Help any games similar to might and magic/wizardry, wizards
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Help any games similar to might and magic/wizardry, wizards

Can anyone tell me of any games that involve creating a party (e.g 4 charicters) each with there own skills, and the control of these charicters is done by the arrow keys on the computer. (party based games)

This system is used in might and magic, wizardry, and wizards and warriors, but is it used in any other games.

Games such as baldurs gate require individual instructins for each charicter, but are there other games like in might and magic where you attack as a unit etc.

I'm looking for a game where you have these 4 charicters, earn experience, collect quest items solve puzzles and develop your charicter through skills and statistics.

Can anyone help me?
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:24 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Devil Whiskey is just like that.

No other recent games I can think of.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:35 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks,

is devil whiskey a strategy game though (like heroes of might and magic)

or a genuine rpg like the mighat and magic 6-9 series.

I am the biggest might and magic fan in the world, yet can't stand the "heroes of might and magic" series, as I enjoy role playing games, and hate strategy games
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:51 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

It is like wizardry and m&m. It is modelled after an old game called Bard's Tale. It has good graphics and good gameplay, but has no mouse support. I would give it a try though. It has a good sized demo available.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:06 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

The upcoming patch, with new content, will have mouse support.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:30 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@sammy - The best I can come up with are some oldies:

Ultima 6 and 7. - Old but fun. I was going to inlcude 5 in here, but the 'feel' is different. Both are 3rd person view, and you do not really create the characters.

Dragon Wars - Available as abandon ware (try Home of the Underdogs) for a copy. First person view, party of 4, neat world, good system. I think this is exactly what you are looking for.

I will continue to search my brain for possible ideas, but those are the best I can come up with right now ... oops,

Temple of Elemental Evil - A really good port of the D&D 3.5 rules. I really liked it - but is 3rd person view.

The old Gold Box D&D games. I have NO idea where you'd find these now.

Okay, NOW I will put the back burner on and see if anything percolates up ... I am sure I am missing something, but games like Darklands are 3rd person views.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:42 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks Lintra, I am glad you have recomended the ultima games, as I have recently purchased "the ultima collection".

Having loved the ultima underworld games I should really have tried these before, but was told that the 2 series are completely different, and that neither of the ultima underworld games are anything like the ultima series, is this true?

Indeed dragon wars sounds just like the sort of game i'm after, particualrtly controlling a party ala might and magic.

I did give devil whiskey a try, and downloaded the demo, but didn't like the "myst" kind of feel to the game, where movement via the keyboard was staged, and was very slow and jittery. Also pictures rather than just names would have helped the game, as well as a less rigid combat system.

Not sure about TOEE. I actually downloaded a demo, but was limited to playing it to 3 hours before I had to buy or the game was cut off. I really enjoyed the charicter creation at the start, but found the game looked quite complex to control e.g or the interfaces etc. However this was probably because it was a new kind of game and I didn't have time go get used to it.

Any more games in the might and magic perspective will be appreciated, if you can think of any

Thanks
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:46 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Ultima games are birds eye view, not first person, and your character creation is limited to a few questions at the start of the game. But the strength of the ultima games is the story and the world.

I forgot to mention, if you get Dragon Wars of any of the other old games, also get a copy of something like DosBox ... a program that will allow you to run old games on more modern systems. Things like this are available at Home of the Underdogs as well.

Oh yeah, an other oldie, but goodie is Anvil of Dawn. First person perspective, complete freedom as to character type, but only one party member. I REALLY enjoyed this game. Alot. Also available (or was) as abandonware.

I know I answered your PM with this info, but I thought others might enjoy it as well.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:02 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

If you didn't like the paced movement in Devil Whiskey, there really is no other 1st person party games you would like. Dragon Wars, Eye of the Beholder series, Ravenloft, all have paced movement. But if you are getting old games get Realms of Arkania Trilogy. If you like party creation and character development this is your game. Ist person perspective for movement but combat is isometric. Realms of Arkania 3 has 3-d non-paced moveement like WIz 8.
Post Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:38 pm
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Bard's Tale comes to mind, as does Whale's Voyage. Then there's Amberstar, the Buck Rogers series, the Krynn series, hell all of the gold box games fit into what you're looking for. I know all these games are old, but I really can't think of anything that fits what your looking for that's been released in the last few years.

If you need anymore let me know and I'll post more games.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:24 am