View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Videos

http://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/index.php?go=downloads&release_id=134

If you have not seen these "fastrun" videos you have missed a treat. My hat is off to the maker of them....simply incredible. The thought and planning to do what is shown is amazing.

I post this here instead of general Gothic forum because there are a TON of spoilers in the videos......most of them I knew, but some I did'nt. I know what I will be doing until G3 comes out.....trying to go even faster through the game

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:48 pm
Pladio
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I've just seen the first part and I have to say I'm impressed. I have no idea who did this, but I have to say that compared to me and a lot of others, I think, he's a a very good player and he knows every little trick in the game.

I do dissaprove of some of the methods he used, he did use the strafe-exploit not to fall to his dead, at least once. And he used Homer to commit suicide, which is kind of an exploit as well, because I do think most people won't jump of a dam when they know the next stop is more than thirty feet under them.

EDIT: I may be wrong about the strafe-exploit, but it looked to me as if he used it...
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:58 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm guessing it's made the same way as the 12-min-through-Super-Mario-3 video. With A LOT of save/reload and clip/paste work in the movie. Still, skillfully done.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:50 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

I have watched closely and have'nt seen any saving. Some of the runs are well over ten minutes and I have'nt seen any reloads or even save pauses. For the hell of it I might run the videos through some software i have to detect any funny business, but from what I have seen it looks very legit and non-stop.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:24 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Is there any way to notice whether or not they're freezing the film every 10 min and just "rolling back"(doing a rollback is a database term, not sure what to call it when it comes to movie editing) if he dies/is inefficient?

And yes, I'm always this sceptical, hehe.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:53 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Yes, there are ways to tell. i don't know how to explain it well, but i will try.

Software can look at the actual databits and easily spot starts and stops, as well as pauses. Any interuption to the video stream causes "extra" bits that are easily detected.....unless someone takes the time to remove them and reinterlace the bit stream. And even that won't totally prevent detection. I won't go into other ways simply because reinterlacing is far beyond any effort someone would go to for a game video lol.

Post Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:13 am