Usergroups
Divine Divinity
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
Schogger
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

If DD reminds me of anything, then it's the Ultima VII saga Black Gate/Forge of Virture & Serpent Isle/Silver Serpent.
And that goes even for some very small details.

All I can say, is if they can pull it off to come even close to the spirit of that still unsurpassed classic, they got me already bagged as an obsessive follower.

Frankly, it's been bloody years since I've got the tell-tale Goosebumps in anticipation by just going through the feature listings and FAQs on their page.

Can't WAIT!!

live-wired
Schogger
Post Tue Nov 06, 2001 3:50 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I think people shouldn't think badly of the Diablo comparison. What Diablo has, that is right and good, is it's responsive user interface, it's smooth operation and clear user interface graphics. What is lacks is depth in gameplay (and arguably a lot of it ).

So you shouldn't think of the comparison with Diablo based on the screenshots as anything bad, because Diablo is actually, visually, quite damn good.
Post Tue Nov 20, 2001 2:42 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I can only agree with you Maggot, I like Diablo 2 also in all it's simplicity. However I do understand the developers point of view, who tried to make something new and original, and then we just come here and compare it to this and that. Maybe a bit disappointing for a creator of a new world.
Post Thu Nov 22, 2001 9:02 am
Schogger
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Comparisons to Diablo/D2 are indeed leading nowhere.
Tell-tale signs are for instance that the Diablo makers never even rated the games as RPGs, but as advanced rekindlings of such ancient online Hack & Slay classics like 'Nethack'.

DD & Diablo are two fundamentally different kinds of games with superficial similarities in perspective and some details concerning the combat system, but that's already where the similarities end.

I'm actually a Diablo fan, and not least because of the great visuals and its general atmosphere.
It might not be cutting edge technology, but I don't care, really. It doesn't matter whith what brush a painter paints, but it matters no end if the painter's any good. -g-
And the Diablo 'painters' are bursting with talent and the ever so rare sense for a good atmosphere.

Anyway, since 95, I've always had one or the other Diablo game on my hard drive, just in case I need a quick fix.

RPGs like Ultima or DD, on the other hand, are like thick novels. You don't just jump in occasionally to slash a few baddies and hunt for a decent armour. You play them like a slowly unfolding and deepening saga.
The best of the best are able to merge everything, from the story down to the smallest gameplay detail, in a way that makes a game of such complete depth and variety as no other genre is capable of.

No idea if DD will be up there with the greats, but I've rarely seen such a mass of promising info in advance.

fingers crossed
Schogger
Post Fri Nov 23, 2001 11:43 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Well, yes the similarity between Diablo 2 and Devine is only superficial IMHO too.
I guess I started this topic a few pages back by quoting a reviewer, who pointed out these graphical similarities between these two games, and nothing else. I guess the following posts blowed it up to a totally comparison between these two games, which I once and for all want to put a thick stick through: Devine Devinity & Diablo 2 is two complete different games!!!!!! Not comparable in gameplay. Also for the reasons "Schogger" mention above.
That said. I want to get back to DD only.
The game really looks promising. The feature list looks great, but it's no garanty for a good game concept. I hope a upcomming Demo can confirm our expectations.
Post Fri Nov 23, 2001 1:35 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3