Elder Scrolls 4 (PC/XBox) Interview @ Boomtown
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Elder Scrolls 4 (PC/XBox) Interview @ Boomtown

Boomtown is the latest site sporting an interview with producer Gavin Carter. The questions range from the AI to comparisons between XBox 360/PC load times. <blockquote><em><b>In regards to the loading times, are you able to give us a comparison between the Xbox 360 core, the Xbox 360 with hard drive and the PC? </b></em></blockquote><blockquote><em>Load times depend on a wide variety of factors such as the area you’re loading, how much data is cached, and how many assets can be reused from the area you’re leaving. Overall they should be on par with most other 360 titles. That said, an Xbox 360 with a hard drive will in general be about 50% faster loading than the core system. The PC depends a lot on the quality of your hard drive and motherboard interface, but on average, the PC should be at least as fast as a 360 with a hard drive, and probably slightly faster in many situations.</em></blockquote> Read the rest at <a href="http://rpg.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=10641" target="_blank">Boomtown</a>.
Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:48 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"It's often been said that the predecessor, Morrowind, was the closest you could get to a MMORPG in a single-player game"

Errr, wait these guys think the apitemy of of games is MMORPG (Rolflmao).
Please tell me I am just confused or this a just a dream and I can wake up now.

"and with new features such as Radiant AI Oblivion is going to get even closer. No other game will offer the same amount of freedom and the same amount of depth"
(In fairness they do mention that is how is looks on paper )

Ok I think I better stop reading this crap, before I barf on my screen.

Gothic series has been using at least 80% of the effects of Radiant AI since 2000 and Piranha Bytes last AI update was in 2002, so I would expect they have a feww additions after 4 years.

Well the rest of the article is not so bad, I suggest just skipping the first paragraph.
Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:12 pm
Cabezone

Gothic isn't anywhere near the scale of Oblivion, and not really close to 80%.
Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:25 am

Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Well can you give me an example of this?
As I certainly can give examples of how it is.

1 NPCs have a schedule.
2 NPCs go to bed and wake up at appropriate times.
3 NPCs go to the bar, in the evenings.
4 NPCs have converstations.
5 NPCs go to work in the mornings.

There is 5 to start with lets say you offer up to 5 examples or if you like more,
come up with an average precent?

I am completly aware, as I mentioned Gothic series has not had an AI retool since 2002, at least that recall.

I have seen many post about the AI and certianly Gothic has done most of them , 80% might not be exact but with the published info about Morrowind it is sure not wrong by much.

Errr, Oblivion not Morrowind.
Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:53 am
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius
Well can you give me an example of this?
As I certainly can give examples of how it is.

1 NPCs have a schedule.
2 NPCs go to bed and wake up at appropriate times.
3 NPCs go to the bar, in the evenings.
4 NPCs have converstations.
5 NPCs go to work in the mornings.

There is 5 to start with lets say you offer up to 5 examples or if you like more,
come up with an average precent?

I am completly aware, as I mentioned Gothic series has not had an AI retool since 2002, at least that recall.

I have seen many post about the AI and certianly Gothic has done most of them , 80% might not be exact but with the published info about Morrowind it is sure not wrong by much.

Errr, Oblivion not Morrowind.

The difference is that in Gothic, these behaviors were scripted, but in Oblivion, they are calculated in real-time. That means that somebody might not be scheduled to go get food, but if you steal his dinner he'll go out and buy some. It's like The Sims. Or, at least, that's what Bethesda is boasting.
Post Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:44 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius

Quoting interview:
"and with new features such as Radiant AI Oblivion is going to get even closer. No other game will offer the same amount of freedom and the same amount of depth"

Well the rest of the article is not so bad, I suggest just skipping the first paragraph.

You have completely misunderstood this statement. They are not saying that they are the only game using the radiant AI, they are merely saying it is one of the features that contributes towqards this. How is this incorrect? Do you honestly think Gothic 2 (and possibly 3) are more non-linear than Morrowind/Oblivion?
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:28 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Gothic and Gothic 2 didn't use radiant AI at all. The NPC routines were totally scripted.
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:46 am

Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Ok, if scripting vs. scripting /w optional scripting 6 years later or 4 if you count G2, is different, then my misunderstanding.

No, I don’t think Gothic (s) or more Open ended than ES (s).
The statement to me and that I was responding too, was about comparing it to a MMORPG and also that they seem (ed) to take credit for giving life or a living world to RPGs as if it has never been done.
The most accurate example is to put Morrowind next to Gothic 2 as they are very near timelines of release.

Gothic 2 AI whether you call it scripting or not , as far as I can tell a script is a script whether it is and addition choice or an initial script with no choices needed (i.e. no one stole the NPCs dinner so he does not have to go buy another one.)

Gothic 2 was years ahead in AI, choices to give their world life beyond the Stale lifelessness of Morrowind.

I realize this seems like I dislike Morrowind, thou I am not sure that is true, it is more of the fact that when Morrowind came out here in the US it was the best we had to offer and I had a great time over all.
When it first came out we were all on the official forums calculating the best possible leveling techniques to get the most levels trained per level up, I remember it fondly.
I even remember running accross Devs, I had known of from previos games and about how great they thought Editor was and wanting to make Mods just to try learn about Betheseda's tech.

When I learned of Gothic series, I could never look at a RPG the same again, it was a major turning point, at least to me.

The idea that we were not forced to endure robotic figures standing in one spot or walking in the same circle patterns for Hours, Days, Months and Years depending on how long we had a game installed.

To me a script is a script is a script, thou I may have a skewed view of programming.

Also just look at the differnet ways AI attacks in Gothic they all have differnt styles and require different fighting techniques to counter.
It has been awhile since I played Morrowind but I do not recall such AI diversity.
Post Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:49 am