This is getting uncanny
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Lorgosin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

This is getting uncanny

Every time the prophets of doom proclaim the death of PC RPGs a PC RPG comes out and goes to the top of the charts. It's becoming a familiar pattern by now. It happened before BG, Morrowind and KOTOR, and now it seems like we have 6(!) major PC RPGs in development (Dragon Age, KOTOR 2, Fallout 3, TES4, BG3 and NW2). I don't really care what people think about their chances of being great, but I think all of us would be surprised if none of them sold well. I'm not superstitious, but it is a funny coincident (or just the rythm of development cycles) that it always happens as soon as people are talking about the death of PC RPGs.
Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:01 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I was thinking something along these lines just the other day. It's a pity most of them are sequels and most won't be done by the franchise founder -- although that can be a good thing. If the quality of localisation of Euro and Russian games were to improve, we'd have a nice mix of old and new. Fingers crossed.
Post Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:57 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Um....in the list you made, only kotor is coming out in 2005 even.

The others are so far off in the future as to be hard to consider.

Do you think fallout 3 might be cancelled? I sure do... I mean it wouldnt suprise me. THe other ones would come out in 2006 or later. Thats too far in the future for me... I might not even have a computer then....
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:35 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by the mighty stamar
I might not even have a computer then....

:] You will have supercomputer then...
However to the topic.
I tend to not see things so pesimisticaly and I try to express this opinions during usual discussion about future of CRPGs. However I see many problems and have myself many doubts about future. As Stamar said, nearly all titles you mentioned are hidden in very far future. All bigest titles you mentioned are not under development. I believe that owners are currently considering if they will try to develop something like BG3, F3...
We will see. However only thing is really important: what people want, what they will buy. If enough people will look for good, hard, classical RPG, market itself will take care of it.
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:12 am
Dhruin

I'm not sure I agree, Danicek. FO3 is in pre-production but I have no doubt it will be made -- they paid too much for the license to leave it unused. I also doubt PC Gamer would be granted a D&D exclusive covering BG3 and NWN2 if there wasn't at least some concept art to show.

Granted these are all a long way off but it's still quite a turnaround for North American CRPG development from a few months ago.
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:26 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

People I dont think consider the fact that there are prolly several games being worked on that we dont even know about.

Recent PCGamer I saw an action rpg called Dungeon Lords that caught my eye. Desslock reported on a game called The Witcher thats coming out too. While both of these are action type rpgs, still anxious to see them. City of Heroes is getting alot of good reviews, and it seems a novel concept. I think the concept of wizards and warriors style RPG is what is waning. ='.'=

Ive been considering COH lately, Might have to pick it up and give it a run thru and see what all the fuss is about.[/i]
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:41 pm
Dhruin

Where have you been Sammy? We've been tracking Dungeon Lords and The Witcher since there respective announcements...no need for Desslock! We should have an article on Dungeon Lords soon-ish, I think.
Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:42 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Dhruin, don't diss Desslock. I remember when he was the only good thing on Gamespot years ago.
Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:46 am
Dhruin

He's still the only good thing there... I like Desslock and it's a pity his updates on Gamespot became infequent and stopped ages ago.
Post Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:42 am