Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Newbie, Looking for best Party
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread

After reading a lot of these posts, I find out my party is pretty substandard as far as getting the most out of the game(i.e. I do not have a Bard or a Gadgeteer). If you guys could give me some good ideas for a great party(proffesion and race) to run through the game for the first time, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
hoop17
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 1:30 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I do not think that party is really important for good and interesting way trought Wizardry 8.

Different between most powerful and most "interesting" party is only in details.

However if you want to have most powerful party, go with this (or something like this):
- fighter
- fighter
- samurai
- mage (mainly attacks)
- mage (mainly healing)
- ranger

With this party you should hire Myles or equip items everytime you will need to open lock or disable trap. However it is possible to open doors with strenght.

If you want to try many combinations of items, etc. go with this party:
- priest (or bishop, but bishop requires much more work)
- samurai
- alchemist
- fighter (or ninja)
- gadgeteer
- bard

Gadgeteer will be good to open locked doors etc.

Important is that play with this party will be more difficult especially in begining of game.

There are other interesting combinations, I will write about them just for matter of interest:
1) you can try party with 1 or 2 members (this will be very difficult in begining, but your hero will level up faster and will be very soon very strong)
2) you can try change chracters ocupation (but characteristics important for first and not important for second ocupation will be locked forever)
3 you can try for example 6 alchimist, mix potions in Arnika and sell them to make their skills stronger and then change their ocupations, you will get normal party with 6 strong spellcasters (someone reported here about such attempt)

Good luck
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:54 am
Mage_77
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hoop17:

Wizardry 8 can be completed with ANY combination/s of classes/races.

Here are a few examples of various combinations i have completed the game with:

Solo Fairy Ninja.
---------------------------
1x Ninja
1x Bard
1x Bishop
6x Fighters
3x Gadgeteer
3x Bard
2x Bishop
1x Ninja
1x Gadgeteer
1x Samurai
1x Bard

Ive tried several other mixes but to be simply honest about it.

No group is the ultimate group.
Dont try to play it to be the ultimate group.
Choose class/race combinations [b]YOU personally enjoy playing & not what you read that other people think are the best combinations.

Everyone has thier own unique style of playing & tactics & making a group that for example i think is the ultimate combination may totally useless to your own particular style of playing & tactics.

If your not having fun with your current group then by all means start a new group BUT half the fun of even playing the game is playing it with characters that you feel the most comfortable with & would find yourself having the most fun using while playing the game. Part of the fun is in itself trying out the various mixtures of combinations & races for yourself also.

Sorry if this post sounded like i was slamming you about asking what the ultimate group is but there really isnt an ultimate group as Wizardry 8 allows for a diverse amount of play style & tactics that no group will ever be an ultimate combination with every tactic you could think of.

Anyway thats my 2 cents. Enjoy the game how you want to enjoy & dont let others allow you to think that thier way is the best/only way.

-------------------------------------
Dont believe everything you hear - Sleep IS over-rated.

[ This Message was edited by: Mage_77 on 2002-04-03 02:37 ]
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:34 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

And one more tip. Pay attention to voices and characteristic you choose for your characters. You will play with them maybe 150+ hours and what is slightly annoying at begining can be intolerable near the end.
(it is my own expirience )
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:16 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

You can change the voice of the characters, you know...
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:43 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

On 2002-04-03 04:43, Maggot wrote:
You can change the voice of the characters, you know...

Yes, I know...
But I was not able to do it, because it will change your character to someone other and she was very annoying but still she walked with me trhought many dangerous battles .

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-04-03 04:50 ]
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:49 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

So you felt both sentimentally attached and annoyed at the voice?
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 11:38 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes exactly .
I am strange personality .
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 11:53 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:

On 2002-04-02 19:30, Anonymous wrote:
After reading a lot of these posts, I find out my party is pretty substandard as far as getting the most out of the game(i.e. I do not have a Bard or a Gadgeteer). If you guys could give me some good ideas for a great party(proffesion and race) to run through the game for the first time, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
hoop17

As has been said, there's no right answer to this one. Particularly since you can find recruitable characters for every class (I think), don't get too worked up.

For my part, I don't like RPCs, so that moves me in certain directions party-wise. Try this formula if you like.

Ranger
-for a first-timer, I'd call this almost mandatory. When you play again, this may be the first class you ditch.

select one:
Priest, Bishop
-priest is easier and focused, but bishop will be more versatile in the long run

select one:
Mage, Psionic, Alchemist, Bishop
-check out the spell books and pick which one looks most interesting, bishop can do them all but not as well without careful development

select two:
Fighter, Lord, Valkyrie, Samurai, Ninja, Monk
-fighter is easiest to grow, ninja is hardest. Beyond that, it's more personal preference than anything since each class has interesting aspects.

select one:
Rogue, Bard, Gadgeteer
-Rogue is a better fighter, bard is kinda like a spellcaster, gagdeteer might be the best but takes a LONG time to get there. All of them will serve as a lockpick.

Hope this helps. Keep in mind, I started the game over 5 times before going all the way through. Partially for fun, partially to try different combinations, and partially to do a better job of character development.
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:54 pm

Thanks folks for all the information. I just found myself restarting a lot and I thought it was just me, but you guys gave some good advice and I think I will just make up a crew that I think I will enjoy playing, damn the torpedoes!

Again, Thanks,
hoop17
Post Thu Apr 04, 2002 3:16 am

Fwang Thunk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

In case you're interested, here are some party tips that will save you annoyance.

Concern #1 Cash
Answer: get a character with Alchemy (alchemist, bishop, ranger or ninja). You'll be mixing and selling potions before you know it. It's nuts how rich you can get. Major aggravation saver!

Concern #2 Enemy magicians turncoating, causing insanity, instant death, etc.
Answer: Have the following spells available and cast at highest level: magic screen(priest spell, always on), elemental shield (mage or alch), soul shield(priest or psionic). Cast the last two on the first round of any battle as needed. For example, I think psi sharks only cast psi spells, so you only need soul shield when fighting psi sharks. Silence is also a good spell, but I think it's less effective later in the game.

Concern #3 Distance weapons hitting your wimpy mages in the back row.
Answer: Missile shield (mage spell, always on, highest level). Armorplate (priest spell, always on, highest level)

Some of these effects can be produced with the right gadget or instrument, but usually not until later in the game.

Concern #4 Speed. You don't want to be the slaughtered before you get a chance to cast your protection spells.
Answer: For your magicians, pump up speed and senses. I prefer speed first b/c it opens up snake speed when it hits 100. But with a ranger, and maybe a psionic, go for senses first and then speed.

Concern #5 Travel time.
Answer: Have at least two playes who can cast set/return portal. I like to set one at the fountain in trynton that restores magic points.

I hope this helps new players. Enjoy!
Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 5:11 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:

Concern #1 Cash
Answer: get a character with Alchemy (alchemist, bishop, ranger or ninja). You'll be mixing and selling potions before you know it. It's nuts how rich you can get. Major aggravation saver!

In notpatched version you can also go with pickpocketing character, you can just stand before merchant and steal and sell and steal and sell. It is much quicker and easier than with alchemyst, but maybe it is too easy.
However in patched version it is not really possible.

Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 5:56 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

bump
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:46 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Don't forget that the ranger with his special "scouting" ability will find so much more items to sell than other characters. So the opportunity to get money is quite many!
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 6:34 am
Elwyn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

dropped the ranger for a gadgeteer this game ... he's much more versatile and also gains a similar ability like 'searches always' ... once he gets the Searchlight (casts Detect Secrets - also a nice way to pump up Engineering) ..and the MK12 Omnigun is just awesome ...
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:11 pm