Why call it pirating?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Why call it pirating?

I was thinking, why call it pirating? Pirates have been greatly romanticized *I think* due to their sanctioning and rewards they received from the State while breaking the State’s laws. Like knights, their accomplishments were rarely ever anything to be proud of, yet they were rewarded with titles and honors by the States they inadvertently helped, even if their own actions were born of nothing but selfish greed. Yet, helping to enslave the serfs, or raiding the Spanish merchant helped their governments so we now think of Knights as heroic and noble and Pirates as valiant outlaws, their individual governments wanted us to believe that (conspiracy alert). Come to think of it while I could spend another couple pages on this subject I’m way off the topic I meant to bring up
Since we romanticize pirates, why call is it called piracy? Why had there not been a multi-billion dollar media campaign changing the term to something less cool?

And by the way!!! Why were mp3 players available, from Sony who owns one of the largest record companies, before the advent of bittorrent if piracy is such a problem? (and that is rhetorical) No question it is wrong, but are we being conditioned to participate in this kind of activity?
Post Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:39 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Sorry that I as if passed your question but i was thinking about music-pirating in general.How come they are so worried about it? People who download music only wouldn't buy the cds anyway and are not real fans.

Also the public libaries offer chance to lend music cds and people copy them legally, so why is downloading music from the internet a crime? I don't buy any music cds untill I really know that I will like it. I only want to support artists whose music really deserves it(in other words whose music i enjoy listening to). Actually these sharing programs like win-mx, napster, bittorrent etc have opened and created a new way to get to know new bands and artists by letting people try their music for free. I don't have a desire to spend my valuable time in some record store by testing albums.I want to do it in peace at home.If i happen to fall in love some new artist or band i usually end up buying some new cds..
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:03 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

It's also an incorrectly used terms. Software Piracy would be going into a shop/warehouse and stealing copies of the software and reselling them. Downloading a copy is copyright infringment unless the plantiff can prove a direct loss (which is close to impossible).

And yes, calling it piracy is completely moronic, it makes kids think they can be the next jack sparrow just by downloading a copy of some software. Piracy does have negative conatations to adults i.e. Modern day piracy in the waters of south east asia, but most of these piracy campaigns are aimed at kids...
Post Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:26 am