Kerry (non-US)
47%
 47%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 46

Author Thread
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

You mean CNN is biased towards Bush too!! I always thought FOX News was biased towards Republicans and CNN was neutral. If CNN is biased toward Bush than what is FOX. This changes my outlook on everything I thought I knew.
quote:
You must, un-learn, what you have learned, by Master Yoda

I went to bc.co.uk and read the article about the 58,000 missing ballots in Florida. I had heard about the missing ballots from Broward County in Florida on the news already. Still, this article is the first to give me this information.
quote:
From article, "Florida ballot papers go missing", BBC News UK edition online
In 2000, Broward gave Al Gore his biggest margin among Florida counties. He won 67% of the vote there, while losing the state to George W Bush.
But people will say that this is an honest mistake; that the post office lost the ballots; that 58,000 peices of mail destined for different addresses got lost between the post office and the recipients, not between the sender and the post office.

Maybe this is an honest mistake. I hope it is. If so, it should be fairly easy to correct it. I mean we are talking about a block of 60,000 absentee ballots. Somewhere there has to be a list of who the ballots were going to, right. It has to be someone's job to actually take the ballots to the post office, right. Ballots are made of paper, so we can print more of them, right. FedEx and UPS will deliver letters the next day, right. So no one should lose their vote over something like this. I mean it is an just an honest mistake, riiiight.
Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:54 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Darius Cole - Care must be taken when lifting quotes ... and the BBC should know better. Yes Broward County was very heavily Gore ... but that was with out most of the absentee ballots 'cuz those from the military (about 90% or so) were disallowed. Since most of the military voted anti Gore this means the 67% would've been that much lower. But Democratic operatives had the ballots excluded since they were not individually post marked ... a condition that while correct under the letter of the law had been overlooked for military mail in the past since military mail is always bulk mailed. So by applying the letter of the law the Gore campaign excluded every service man voting in Florida ... this from the same campaign that wanted "to count every vote".

Anyway, the same logic about overseas ballots applies this year. The majority of those missing votes would be of no help to a democratic candidate.

Isn't it odd how the facts can be spun to totally invert a situation?

As to CNN being biased ... this is a topic I've not got the energy to go into today.
Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:24 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Err...OOkaaay...That doesn't have anything to do with the ballots missing from this year. These are not military ballots are they?

It no longer suprises me that the facts of any situation can be spun away from the truth. George W. Bush has done it his entire term. Not that he invented 'spin', though.

Since, we are talking about spin, tell me what kind of spin you would put on this.
Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:47 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

With that many missing they'd have to be in there. Otherwise the county would be mostly empty in November *grin*. But here I am working on guesses only ... but pretty good ones. If all but the military ballots had been lost, this would be front page news on the NY Times and Washington Post ... seeing as how it isn't, I think it's a safe assumption they got 'misplaced' as well.
Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:56 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

If there really were 58,000 missing ballots that the Postal Service misplaced, then I would have gotten a lot more calls from Florida today than just that one lady wondering where her sample ballot was.

Funny story time: Earlier this week I got a call from a woman who could easily be called a conspiracy theory nut-job. She was from New York and had sent in her absentee ballot via the mail. She had used a special service called Certified (that's legal proof of mailing and the item has to be signed for). This was probably holding up the delivery of the item. But she was convinced that the Democrats were trying to prevent her from voting for Nader, nevermind the fact that the mail piece is sealed, hasn't been delivered yet, and the fact that no one probably cares who she voted for.
She also believed her phone was tapped and that federal agents were following her around. Why? Because she supports Nader.

*sigh* I really wish that mental hospitals would stop handing out our number to their patients.
Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:47 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by Darrius Cole

Since, we are talking about spin, tell me what kind of spin you would put on this.

Just like this!
Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:52 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

This is cool. Some guy pointed a gun at somebody for saying "Go Kerry".

Ah, the joys of mixing the right to bear arms with the freedom of speech.

http://www.local10.com/news/3866041/detail.html

This is going to be fun to watch on TV... safely out of blast range.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:57 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Much needed humor injection
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:24 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

That was just priceless.
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:37 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

quote:
Originally posted by Jung
quote:
Originally posted by Secret Agent Lawanda
I'm thinking of flipping a coin. Heads - Bush, Tails - Kerry
;p

Wha!?! (clickey) :rplaugh:

Didn't get my joke I take it? I guess not everyone gets my twisted, sick sense of humor. God knows my mother doesn't. ;p
Nice article btw.
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:48 am
maic_ro
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Is there any chance to change the election process ... I mean why the americans keep this outdated and faulty process...is becouse has history or becouse they really think is working as it is suppose to?
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:40 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

http://www.yahoo.com/

Latest Electoral Projection; Bush 249, Kerry 242 - so close. Let's see who win in Ohio.
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:38 am
MtnDwarf
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If you think our voting process is outdated and doesnt serve its purpose then you clearly dont know what your talking about and need to learn something about the subject.
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:20 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
Much needed humor injection

Very good one!!
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:14 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

@ MtnDwarf:

I dont want to start an argument, but I personaly dont understand why on earth you guys have this electoral college thing. To me that just stinks of fake democracy.

If a couple of hundred people can override the popular vote, then how can it be a true democracy?

Some people have told me its to do with not making a particular state too powerful. But again that just stinks of fake democracy. The USA is supposed to be a unified country. Why on earth are you looking at the voting process by breaking it into states?

Surely the popular vote should be all thats required. One vote is no more important than another. Your geographic location within the US should have no relevance...

Just my two cents
Post Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:43 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next