Salem's Lot
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Vampire

Author Thread
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Salem's Lot

I hope I can put this here but it involves vampires. Did anyone see the premire of Salem's Lot an TNT(I think) recently. It was really good. Stephen King included almost every single restriction that vampires have in it, including having to be invited into a house, which surprised me. Anyone who has seen it, this is the place to talk about it. What did you like, not like, scratch your head at?
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:06 am
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

I thought it was better than the old 8 hour mini-series in most ways. I liked all the vampires crawling around on the ceilings & walls when they came after people.

The main thing I didn't like in this new version was Barlow. Rutger Hauer is a cool actor...but he's not Barlow. The original had Barlow as a nosferatu type vampie. Bald, pasty pale skin, ice-blue eyes, long thin fingers with claws, & nasty fanged middle upper teeth (I'm not a dentist and don't know the real word for them). He looked like an extremely ancient vampire should look (IMO). The fact that Rutger Hauer looked just like any normal man kind of sucked to me. I know they were making a statement there about evil...how real monsters look just like you and me. But I liked the original Barlow a lot better...HE was scary. Rutger Hauer is about as scary as my next door neighbor.

There's one other character that got turned into a vampire that I liked better in the original also. I can't remember his name though. In the original there's a scene where he's sitting in a rocking chair (he's already a vampire at this point) waiting for someone. I liked that scene and the original actor made a great vampire.

At first I didn't like the old couple that were getting married. He gets turned and then goes back for her. She knows he's a vampire but lets him bite her so they can be together. I thought that was kinda silly at first, but after seeing it a 2nd time I kinda liked it.

Overall it was a good show, but Rutger Hauer as Barlow kind of ruins all the parts with him in it (compared to the original).
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:48 am
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Thanks for posting. I thought that Barlow was alright, I mean he didn't look scary but not all vampires do. I guess it would be easier to get victims if you look like everybody else however. The boy, I forgot his name, said the same thing you did when he saw Barlow. "My God, he looks like he could be my grandpa," or something to that effect. The marrige scene was lame, but I think the real estate guy (I am really bad with names) got what he deserved at the end.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:12 am