Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Something Wrong With The Enchanting Economy?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Finn The Fairly Dark Mage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Something Wrong With The Enchanting Economy?

Surely this can't be right - I tried to get a ring enchanted with 100% chameleon for 10s on self. It cost me 45,000 gold for the enchanting, and used up 60,000 gold worth of grand soul gem. However, the enchanted ring is only worth 240 gold! Not a good investment...
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:55 am
BearishSun
City Guard
City Guard

yeah but again, what you spent on getting that gem worth 60k?

it is profit actualy if you are enchanter. You can find a gem anywhere for free, you kill a golden saint, fill them gem up and you got 80k worth gem for a few magica points. Then you just enchant it and you got 400gp worth enchanted item. So its 400gp profit.

You can only get more than 1k for a enchanted weapons if its enchanted with constant effect
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:48 am
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

Enchanting is difficult so you must pay for using his knowledge.
Try enchanting yourself.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:49 pm
Finn The Fairly Dark Mage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by XeroX
Enchanting is difficult so you must pay for using his knowledge.
Try enchanting yourself.

Fair enough, but it still strikes me as overly expensive. Okay, so I didn't actually *pay* for the soul gem in the first place (I "borrowed" it from Galdebir), and I may not have actually *earned* the cash, but I don't think I'm getting good value for money. What's the point of spending all my time stealing stuff, if I then have to go and pay extortionate prices for something? Seriously though, I think my money may be better spent "force training" myself in enchanting, then doing my own enchanting.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:13 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Enchanting thoughts

I just imagine a reason for enchanting that fits how it works in the game.
I imagine that high level enchanting causes the enchanter to lose a little
bit of their lifeforce. That's the reason that it costs so much. This does not
make the item any more expensive, because the lifeforce can't be replaced.
Constant effect items value would go up however, because of the rarity of
enchanters who are willing to give up that much lifeforce would cause those items to be fairly rare. As many have said though, soul trapping and enchanting is the road to financial Nirvana!
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:31 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Finn The Fairly Dark Mage
Seriously though, I think my money may be better spent "force training" myself in enchanting, then doing my own enchanting.

Well, I am up to 70+ in enchanting skill and my level 48 nord is actually becoming quite intelligent (89 int) but I have still never succeeded in enchanting a "constant effect" item. I can barely reload items using small soul gems (just to practice the skill) and just forget about doing any major enchanting. Maybe you need 100% in the skill and 200 int or something..?
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:34 pm
Gally
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Actually, to safely enchant constant effects of 150 points, you need about 2000 intelligence (not typo, its two-thousand). Dozens of intelligence boosting items or potions are required.
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:59 am
Scrivener
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

You shouldn't worry too much about enchanting, as it unbalances the game. I enchanted a Daedric Claymore that did about +50 damage in a 15 foot radius plus a suit of Ebony armor that gave me over 100% chameleon. Then I went and killed a certain high-level personage in the Vivec temple! (The one behind the 100 Lock door). Now I have to "tone down" my equipment just to get any enjoyment out of combat.
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:55 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Oh, I never even thought about making the weapons or armour any better. I've only enchanted two items so far (and I had to pay ridiculous sums of money for them too which is hard since I have no idea who the creeper is): a Diver's Amulet (constant effect water breathing) and my Pants of Golden Balls (C) (constant effect night-eye).
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:20 pm
Glorfindel
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree with the original statement but it's not the enchanting costs that are overvalued, it is the value of the final item that is ridiculously undervalued. In the real world (excluding certain currently famous US corporations), spending 100k to make something worth 240 is not the best concept to generate shareholder value. Limited ability to generate large quantities of cash quickly (aka the daily visit to Creeper) and the high cost of powerful enchantments are clearly in the game to prevent unbalancing, totally artificial but as someone else said, realy powerful stuff takes a lot of the enjoyment and edge off the game.
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:43 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

The developers forgot to scale item price with enchantment type. But it's not surprising, since they forgot to balance the game as well.
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:42 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Mattias Kreku
Oh, I never even thought about making the weapons or armour any better. I've only enchanted two items so far (and I had to pay ridiculous sums of money for them too which is hard since I have no idea who the creeper is): a Diver's Amulet (constant effect water breathing) and my Pants of Golden Balls (C) (constant effect night-eye).

Um.......Pants of Golden Balls?
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:38 pm