Usergroups
Saddam captured?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Why are Americans so defensive? While capturing Saddam is big news, it doesn't change much. Aussies were part of the original attack, and many are still there helping out, but we don't make a big deal of it. America is our ally and we help and support our allies when they ask us. I have no beef with Bush; he seems a decent man for a politician, though I know very little about American politics. Did they do the right thing? Probably. Did they do it the right way? Not sure; only time will tell. Let's not play American politics on an international board. Most of us don't really care about it. Let's also not make any remarks that could be considered denigrating to any group of people anywhere; surely WE are above that.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:13 am
Pikkon
A Hadou Master And A Skilled Thief
A Hadou Master And A Skilled Thief

Saddam said that he will be the greatest shahid and that everyone will remember him for his patriotizem (sp?) and "bravery"...

well, he lied! he would never kill himslef! he is too afraid of death to be a so called shahid... (a shahid is someone that dies in a holy war, but most of those "shahids" these days are just suicide bombers...)

Anyway, that just shows how saddam used the iraqi people for his own couses! hye deserve to be rememberd as a cowerd!
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:39 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

Good point, Pikkon.

And maybe the US is playing too much world-police, but I think we maybe should be a bit grateful for it, since no other nations does it. But I wonder why the US haven't done anything about North Korea yet.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:24 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Why nothing is done about North Korea?
Because all you can really do is try to discuss the issue of nuclear warheads.
They can't make the same threats or charge straight in, as with Iraq. Because it would probably lead to a 3rd world war.
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:14 pm
Secret Agent Lawanda
The last thing you see...
The last thing you see...

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
Why are Americans so defensive?

I guessing it's because we're tired of the same old song and dance.
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:12 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Well, I'm just guessing it's because it's past my bed time.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:53 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@Hexy - With out judging the morality of it all I can come up two reasons:

1. There is, at this time, no case before the American public. Such a war would be political suicide ... there is no causus belli.

2. One Theater at a time! The cost of the Iraqi campaign was pretty high, and there is still a large commitment of troops to the area. The US military is being stretched pretty thin right now.

@Pikkon - Yeah, I had a good chuckle about that one too. Lots of big talk from that man, not so much action *grin*.
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:16 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
2. One Theater at a time! The cost of the Iraqi campaign was pretty high, and there is still a large commitment of troops to the area. The US military is being stretched pretty thin right now.

Well, I have to say that I've always believed that the US was capable of fighting wars on two fronts simultaneously. The UK is currently only able to fight on one front - and our forces are being reduced even further! A "smaller, more agile" force is what we need now, apparently. Funny that military restructuring never requires more resources, always fewer...

To go back to what our favourite kitchen appliance mentioned earlier, what does everyone think about North Korea? They invest so much money in the military and in military research - way over what is actually required. Naturally, it's their government's choice either way, but I can't help but think there's a better use for all that money.
Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:07 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4