Usergroups
Wizadry 8 Vs Gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Ikea-BoY
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I bought gothic around 2 weeks ago.. ilove this game. its great.. YET.. i have been told wizadry 8 is a pretty decent game

im asking all you critics out there your expert opinion and comparison between the two games

am i likely i enjoy wizadry8 if i like gothic?.. i have never been big on rpg's

could you also recommend some other rpgs that you think i would like

Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:25 pm
Darnalak
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

To be honest, there are very few games with the kind of direct focus Gothic has. I loved wizardry 8, but there really is no comparison between W8 and Gothic, the focus is completely different.

My recommendation is, if you like RPG's play it, if you like "gothic" and hate all the other RPG's you've played... heheh I wouldn't buy it.

Darnalak,
The Necromancer
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 8:56 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Apples and oranges. The only thing those two games have in common is that they're RPGs (debatably).

It's sort of like asking 'If I liked Total Recall, will I like Kindergarten Cop?' They both have Schwartzenegger as a common point... but that's where the similarities end.

Gothic is a 3rd person action adventure single character RPG. Wiz 8 is a party based turn based combat RPG.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:01 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Steer clear of Wizardry 8 unless you want large portions of your life to disappear forever and leave only fond memories behind.
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:15 am

steer clear of wizardry 8 unless you want to play a piece of trash game. if you want to play a rpg with a full party, play baldurs gate or icewind dale... wizardry 8 was horrible, waste of cash... and if you disagree with me, {Removed spoon reference}

[ This Message was edited by: sauron38 on 2002-02-22 14:21 ]
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 8:12 pm

The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

If you liked Gothic, you'd most likely like Morrowind. Morrowind is not out yet, but hopefully it will be sometime this year.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 8:54 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

But if not this year then definately next, dammit! We've only been saying that for three years.

Heh. I will believe Morrowmind is out when I've got it in my hands.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:42 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

I thoroughly enjoyed Wiz8 AND I thoroughly enjoyed Gothic. Unless you are one of those who simply hate turn based combat or hate handling groups of characters, you will like Wiz8. But as others said, it is so totally different you cannot compare - you might as well compare Gothic to Doom.

Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:02 pm

Ive never seen Wizardry 8 in the shops.
Is it out in the Uk?
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:25 pm

Bhaal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm still waiting for Neverwinters Night, for my pleasure I bought Gothic. My opinion is that this is a whole other genre of RPG then Baldur's Gate, I'd like the both. Gothic as much more action in it and it's more concentrated on action then on party and caracter building. For wizardy 8 I can't tell you anything, because I haven't played it.

Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:35 pm

wiz8 is a cool game there are like 15 classes and 11 races so there is a lot of variety, plus you can have a party of 1-8 people, so there is a lot of strategy to it. It can get a little repititious though in the combat, Gothic is much more fun in my opinion but I spent a long time playing Wiz8 too, but I never beat wiz8 like I did gothic.

I just got icewind dale and i have baldurs gate and I just can't understand what people see in them. Can anyone explain what is good about them?
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 5:31 pm

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

BG2 - the story, npcs, interesting quests.
Icewind Dale - money pit.
Post Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:44 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

quote:

I agree. I hate it when game developers like Black Isle feel forced to just hack out some simplistic crpg really quick like that because they are hurting for cash and can't afford to take the time to create a really good, in-depth crpg. I'm worried Icewind Dale 2 will be another hack job.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:31 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-02-26 18:31, The Hulk wrote:
quote:

I agree. I hate it when game developers like Black Isle feel forced to just hack out some simplistic crpg really quick like that because they are hurting for cash and can't afford to take the time to create a really good, in-depth crpg. I'm worried Icewind Dale 2 will be another hack job.

I really like IWD, I like it also because it is not "in-depth". Story is good (though linear), there are many battles and you alway know where to go and what to do. Val - there are people who doesnt like BG because it is too difficult. IWD is more "action based" and I like it more than BG2.

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-02-26 18:55 ]
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 12:54 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I am a self-confessed Baldur's Gate series addict. I base the quality of a new game on whether I finish it before I am compelled to start a new game of BG or BG2. Wiz 8 - I was enjoying it, but got bogged down. Started my fifth game of BG1TOTSC and took my PC all the way through BG2TOB. Never finished WIZ8.

Gothic - I will definitely finish before the the BG bug bites again.

WIZ 8 was a good game, like Might and Magic 6 - however, both were abandoned about half way through. Personally I think they are just too complicated and action oriented for me. I might finish them someday, but I suspect I'll play another game of Gothic long before that.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:00 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next