Members
Usergroups
Many troubles for a newbie
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
perscorillo

Many troubles for a newbie

1. Can't enter Experimental Weapon Room. Got pass, fixed machine. No use.
2. Messed up with the dungeon at the cemetery. Is there a big lose if I won't enter it?
3. There is a tree near entrance(that one with Chief Gari) in Trynton. that tree has a rope but it's too high and I can't get it. Is that a real entrance or it's just my imagination?
4. When I try to enter Ascension Peak through the gate next to Bela, the game cracks and the computer returns to Windows. What that might me?
Please help me. Thank you very much.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:32 pm

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

1. Did you use the pass on the machine?
2. No.
3. Yes. I think so.
4. That's a known issue, install the patch.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:45 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

3.) the rope have to be lowered (there is another way to this tree). This rope will be a shortcut later in the game.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:59 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

4) Not sure where you are (you could be in 1 of 2 places, if you're not being precise - the second one would be at one part of AP to another part of the game....). I only ran into this in the second place, right before the endgame. Patch supposedly addresses this issue, but I had a problem at the second location even with the patch installed. Fortunately, I did a save right before I got into this situation. Then after I crashed back to the desktop, I restarted my computer and relaunched Wiz8. This time, I was able to follow Bela into the endgame. [This would hopefully work even if you're running in Iron-Man mode, as you would just be resuming after your last save.] Even though it's addressed by the patch, I suspect it's really a memory issue.

Minor spoiler if you're trying to get to AP from where you first meet Bela:
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
You get to AP, but you can't do anything productive in this area except find some minor items (arrows and stuff) and fight some Rapax for experience. So if you're crashing trying to do this, just skip it and focus on finding one of the two more productive ways of getting to AP.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:34 am

Val, HiddenX and Bilbo thank you very much.
It remained a problem: the machinery in Mt Gigas Upper Caves. When I use the pass, it says smth like this: "It's not the right time to proceed to this place." It drives me crazy 'cause I did EVERYTHING it was needed. It is extremely odd that I have now 2 level5 passes but I can't explain why. However the real problem is with that damn machinery. And I won't give up 'cause I know there is a damn good weapon inside there.
I'm so ashamed I have to bother you again...
Please help me
PS I've just found out that Faerie can use an extremely powerful weapon but I don't have a Faerie in my party... nor a mook for using the Giant's Sword
I feel like giving up but I know I won't
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:32 pm

If that's the Rocket Launcher you're talking about, that thing is subcaliber. It does less damage per round than a Doubleshot Sling with Impaling (or Medusa) Stones.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:05 am

Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

You're welcome. To try to help a little further:

I don't remember the exact order of things up in the Mt. Gigas Caves anymore, but here's a possibility for you: When it's time to go behind that machinery, you will have been given a quest requiring you to do so by the Umpani. Were you given that quest? If not, get it and then return to this area.

It also sounds like your savegame file has been corrupted, for which I have 2 suggestions: 1) revert to an earlier save and replay the game to this point; and 2) contact Sir-Tech, as they will repair corrupted savegame files if you haven't been using a trainer. See www.Wizardry8.com for more details on this.

I'm not sure what weapon you're talking about. If it's the cane of corpus (CoC), it requires a faerie ninja specifically. And it's nowhere near Mt. Gigas. My first party had a mook monk (and my second one has no mook at all), so I could not use the giant sword either. You can't have everything in this game. If it's any consolation, and it should be no surprise to you, that critical items are usable by any race / class. So if you can't use a giant sword or a CoC, you'll still win. And you'll also find plenty of cool items that mook fighters and faerie ninja can't use.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:37 pm
Scorillo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I appreciate everyone's suggestion and I'd like to thank to Bilbo for his priceless help.
I got some new troubles and I'll try to post them here, short and clear:

1. Trynton Upper Branches: I get incense, use it in the sanctuary, spirits come but nothing happens. Then what's the use?
2. Arnika: Since I use X-Ray, I can notice an enemy(red point) on the map of the prison. All my researches failed. What is it about?
3. Arnika: I used Vitalia for a few turns, then I left her in Arnika. When I came back, she wasn't there. It was impossible for me to find her again. I researched all the world. Might she be on Ascension Peak, somewhere?
4. Ascension Peak: That wizard (the Wee Pee's master), said "Give me money or else..." and I got scared and i gave him 123.000 gold then I thought: "I'm the most pathetic stupido ever seen" and I wanted to kill him and Wee Pee too. Should I kill them?
4. Northern Wilderness: I entered the dungeon, killed a few but there are lots of monsters I can't get to. That labyrynt is so complicated!
5. Rapax Away Camp: I freed up Rapax Queen. She's so dum. What should I do with her?
6. Upper Rapax Castle: I found doll's gloves and some armor in Rapax Prince' Room. Are they for a Faerie? They are no use to me.
I also found an animal toy in one corner of the room. It seems like it should be used for some purpose. Which is that? Near the room, outside, there's a thing (I don't know the term) that balances to and fro. What's its use?
There's an aquarium at the Zoo. How to enter it?

Personal notice: This game is real good, but somehow it seems stupid to me. For example, I killed Rapax king but the guards around the tent didn't attack me? Where is the logic explanation? IMHO, this shouldn't happen.

That's all for now.
Post Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:03 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Now that's a list...

Obviously, this is gonna be SPOILER HEAVEN....

1) The incense is used in the pagoda in the "no magic area" of Trynton. If you fill all four torches with incense, no monsters will spawn in that area (where you find the Shaman)

2) Have you robbed the Arnika bank with Myles? He tells you of a tunnel that goes from the jail to the bank. The tunnel is not empty...

3) Make sure you are playing the patched version of the game. In the original version, Vi would "get lost" when you released her from your party. Vi's home base is He-Li's bar. If she's not there, she's either dead or lost. You do not need her to complete the game.

4) Kill Kill Kill!

4a) Maps of the NW retro dungeon are available at http://www.tk421.net/wizardry/wiz8runes.shtml

5) The "free the queen" quest is broken. She won't leave like she's supposed to.

6) The wind-up statue can be used to open up a tunnel out of the room. You should be able to figure out how to "use" it.

6a) You cannot enter the aquarium.

Hope these help. Ask again if I missed something.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:50 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Scorillo
I appreciate everyone's suggestion and I'd like to thank to Bilbo for his priceless help.
You're welcome. Any time. Dteowner's answered your questions, so I have little to add except:
1) I paid off Peewee too and wondered in retrospect why I chose to do so!
2) While I didn't lose Vi (she mostly travelled with me, and I took her all the way to AP), I did lose Myles to something like this. I suspect the patch didn't solve this bug completely, as you're the second person here to report this. Having said that, there is another possibility (I think it was Michael C who pointed this out originally months ago): if you got into a fight in Arnika with Vi nearby, it is possible she joined the combat without you realizing it and got killed; how verbose your messages are will determine if this information even showed upon on screen! And this is true for any NPC, recruitable or not.
Post Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:20 am
Scorillo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

dteowner and Bilbo, thank you very much for your time.It's good to see there are people I can rely on.

I'm quite confuse now. I followed the link dteowner gave to me and I found a list with all the weapons. I was stunned to see there lots I've never heard of. And this happens now, when I'm almost done with the game. Odd...

There are still 2 more problem I'm concerned of:
1. I wonder if I should change most of the characters' class to fighter (for allowing the berserk attack). I consider that because some of the characters have no spell left to learn.
2. Which is the maximum number of levels a character might reach at?

Thank you in advance
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:15 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
dteowner and Bilbo, thank you very much for your time.It's good to see there are people I can rely on.

I'm quite confuse now. I followed the link dteowner gave to me and I found a list with all the weapons. I was stunned to see there lots I've never heard of. And this happens now, when I'm almost done with the game. Odd...

That list includes everything possible. In any given game, not all those items will appear. Some are only available if you import an old Wiz7 party. Others are part of random drops. For instance, when you fight the ghost pirates, some of the items dropped are always the same and some of them are random. Some players (by redoing the area numerous times) have gotten the Light Sword or Light Shield. Personally, I've never gotten anything good out of that fight.

quote:
[There are still 2 more problem I'm concerned of:
1. I wonder if I should change most of the characters' class to fighter (for allowing the berserk attack). I consider that because some of the characters have no spell left to learn.
2. Which is the maximum number of levels a character might reach at?

Thank you in advance

1) Changing character class generally doesn't work well in Wiz8. Keep in mind that you will not gain skills in anything that isn't part of the new class. So, if your former wizard has a fire skill of 80, it will never improve again even if you cast 100 fireballs.

2) I've heard rumors of a cap at level 50. I've never gotten close to that myself, so I can't be sure.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:14 pm