Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Please answer this question...about Gothic performance.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread

Oh and another vital thing:!!!

What drivers are you using?
Do you have the latest official direct x drivers

And do you have ASUS newest drivers?
Or Nvidia det??
Try swithcing to one of these if you have them.
Nvidia drivers dont always work smooth with asus cards, I had that with soem games, I got a geforce2 MX
and make sure you have the latest!!

Yeesh I cant believe I forgot to say this!
anyway check that out!
Post Thu Oct 04, 2001 11:11 am

bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

On 2001-10-04 05:54, Anonymous wrote:
Perhaps you should email piranha bytes about it, they might know. You are porbably forgetting something...Maybe you got an ultra slow Hard drive?
Are you sure that when u press alt ctrl del you got only systray and explorer running..?
You dont have windows recovery on?
You didnt mess with virtual mem settings in windows? Not downloading while playing?
Not sharing connection with other comp?
Tried to change settings to loose the stutterings? visual range, etc..
because if that doesnt help, there is really something wrong..

Oh and another vital thing:!!!

What drivers are you using?
Do you have the latest official direct x drivers

And do you have ASUS newest drivers?
Or Nvidia det??
Try swithcing to one of these if you have them.
Nvidia drivers dont always work smooth with asus cards, I had that with soem games, I got a geforce2 MX
and make sure you have the latest!!

Yeesh I cant believe I forgot to say this!
anyway check that out

Hi there, thanx for helping me...well to start..

I have WindowsXP , i have a Ultra DMA HD(from what i heard it is one of the better HDs)

my virtual mem is still all the same as ever
i wanted to change it because now i have more ram(512) but still haven't done that.

yes my pc is on a network with 2 other pcs
but that has not to do with the game...
I have the latest directx8A drivers

well...i'm using the Newest nvidia Dets
21.81, trying to disable some settings don't help really much..but i really won't put visual distance off..i think thats insane...i thought this pc could handle a game like this easily...i really don't know anymore...but i'll try the newest asus drivers...i can find em on asus site , right?
Post Thu Oct 04, 2001 4:23 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Allright..i just found something...

When i lower visual range nothing really changes yeah very little fps, but when turning off sky effects(the big blue barrier)
it is all the sudden very smooth...so sky effects is the big slowdowner..
Post Thu Oct 04, 2001 5:16 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Sky effect doesn't work on my computer, other than for the first minute or so. Its pretty neat looking, but I think I would prefer smooth game play. Maybe I will turn it off, not that I have choppy game play, but its not doing anything for me anyways!

Post Thu Oct 04, 2001 5:50 pm

Hm, i use the new Detonators too and have the Sky effects enabled - i have no Problems with these. But i use Windows ME and not XP.

Fog Table emulation and Set Z-Buffer to Render depth should be enabled in the Detonator Drivers.
Post Thu Oct 04, 2001 7:01 pm

bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Fog table is already enabled..i can't find render depth another weird thing is

in opengl settings

Use up to 5MB of system memory for textures in PCI mode

and in direct3D settings

use up to 63MB of system memory for textures in PCI mode....what is this???
Post Thu Oct 04, 2001 7:34 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

And all the sudden everybody was gone??
Post Sat Oct 06, 2001 1:18 pm

Hedy guys, I just installed the demo on my machine.
Specs: (Gateway 4200)
P3 450mhz
128 meg ram
16 meg ATI rage128
8.4 gig HD
Windows 2000

Let me say that runs very slow on my machine (obviously). I am guessing that I get anywhere from maybe 10 fps to 1/2 fps! This is on regular standard settings. Just for fun, I maxed everything out to see if the machine could handle the load. Lets just say that I was probably averaging 1 fps! I do think that the engine is much better over the Ultima Ascension engine. There are two games that I think you guys should look out for. Wizardry8 and Morrowind, they will be very high quality rpgs just like Gothic.

BTW, How do I set the framerate counter in the demo?

I personally think that to really enjoy the game, you should have at least a P3 800mhz with 256MB ram and either a radeon or GF2 video card.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2001 4:43 pm

Kveldulf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Type 's' to bring up the stat screen, then type 'marvin, and hit 's' again, top left hand should say marvin-mode. Push 'f2' for the console and hit 't' for toggle and 'fra' for frame and hit return.
Post Sat Oct 06, 2001 6:12 pm

bigkabuto: I have identical system to yours (also runs on WinXP, the same video drivers, 512 MB PC 133, etc.), exept my CPU is AMT T-Bird 800 MHz. And I have that chop too. Not that it really disturbing, but it is there.

I ran gothic (all details at max, color depth 32bit, 1280*1024) at ranges 100%, 200%, and 300%, plus I ran Gothic at speeds 700-900 MHz, but subjectively (at that time I didn't now how to activate the framecounter), I couldn't tell the difference in framerates, but there was the same choppiness.

P.S. Forget about the 'PCI mode' for your videocard: you have an AGP card, don't you?
Post Tue Nov 20, 2001 9:44 am

foniks munkee
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just wanted to say with respect to upgrading memory to get better performance for games, that if you are running any flavour of Windows in the 9X range, 98/ME etc, adding more ram above 256MB will probably actually impede performance (certainly not give you the boost for games that you may expect).

The windows memory manager for the 9X kernel is not particular scalable, and it begins to use more resources than are returned to help manage and allocate the extra memory. Windows 2000 and XP are much better in this respect. You will see between 15 and 20% performance increase by allocating the extra 256 MB of memory, whereas 9X/ME will see a marginal sometimes negative performance boost.

Having said that, Gothic Demo runs great on my new GeForce III card.
Post Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:01 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

Gothic Demo runs great on my new GeForce III card.

Interesting. Which OS and exact driver version are you using? Some people had problems with GeForce3 cards and Gothic.

More memory under Win9x helps for Gothic. Save/load is much faster. I tested it with 128MB, 256MB and 512MB.
But I agree that most other games donīt take advantage of more than 256MB RAM.
Post Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:14 pm
foniks munkee
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Card: Hercules Prophet III Ti200 (64MB)
Driver: 2.1.8.1 (ie. The drivers that came supplied)

I only got the card yesterday, I have yet to get the latest detonator drivers. But I have played Gothic demo in 1024 x 768 full detail with FSAA enabled and it is silky smooth. I have yet to find any incompatibilies with this card. Having said that I should go and check Diablo II, I would be heart broken if that didn't work!

Extra memory certainly can help when loading large files, and games do generaly have large files (It is quicker to load one large than many small files). The bench marking I have seen does show a performance hit though with the extra mem. and while I never noticed any real problems while running ME with 512MB ram, it certainly didn't provide the kind of performance boost I was hoping for. I also think it may be CPU based too, my flatmate had a slower CPU 550MHZ PIII with 512MB ram and he actually noticed games and apps slowing after the extra RAM was added under some conditions. I will see if I can dig up a link on the benchmarking..

[ This Message was edited by: foniks munkee on 2001-11-20 07:30 ]
Post Tue Nov 20, 2001 1:25 pm

There's one more aspect to having more then 256 MB under windows 9* (aside of the negative return in resource management): by default those OS's do not aggressively use the available memory, but still use the swap file on the hard-disk, that is unless the registry is patches. (I do admit, that I do not have/read any benchmarks to prove usefullness of this patching for games).
Post Tue Nov 20, 2001 3:06 pm

Zorak
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

you may be able to fix it by disabling the game's music, it did a lot for me.
Post Wed Nov 28, 2001 3:26 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next