Post Thu May 22, 2003 9:40 pm

Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Kick Ass Game

quote:
Originally posted by Yobe
... best most random strylines

Why "random storylines"? It's not like RPGs with randomized plot like Darkstone.
Post Sun May 25, 2003 5:18 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I played FF7 on both the PS and later the PC. The port to the PC was poorly done, it had many graphics glitches-some monsters that would disappear while you where fighting them, or they where just white blocks foating in the air. I seemed to recall the summon Odin movie was flawed, too. It either locked up, or parts of Odin disappeared or flickered. A sad poot for a great title. I esp. loved the mixing of the materia (spelling?) which kept the game interesting, and the very few and very short FMVs where very sharp on the PS version.
LB
Post Sun May 25, 2003 5:33 pm
Silvayn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

None of the gfx glitches described above EVER happened to me. Never forget the rule #1 of PC gaming: Thou shalt not play without latest gfx drivers. I really liked FF7 and I hope I'll find time to replay it some day.
Post Sun May 25, 2003 10:35 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I didn't have any graphics glitches either. Those problems are definitely down to your system, Lord_Brownie.

The pre-rendered backgrounds were obviously taken straight from the PS1 version, because the low resolution was noticeable compared to the sharpness of the little polygon characters... and speaking of polygon characters... did anyone else notice they used 3 or 4 different sets of models & rendering styles for different parts of the game? The exploration scenes had those little flat-shaded squat guys with massive heads, the battle scenes had characters with totally different proportions (more typical manga-style) and more detail, most of the movie scenes had realistic(ish) proportions and rendering... and I'm sure there were one or two movie scenes that used the realistic rendering with the short, big-head proportions (like the one where Cloud jumps onto the train). Totally bizarre and inconsistent, I can't figure out why they decided to do this, but it didn't harm the game for me. In fact, i thought it was pretty funny. But I have heard one or two people complaining about it.

I loved the game overall, even though it features some of the conventions of Japanese RPGs that I hate (random battles are a totally weak and lazy way of prolonging gameplay - FF7 had enough "real" content that it didn't need random battles; it could have just restricted them to certain parts of the world-map for levelling up purposes), and there was absolutely no reason to make you watch those 5-minute summoning animations every single time - that was just ludicrous. But despite my complaints, it's still one of the most memorable games I've ever played... Sephiroth is an excellent villain (with a great personal theme tune ), the storytelling and direction are fantastic, and the magic system is pretty clever.

Post Tue May 27, 2003 1:41 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Dispite the graphics problems I still played throught the game on the PC. I can agree with Piln more, dispite this game haveing all the elements I normaly dislike in Japanese RPGs I still loved this title. I tried this title on different machines all drivers updated, which is my pet peive with computers, and was unable to get rid of the many graphics glitchs it contained. I have 5 computers now, all with different configs, including the two I played that game on, and its is still messup graphicly.
LB
Post Wed May 28, 2003 5:05 am
Odin1985
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well i just love ff7 i have played som many times that i tend to forget, i have completed all 100% game sonly left are a few lvl4 limit breaks and last weapons, but i did got teh last materia the knigth of the round material, and destroyed all the weapons

Coder, Webmaster and Modeler
Post Wed May 28, 2003 6:00 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by piln
I can't figure out why they decided to do this

They do it in regular mangas quite often as well, changing from 'normal' to SD (super deformed) and back. Or the slapstick, sometimes there are pretty unexpected slapstick humor scenes in an otherwise serious manga, often rendered in SD... hmmm, I take it only a Japanese comic book artist will be able to tell us the reason behind this issue.
Post Wed May 28, 2003 6:10 am
Cold Flail
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I really enjoyed the game on both ports, plus had no problems.

Look for Kagemusha in WoW, he'll be the night elf hunter shooting an arrow at your heart
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:52 pm
Titus_Kisari
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Still the best role playing game available on most formats. An extremely popular title with a huge following. So ingrained into the psyche of avid gamers quotes can often be found in rewiews of other games.

[quote]personally, I like it.

[i]A lot of debate on the most popular cast member. Cloud is obviously the favorite. Tifa and Aeris (but...why?) and close seconds.

quote:
Yuffie owns them all though...

Heh, heh...

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:56 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I'm not a big Japanese RPG guy, but FF7 was a very very good game. I had some problems running because my computer wasn't that great, but I finished and loved it. Another game of the same type that I really enjoyed was Anachronox, which I thought was underrated at the time.
Post Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:57 am