View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
ixo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

final summation

Gothic2 - at least in german demo form - is brilliantly realised

gotten to all areas, found all the secrets, traversed the toughest spots, scaled the highest mountains, found the best items and managed to kill the mecenaries guarding the light house tower to get a stupendous spell (1000 what?!) 270 arrows later and a spare pair of underpants and I'm now at level 8 with nice sword (still leather armour, ah well) and 4000 gold

and through all of that I can safely say:
THIS GAME IS A SERIOUS CONTENDER FOR BEST RPG OF 2002

it's smooth, transitionally it's pacey and the visuals are just right for this type of game - it's isn't overkill by a long stretch, but it sure as hell has so much in it that the thought of a 400mb demo and a 2-3gb full game is causing me to wish they bring out another 400mb demo that I WOULD DOWNLOAD for another section of the game
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:33 pm
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

So... considering the size of the real game my estimate is that you have at least 30 more 'final conclusions' hidden in your sleave! :p

Why not buy the German game if you cannot wait (I know I couldn't!)? The language is not all that difficult and you will learn wonderful German words (like Dreckvieh and Mistkerl! ), and besides... it's the authentic thing.

And yes, those mercenaries at the lighthouse are a pain, even in the full game. There's just no way to stop arrows and the guys all have 100% bow skill. A smart hero will learn a lesson from that encounter.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:06 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

The bowmen are easy:

let them follow you to the city - the city guards cut them into stripes
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 5:09 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

*spoilerish*
I let the shadowbeast take care of them.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:49 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehe naah the best way to kill them is to g0o to the city and buy some fireball spells belive me 4-5 firespells on them and there no more Bowmans
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:51 pm
Alistair
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

So I finally downloaded the demo...

Looking good. If any of you dev types are reading, the only thing that annoyed me was the inability to navigate in the option screen with the WADS keys, which are used for both movement and dialogue. Having to switch back to cursors was just irritating.

And was it me, or was the max view distance much less than in G1?

A.
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:07 pm
ixo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

In Gothic1 I never used the old trick of 'getting someTHING big and bad to do the dirty work for me'

Why don't I get the Gothic2 German? - it's been tempting me for days. Believe me, I've bitten down nails and my house is falling apart.
I'll wait for the English version.

Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:14 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehe if u let someone else to kill them u will lose some nice exp and maybe even goods what they had on if a creature kills them then u need to kill that creature to get to thebody and when some guard kills it then he will take fast his gold and even weapon mayb
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:52 pm
RobKob
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

@Alistair
You are right. I'd say the view distance in G2 is perhaps sixty percent of the view distance in G1. However the new world is desingned in a way that it is not too obvious - unless you are standing on a mountain. But it's very obvious in the old world, especially when you walk down the same path that you used at the beginning of G1. Anyway you can still look much further than in Morrowind. It just shows how great the view distance in G1 was.
Post Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:31 pm