (I really never would have thought it was a mouse setting) and I did have to downgrade to 3.10 drivers. Which it turns out isn't that surprising because from what I can tell the 4.10 drivers seem to mostly fix issues on WinXP... which I'm not using.

After everything was working, though, oh yes... such a wonderful thing. I turned the texture detail to maximum and everything looks so much crisper. The particle shading is new to me and I got to fawn over the shiny water in both HoTU and in Star Wars Galaxies (I took my Landspeeder out over the ocean and watched the sun set while reflecting off the beautiful water effects).

Corwin: Criticism is nothing new to me... it certainly doesn't bother me. Long ago I learned that not only can you never please all the people all of the time but rare is the occassion when you can please any of the people any time.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:21 pm
corwin

Xen, you might enjoy this:

http://www.pvponline.com/archive/2004/pvp20040131.gif

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:16 am
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

rpgcodex? from what i've heard, "they" think that BioWare is the anti-christ. so i'm not particularly surprised if they tore Xen a new one for daring to say that Hordes was actually *good*...
Post Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:26 am