Usergroups
Newbie/ Which should I play? Arx or Gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
ShadowShrike
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The latest patch is right here on gothic.rpgdot.com , in the Gallery->Misc section I believe, 1.08k . It's not completely stable with the latest patch, but about five times as much as it is out of the box unless you got a patched release. If you still get random crashes after patching, try updating your video drivers.

The possibilities are indeed endless. I've just started playing again recently and it really blows me away how Gothic can totally beat every other RPG I've played in almost every aspect-- the game mechanics, dialogue, voice acting, plot line, originality, and perhaps most of all AI. I'm glad you're enjoying it!
Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:58 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Try another sound provider.
And download the "fps patch" and ask the search function about it, while youīre at it.
Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:10 am
Arc
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

As far as I know, there isn't any english version patch, so you are doomed to play the release version. If you have the expansion "The Night Of The Raven" too, then it's a different story.
What it comes for the question of Arx vs. Gothic I think it's a bit wrong to compare them. I mean, they're so different from each other. I agree with many reviewers that Arx is more like an dungeon adventure with roleplaying flavour and great puzzles while Gothic is a great huge rpg with multiple choises to make and ways to play. This said, I would personally reccomend you to play both. You like Looking Glass games, so you'll love Arx Fo sure. You like rpg games? You'll loose your heart for gothic.
Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:46 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I split the topic. This one will remain open for a discussion of "Gothic series or Arx?". The gameplay problems have been moved to G2 Spoilers and if you still have stability issues you can open a thread in G2 General. The troubleshooting forum is more or less dead, unfortunately.

G2 is usually rock stable. Itīs more than likely that thereīs a problem with your PC. G2 eats up system resources like other people donuts. Maybe thereīs a problem under heavy load which remains hidden under normal conditions.
Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:56 am
ShadowShrike
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Out of curiosity, do the RPGdot staff ever read these forums? I'm dying to ask them why they called Arx Fatalis more intelligent than Gothic, as I honestly cannot see the reasoning behind it despite liking both games

But really, they're both worth a play, for the casual and hardcore RPGer alike (though I would recommend Gothic to anyone). A merge of the elements seen in both games would be truly fantastic, I'm looking to Oblivion and other next-gen games for that .
Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:45 am
Lacni
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

About the crshes: I wish there was simple answer, but there isnt!

On my old machine it used to crash constantly, and on new one i didnt expect a single crash in 10 months. The problem is that gothic doesent actually have bugs, but it doesent swallow minor errors in wardware, os or drivers. U should post more detailed stats of your computer, but there are some tips:
- use scandisk and defrag
- increase your virtual memory
- terminate all background processes (including network support, firewall, antivirus)
- i dont suggest updating graphics drivers, as by ATI cards sometimes happens u cant even start the game after update and there is no way back
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:19 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowShrike
Out of curiosity, do the RPGdot staff ever read these forums? I'm dying to ask them why they called Arx Fatalis more intelligent than Gothic, as I honestly cannot see the reasoning behind it despite liking both games

Who called Arx more intelligent than Gothic?
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:47 pm
ShadowShrike
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

In the Arx review, it's called the most intelligent RPG to date. And Arx was released after Gothic... so...
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:38 pm
mgeorge
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for the tips. I've been playing for 3 or 4 days now without a single crash, which is great cause I'm just loving this game! Gorath suggested I start over, but I hung in there to see if I could do it and I'm glad I did. I almost quit the game (it's really difficult IMO), until I became a Paladin, (got the Orcs blade to the smith to get my fourth recomendation to become a citizen). I then went to see the head honcho guy in the upper part of the city, and started chapter 2, so I decided to cruise the city before taking off. Well once I did, I realized that there was a ton of things to do to get more XP points that I wasn't even aware of before just by exploring the city better. There is just so much to do in this game it's freakin mind bending and like nothing I've ever played before. Very cool game.

I received Arx in the mail but it was so scratched that I couldn't play it. Have to return it, but that's OK. I'll find another copy down the road, so at least that decision is made for me. I've heard this game takes 50 hrs, but at the rate I'm going, it'll take me 50 years. I love it!
Post Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:24 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowShrike
In the Arx review, it's called the most intelligent RPG to date. And Arx was released after Gothic... so...

This is only the authorīs opinion.
Post Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:02 am
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

For sure Arx Fatalis is a more intelligence and complex game than Gothic.Althoug I believe Arx is far better than Gothic , Gothic has a very special place in my gaming heart.You see in Arx you have a lot posibilities and many attributes to raise and a lot of diferent ways to raise them.
In a few words you can build up your character as you want excatly to be and has many special abilities that only a high level character (warior / mage / thief or combinations of those ) can know how to handle/use/activate.Also you can interact or literately use the enviroment to your favor.There is a lot to be explored in Arx and I dont mean places or secret locations.Gothic is a simple rpg, slash and complete I could say.But is that simplisity that makes it beautifull and the lot NPC which complete the beautifull pictures of world.
Post Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:00 pm
TheSleeper8119
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

gothic lol
Post Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:38 pm
Spike86
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

G2 is usually rock stable. Itīs more than likely that thereīs a problem with your PC. G2 eats up system resources like other people donuts. Maybe thereīs a problem under heavy load which remains hidden under normal conditions.

I don't think it's a load problem: The first time I've finished G2 was on a 566mhz with 256 mb ram.
I think it's something else...

And for arx vs gothic:
Gothic is a HUGE game with lots of choice to make.
You can play it a lot of time and , apart for the main plot, the game is always different.
For me Gothic is on the same level of Final Fantasy series(and that says a lot, to me FF saga are the best games ever.)

Bye
Post Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:49 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
For sure Arx Fatalis is a more intelligence and complex game than Gothic.Althoug I believe Arx is far better than Gothic , Gothic has a very special place in my gaming heart.You see in Arx you have a lot posibilities and many attributes to raise and a lot of diferent ways to raise them.
In a few words you can build up your character as you want excatly to be and has many special abilities that only a high level character (warior / mage / thief or combinations of those ) can know how to handle/use/activate.Also you can interact or literately use the enviroment to your favor.There is a lot to be explored in Arx and I dont mean places or secret locations.Gothic is a simple rpg, slash and complete I could say.But is that simplisity that makes it beautifull and the lot NPC which complete the beautifull pictures of world.

Are you playing the same Gothic series I'm playing lol. Arx is friggin SIMPLE compared to Gothic. I have to assume that you missed a TON of the game. It is possible to "slash" thru the game and complete it, but there is SOOO much more to the Gothic experience than completion.

I played Arx, and was mildly amused, but nothing compares to the engrossing experience of Gothic. Too answer the orignal question: Play Arx first, then play the REAL game.........GOTHIC !

BTW, I know you are playing G2, but you seriously should find the original and play it.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:50 am
mgeorge
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for all the replys. I've been to busy playing Gothic 2 to come here in a while. This is the most immersive game I've played since Deus Ex 1 with just so much stuff to do it amazes me! Did have a crash to desktop today with no error message and had to do a hard reboot, but other than that it's been great. My only real problem is with severe slowdowns in the city areas. No fix for these huh? Although my comps mid range it should be able to handle the game as it's quite a bit above the recommended specs.

BTW; Have HL 2 on my hard drive and still putting a lot more time into Gothic than that, even though HL 2 is a great game. Thanks again all.
Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:06 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next