d&d movies
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
ryley
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

d&d movies

with all this new cinematic technologies we have today, you guys would think that they'll be able to make good fantasy movies. instead, they make crud like that dungeons and dragons movie with damon wayans, did any of you pay to see that movie by the way?
if you guys had a choice which fantasy movie would you like these guys to make? for me, it would be dragonlance. i mean, they can do so much in that world. and the story is the best.
Post Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:25 am
mikelhall
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Well, now that WoT is under the PnP DND license, I say make a Wheel of Time movie(s). That would be killer...

=Member of the Worshipers of the Written Word=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Non-Flamer's Guild=
=Member of the Followers of Righteousness=
Post Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:06 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I'd second Dragonlance. If they can condense lord of the rings into three movies, they can condense the Chronicles into 3 movies.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:20 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

A "me too", to that!

Dragonlance (the chronicles, and the time of the twins) is of course the best AD&D fiction out there. I think the Icewind Dale trilogy is second, with some of the Dark Sun series (there were more than one, you know), as well as Times of Trouble. I liked some of the Ravenloft books as well.

Bear in mind, that I read those as a teenager. I might have a different opinion if I read them now, I have found that to be the case often
As a teenager, I was more into 'poor boy saves the world' and 'good vs. evil' than I am now.

EDIT: no, well, I didn't quite like the movie. It was okay, though, since up until LOTR, you didn't get quality fantasy movies. LOTR has at least changed that, I hope it will catch on as a mainstream Hollywood genre. Without the bells and whistles that might entail, of course (damn you soppy, politically correct Americans )
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:58 am
ryley
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

actually i thought of a couple of pretty good fantasy movies. have any of you guys seen a movie called "dragon slayer", it was an 80's movie, but a good one. the other is "excalibur" that 3 our movie, good costumes and good casting. another movie that i think would be a good one, would be about drizzt d'urden, the dark elf trilogy.
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:00 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I saw Dragon Slayer. It wasn't too bad. Certainly better than normal fantasy fare.
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:05 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

If we're going down memory lane here, how about "Clash of the Titans"? "Excalibur" was quite good, also.

As for the original thread, I'd feel pretty good about a movie (or movies) based on any David Eddings series and perhaps a David Gemmell book or two. The Wheel of Time would work pretty well, too.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:25 am
Gothmog
Village Leader
Village Leader

"Willow": mostly ignored but good fun film, also must admit shameful weakness for Arnold as Conan."Lord of the Rings" has set the new standard so perhaps its success will set of a wave of imitations like "Star Wars"did for science fiction- some may even be worth watching.

Personally would love to see quality adaptations Of Moorcock's Elric or Leiber's Fafhard and Grey Mouser
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:19 pm
ryley
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

speaking of arnold schwarzenegger, don't you guys think that he would make the perfect barbarian, if they ever made a diablo movie. i mean, that role would be perfect for him. all he would have to do is hack n slash the enemy, and say one liners, like "i'm over burdened" or " i can't carry anymore" and then just keep on hacking n slashing. great role. no talking all action.
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:36 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

How about the Raymond E Feist books / Krondor games? Some of the best fantasy books ever written IMO and Return to Krondor was an outstanding game.
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 9:15 am
Danny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

There will be another Conan movie...King Conan if i'm correct. Also, George R.R. Martin's books would make one hell of a movie!
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:05 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

quote:
Originally posted by Danny
, George R.R. Martin's books would make one hell of a movie!

No, they are way to in-depth. Did you ever the Dune movie from the eighties. That book way only about 350 pages, but in a four hour movie they had to leave out half the book. If anyone tried to turn one of Martin's 800 page books into a movie in would take them two hours just to introduce all the characters.
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:16 pm
Danny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Suicidal Cockroach
quote:
Originally posted by Danny
, George R.R. Martin's books would make one hell of a movie!

No, they are way to in-depth. Did you ever the Dune movie from the eighties. That book way only about 350 pages, but in a four hour movie they had to leave out half the book. If anyone tried to turn one of Martin's 800 page books into a movie in would take them two hours just to introduce all the characters.

Hey! But that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be one hell of a movie!

just kidding m8, you are right on the point that it would be far to much information for one movie.....if they made 10 movies though...

*Edit: I noticed that [size] commands don't work
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:48 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by Suicidal Cockroach

Did you ever the Dune movie from the eighties. That book way only about 350 pages, but in a four hour movie they had to leave out half the book.

Dune is one of my favourite movies. I recently bought the TV series that was produced for the Hallmark channel. Whilst it was good then main thing it showed me was that the original movie was very well made and although they missed out a lot of detail it still told the story very well (apart from the weirding modules (sound based weapon ????).

Anyway people are forgetting some of the other classic fantasy movies from the 80's what about Krull or Ladyhawk? I will also admit to owning Beastmaster and Hawk the Slayer but will also admit they are a bit pants

I was some what dissapointed in the D&D movie as they missed a good opportunity to do something new. Unfortunatley they took the standed Hollywood route and created a formulaic movie. Jokey sidekick, happy ending and hammed-up villian (I still weep for Jeremy Irons).

(Just as a little aside to any one who owns D&D on DVD look at the deleted scenes for the one that feature Gary Gynax, when the director says "Cut" have a look at Jeremy Irons face - OMG how much does he not want to be there )
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:07 am
ryley
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

It is disappointing to see that a television show like hercules or zena was able to produce better settings,costumes, and characters, than any modern fantasy movie. Not that there are any "modern" ones, with the exception of LOTR, which did a really good job. Hopefully, this trend will catch on, so that hollywood would take the genre seriously.
What did you guys think of "Reign of Fire"? To me, it was kind of weird. With dragons in the future? I don't know. It just didn't seem to fit.
Another great movie back in the 80s was Princess Bride. Now that was a good movie, along with Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 3:59 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next