Usergroups
FRAMERATE BOOST - "unofficial patch"
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Catalysm
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Not sure whether it was supposed to use the Morrowind Launcher to the desktop..but decided to use that and now my desktop shortcut works..
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:11 am

Please help...

I had to d/l this at work and burn it since I temp. don't have internet at home, but I got home, got it loaded replaced the old and fired it up...alas, absolutely no change. The file itself is obviously sound, or the game would not have launched, yet I hear all of you saying these great increases, and I'm not seeing it. My system specs are:

1.2 Gig Athlon
640 MB RAM
G4Ti4600
Windows 98

A couple questions...should I be seeing a signifigant increase in FPS? As I am getting between 25 and 60 indoors (which is ok) but around 10 to 15 outdoors (which sucks) sometimes spiking as low as 5 (Pretty sad with the best G4 out there and getting 5 FPS! )

Could this possibly be related to me still using windows 98? Should I try a reinstall of the game and repeat process of exchanging .exe files?Any help would be very, very appreciated, as we are all here to play this great game, and I'd really like to enjoy it as all of you are. A heartfelt thanks in advance to any replies.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:56 pm

MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Tried the hax0red exe. All it did for me is crash me to the desktop several times.

Anybody notice that the haxed exe is almost a full meg smaller than the orginal exe???
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:57 pm

I used the new file and noticed no FPS increase whatsoever.

I am using a PIII 800 + GF3. Switching to gf4 4400 soon, so hopefully that will help.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:09 pm

HydroSqueegee
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I cant remember if i replyed to the thread at all, but here I go again.

I used the specific crack above and it did help my performance a bit. [few FPS, nothing huge]. However, I snaged the No-CD crack from Gamecopyworld 2 nights ago and the game became incredibly smooth... even more so than the first crack. Dunno why. But im happy with it. Ive had ver little problems. Crashed to the desktop a few times, nothing huge.

Current specks.
AthlonXP 1400+
Radeon 8500 w/ 6071 drivers official
768 Megs of RAM
Win2k, all service packs and updates

I noticed 768MB of RAM makes the game run much better than 512.

quote:
1.2 Gig Athlon
640 MB RAM
G4Ti4600
Windows 98

If i remember correctly, WIn98 dosnt use anything above 256megs of ram effectivly enough to have much impact.

The extra $ for quality parts does make a difference in my experiences.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:46 pm
HydroSqueegee
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Please help...

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

Could this possibly be related to me still using windows 98? Should I try a reinstall of the game and repeat process of exchanging .exe files?Any help would be very, very appreciated, as we are all here to play this great game, and I'd really like to enjoy it as all of you are. A heartfelt thanks in advance to any replies.

Uninstall the game, defrag the drive at least 2 times since its win98, then reinstall. It may help a little bit. If not, go out and get a real OS.

I reformat quite often, and i noticed it played MUCH better after a fresh install.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:52 pm

"If i remember correctly, WIn98 dosnt use anything above 256megs of ram effectivly enough to have much impact."

Ughhh...If this is true, then I fear I've found my problem. Can this be confirmed?
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:53 pm

HydroSqueegee
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
"If i remember correctly, WIn98 dosnt use anything above 256megs of ram effectivly enough to have much impact."

Ughhh...If this is true, then I fear I've found my problem. Can this be confirmed?

hittin the hardware forums now to double check...
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:00 pm
Zontlu

the substitute .exe for Morrowind

quote:
Originally posted by iplaygames2
I'm curious to see if others have good luck with this application...Please, if you install this, post here on the effectiveness...

I was having CTDs every time I tried to get from the galley of the ship to the deck to start the game.... no matter what I did to make it work like, play at 640 x 480 or without any fancy graphics etc... and then I saw this post and decided to try it.

Well, I have not had any more crashes and have been playing the game for over two weeks now.... it has worked perfectly for me. I have an nVidia Gforce2 MX card and I did download the latest Detonator drivers for it which for those interested are version 28.32.

Thank you Jamison for your post it worked perfect for me!!!
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:37 am

sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I like the patch... it works for me... I'm getting about another 10-25% out of my GF2 Ultra, and I'm happy.
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 2:37 am
HydroSqueegee
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by HydroSqueegee
quote:

hittin the hardware forums now to double check...

Sorry for the delay...
98 sucks over 512MB...

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/other/ram_performance/1.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q253912

hope this helps
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:22 pm

I have not downloaded the patch yet, should I wait until the offical patch comes out (hopefully next week) to see if they remove the safe disk?
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:10 pm

Slippast

Well, not a big improvement...a HUGE improvement. Many thanks to those who brought this wonder to me.

I'm going to increase my resolution now. [/b]
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:48 pm

TheNordman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Great Patch

Bless you Jamison -This patch is such a performance Boost to my P4 1.7G.
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:11 pm

Anyone know of the developers were using there own form of a no-cd crack to "alpha" test the game? Thanx for the no-cd crack! Works great!
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:31 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next