bow vs. crossbow
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
tito
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

bow vs. crossbow

I've been trying to develop a badass range dude, but i'm a little confused about the difference between the bows and the crossbows

I noticed that the bows seem to fire faster and that the crossbows seem to do more damage per hit. Other than that, though, do they differ?
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:17 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Nope, they don't. Here's what I did when I had a badass ranged dude(mercenary).

First, I trained 30% in bow(becoming an expert), using only bows. After that, I trained to be a master in crossbow(60%), and used crossbow for the rest of the game.

Reason: In the beginning of the game, it is easier to find/buy good bows, than crossbows, but later in the game crossbows are clearly the best choice.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:12 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

plus until the third chapter all the bows do more damage than that of the avaible crossbows
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:30 pm
tito
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thanks dudes

thanks, i was kinda hoping that there was a more substantial difference, but oh well.

i think i'll just concentrate on my bow, since it's as tall as I am and is therefore way more badass. (plus it helps to hit more frequently, some baddies cant seem to get a hit in between my shots).
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:01 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Also, you might have noticed, most bows require more dexterity than they do damage, while it's opposite with crossbows...
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:25 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

It could just be me but I seem to get a higher hit ratio with a bow than a crossbow on ranged objects. Up close I just pound ‘em with the crossbow.

Sylvio
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:30 pm
SwitchBlade
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

There's alot more bow trainers than crossbow trainers. AFAIK there are 3 crossbow trainers, one of whom only train you if you are militia.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:28 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

afaik? whats that and btw the extra damage of the dragon hunter crossbow is worth the difference of amout of hits
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:59 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

As Far As I Know...Man, I found a beautiful crossbow in the high country last night. The markings on the bow were very nice, too bad my Dex rating is too low to wield it...time to kill some critters.

Sylvio
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:02 pm
tito
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

man, i just can't get over how badass the ash bow looks, but i'm in chapter four and it's still my best bow. I mean, my dex is 85 and i'm using a bow based on 50. does it pay to keep training my dexterity, or have i gone overboard already?
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:25 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

The amount of dexterity determines the damage.

Bow damage + dexterity = damage done to creature.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:53 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

its bowdamage+dexterity=damage only if you get a critical strike
otherwise its just the bowdamage
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:22 pm
olaf73
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think Crossbows are the best choice by far. They have lower dex requirements and they do more damage, and they dont fire that much slower. Certainly fast enough to kill a single target before it can close on you if you are a decent shot.

And, there are a number of nice Crossbow's just lying around in Chapter 1. Dragomir's Crossbow, Crossbow and even a Light Crossbow are better than anything I found in Chapter 1-2.

olaf
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:14 am
tito
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm going to have to disagree with you, olaf73.

I've been tooling around with both bows and crossbows. Now, i have both skills trained to 60% and my dex is 110. I find that while i'm using a bow, it usually takes me about one extra hit to kill an ordinary creature. However a HUGE advantage is that they often cannot manage to strike me inbetween my shots. Only very fast creatures or creatures that are tought enough to take the shot and keep moving hit me regularly while i shoot at them. Because of this, i believe that both the bow and crossbow have thier merits and are pretty much equal. I do prefer my elm bow due to its general badassedness, though
Post Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:55 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

if there was a bow that did damage anywherenear that of the dragon hunter's crossbow then i would use it... but ther isnt so oh well
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:30 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next