25%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 20

Author Thread
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

So..uh...does anyone still...

Play Daggerfall on a regular basis?

(don't know if this is an off-topic thread or not)

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:46 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

IdoIdoIdo! And I still haven't managed to solve that damn game properly.. Stupid bugs!

One of these days I'm gonna have a full set of daedric armour! Getting daedric equipment was sooo much fun in Daggerfall. Actually getting ANY kind of equipment was more fun in Daggerfall. I remember Orcish armour actually being useful.. and hard to find. When I found orcish in Morrowind I already had a full set of daedric/ebony.. That sucked. Besides, Orcish is supposed to be GREEN! Oh and my hero in Daggerfall looked cool! I really should post a picture of my Morrowind hero here.. He is wearing a mask with no eyes (and horns), invisible shoes (Not sure if this is a bug or not, but his feet just disappear whenever he wear his Ten Paces Boots), really ugly daedric greaves that give him hips broader than Oprah, ebony shoulder pads that stick out on the sides and on top of all that.. wait for it.. A BLUE DRESS! It's almost so bad that I don't even want to look in my inventory because I know HE will be there. At least I'd win the Ugly Olympics.. If someone ever started a thread like that
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:16 am
Fritobandito
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

how old is daggerfall?
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:00 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

quote:
Originally posted by Mattias Kreku
invisible shoes (Not sure if this is a bug or not, but his feet just disappear whenever he wear his Ten Paces Boots
There´s a fix for this somewhere. Most likely at morrowind-mods or Summit. Not sure what textures are used for the boots though, but atleast there are apparently visible.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:19 am
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

never played daggerfall.
Before my own pc

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 11:37 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

Daggerfall is very old for some reason I'm thinking 1996 but I may be wrong.

However has anyone here played Arena - the first in the Elder Scrolls series now that is an old game but even back then there was hints that this series was going to different from anything else out there.
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:15 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik
Daggerfall is very old for some reason I'm thinking 1996 but I may be wrong.

However has anyone here played Arena - the first in the Elder Scrolls series now that is an old game but even back then there was hints that this series was going to different from anything else out there.

Yeah, I played Elder Scrolls: Arena too. I've been following this damn series for 10 years now! Arena was one of those games that started out real slow (in a dull dungeon), ran really bad if you didn't have a top-end computer, had great graphics (for its time) and had so many horrible bugs it was almost unplayable. But if you gave it a chance and got out into the land, it really grew on you. But you're right. You could see they had something going for them. They did a great job with Daggerfall too, but I guess that was their limit. Morrowind, IMO, is a step back.

Ps. Daggerfall is indeed from 1996.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:58 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:

They did a great job with Daggerfall too, but I guess that was their limit. Morrowind, IMO, is a step back.

I'm kinda inclined to agree - for those that didn't play daggerfall you have missed out on a great game. Sure there was problems - a vast array of bugs and glitches really annoyed many when the game was realeased but all in all it was a lot more flexable. For example there was many more skills than the 21 presented in Morrowind, there was great secrets (such as the witches covens) and not only could you be a vampire but you could also be infected with lycanthropy (Werewolf or Wereboar). The only problems were (apart from bugs) the graphics are very dated now and the whole random nature of the geography. That main towns such as Daggerfall were well done but all the little town/dungeons out in the wilderness all looked the same and thus it became very boring very quickly.

So I think Morrowind does the wilderness much better, the graphics are much better (only to be expected) but the main towns seem to lack somthing. More skills would have been good and in Daggerfall the streets of a town became deserted at night (I still remember the first time I was mugged in town at night by a Thief - v.scary). So in someways Morrowind was a let down but in others I think it improves things. Heres hoping that the 4th in the Elder Scrolls series can combine Daggerfall and Morrowind to completelt rob me of any spare time I may have
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:32 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Does anyone know where I could purchase Daggerfall online? Would it be worth getting at this point? I'm a new fan to TES series and I've enjoyed Morrowind a lot. In fact, I haven't been able to put it down since I bought it a month ago. Despite the bugs, I really enjoy the freedom and atmosphere of the game. I would like to try more of TES games, but are they worth the purchase after playing Morrowind? I actually saw Arena in mint conditon at Software etc. but I didn't pick it up. Was this a mistake? I've heard that Daggerfall is really good. (and buggy) BTW, is Battlespire a good game? I saw it at Amazon for $10.00

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:12 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

The graphics in Daggerfall is kind of crappy by todays standards.. But on the other hand, you'll be getting 200+ fps! If you find it, make sure it has the latest patches applied, because without them the game is near unplayable due to the bugs. Erm.. the point of this post is to say: If you rely heavily on graphics then don't buy this game. If graphics aren't THAT important then BUY IT! It's one of the best games I've played and it beats Morrowind in many areas. (Especially the main plot is better)
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:15 am
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
The graphics in Daggerfall is kind of crappy by todays standards.. But on the other hand, you'll be getting 200+ fps! If you find it, make sure it has the latest patches applied, because without them the game is near unplayable due to the bugs. Erm.. the point of this post is to say: If you rely heavily on graphics then don't buy this game. If graphics aren't THAT important then BUY IT! It's one of the best games I've played and it beats Morrowind in many areas. (Especially the main plot is better)

I enjoy games that have great graphics like Morrowind, but I still enjoy games that have good quality gameplay and "not so great" graphics. Only problem is...I doubt I'll find a copy of Daggerfall floating out there.

Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:00 am
Scrivener
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I had the original demo for Daggerfall that gave you the whole first island to play on. But I had some really urgent stuff IRL that I totally ignored while playing it, so I had to destroy it.

It had some of the same balance issues as MW: if you slept in a house without permission, the guards would come running to get you, but get stuck in the corridor, whereupon you could kill them through the wall of the corridor and steal all their stuff. The towns felt more hostile to me than in MW, which was good.

It is very easy to get a demo of Daggerfall online. It's called Daglite.exe. But unlike the original demo, it just sticks you in a dungeon. But you could try it to see if the graphics were bearable, then try to find the original.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:13 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:

Main plot was better but v.scary too at first. Who remembers there first trip to Daggerfall at night?

"Vengence" ahhhhh - Scary stuff
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:58 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I tried to install the game (again!) on my Windows XP Pro machine, but I just can't get it to work. I'm actually thinking about upgrading my system to Windows 95. At least that OS could run a few programs.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:25 pm
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

I couldn't get it to work with XP either, so an "upgrade" to WIN95 could be something to do in near future It's a shame there isn't any official/unofficial support for it anymore, as the patched version is far from bug-free.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:28 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next