Usergroups
Why I have never tried a MMORPG
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Oh, one more thing about Eve that I *must* mention.

Remember that Eve Online is a PvP game. Meaning that anyone can kill anyone if they so choose. Of course there are means to control that but in the end it is like that. If someone wants to fire at you, he can do so.

However, the starter systems are quite heavily protected (security level 0.5 .. 1.0 systems) by police so there is no real threat to be killed (I've never been killed yet but I play pretty carefully:). If someone chooses to fire at you in such high security system then he will be hunted down by the police.

The real problems and danger begin when you grow up so much that you need to move out from the starter systems. (Eve galaxy is HUGE). There are player pirate corporations (guilds) that just *kill* and rob other people. But they can not come to the high security level systems. Some of them guard the popular trade routes and kill innocent travellers just for the fun of it. And some of the guilds are BIG.

But of course, it's part of the game and you are free to join such pirate corporation
Post Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:10 am
armnhamr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Interesting

I couldn't imagine staying away from a game for fear that it might not be around in 5 or 10 years. I play these games, I don't marry them.

Of course that brings me to my next point, which is that after six years and four mmorpgs, I don't play them any more. The final dealbreaker for me was inability to play the game on my own time and my own terms.

When it comes to entertainment, I like to be able to sit down, get right to the fun and break off and leave when I feel like it. Each successive game made it harder and harder to do that.

When a typical gaming session involves some or all of the following: a big chunk of time up front coordinating with other people and maybe another big chunk of in-game travel time to finally get somewhere and maybe have to take a number and stand in line to do something and after you finally get to the "fun" part, you can't necessarily leave when you want to without risking losing whatever you just gained or the social penalty of disrupting the group.

It's just too much overhead. Makes me long for the simpler days circa 1996 when graphics were crude, grouping was non-existent and I could pop in and out of Meridian 59 at the drop of a hat.
Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:30 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2