Stories about tough battles
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Stories about tough battles

As most of us have great war stories to tell, and there really was no other thread covering it, I figured let's start a new thread to swap some tales. I'll be at the bar drinking a pint of stout if you've got a story to tell.

"It was some years ago, in this very tavern that we first met. I see you have some new notches in your armor...." (From an introduction to The Knight of Diamonds [Wizardry 2, if you can't remember that far back].)
Post Sat May 25, 2002 3:45 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

That other thread we had going turned into a list of my collosal screwups, didn't it? Since this is about tough battles rather than strategic incompetence...

Nessie. 'Nuff sed.

Humorous sidebar- I thought I'd be real smart with Nessie this time thru the game. I armed all 6 characters with canned elementals and tossed them from behind a rock in round 1. 3 cans failed. In round 2, my major earth elemental died. (maybe he got swallowed, cuz the hit only did 20HP damage) I started running around, hoping to put Nessie between me and my elemental army. Round 3, I got half way around, but decided that I needed to start hacking. Major Air elemental missed both times. Round 4, I start swinging. The air elemental dies similar to the earth one. Start wondering where my last hope for distraction, a major water elemental, is. I discover that the last elemental is still hiding behind the rock I started behind. He continues to defend for the rest of the lengthly (and rather bloody) battle. Gee, thanks...

Edit- oh, by the way, the water elemental belonged to my mage, the one character I had at the time that could summon an elemental via spell. Not only was that elemental worthless, but he kept me from bringing another one into the fight.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat May 25, 2002 5:25 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Nessie was a real pain for me too. She slaughtered my party the first 3 times I met her. Finally, I left her alone and came back much later. Summon elemental didn't work well for me either. In fact that third time, I reported a "bug" to Sir-Tech. I thought I would be oh so smart and cast summon elemental, and then retreat up the bubbles to the shelf for a long distance combat where I couldn't be swallowed. Nessie kept attacking the party with spells, while the elemental just sat there doing nothing! No combat messages or anything... just standing around! I even tried to have my mage re-cast summon elemental, thinking he had lost that one - it of course failed.

Here's one from upper Mt. Gigas:

There's one kind of especially tough bat up there. I forget its name, but they drain HPs easily and are tough to hit. Not realizing that 4 of the bats were nearby, I did a save, so every time I restarted they were always there waiting for me. My party is my basic 6 + Vi + Sax. So I decide to retreat and hang around with about twenty Umpani, figuring that they may be able to help. Sure enough, right after I hook up with the Umpani, the bats come after me again. These bats managed to do serious damage to my party and kill about a third of the Umpani that I had helping. That encounter was worth over 200,000 XP/character. Glad that I finally lived to tell that tale.
Post Sat May 25, 2002 6:31 pm

My first time through, i went with no info other than the game and its manual. I killed slimes in the Monastery until everyone was L10 or so. I turned North on Arnika Road, into the N Wild, and kept going North, made it all the way to Bela; EVERY fight along the way was a disaster, i had to reload all the time. The worst, though, was the Sprites that came to interrupt my chat with Bela--He Didn't Help!
Post Sat May 25, 2002 9:34 pm

dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I forgot about the sprites. Way back in Trynton, I had a very bad experience with sprites. Rather than repeat it, I'll point out the old thread:

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4903

Once again, though, it really came down to bad strategy. Seems like most of my really bad battles come out of a really bad tactical error...
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat May 25, 2002 9:46 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

i came to Nessie when i was around level 14 - i had no chance in direct combat. so i worked out this strategy:

1) cast all protection spells

2) let Nessie cast her cloud spells on you - she looses a lot of stamina

3) cast purify air

4) if your are wounded get out of the combat by hiding behind a stone - heal your party without sleeping (if you are going to sleep nessie gets her stamina back)

goto 1) until Nessie has a stamina of 30-100

5) go into hand to hand combat - knock nessie unconscious - and then in a few rounds dead.

with this strategy i was able to beat Nessie witout loosing a character.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 12:56 am
Josh

Hard battle

My hardest battle was the rapax army. i retreaeted for about 15 round. i ran into about 7 bitter wings. by then most rapax had retreated. but they were archers i had a huge battle and lost my ranger. WITH no rez powder
Post Sun May 26, 2002 3:02 pm

HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

the only battles one or two of my party members died were

a) battle in the crypt (-> heart of a sorceress)

b) the final demon battle (before cosmic circle)

in both battles a death cloud spell killed the party members.
Post Sun May 26, 2002 9:02 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

HiddenX - You must have one tough party then. Even at the beginning, you didn't lose anybody on the Arnika Road mismatches? Wow!
Post Mon May 27, 2002 1:25 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

I have used my old Wizardry 6 / Wizardry 7 party - so i had some cool goodies to start with and really good stats.

Arnika Road was no problem - my Alchemist and my Bishop casted Blinding Flash, Paralyze and Itching Skin, my Samurai, Valkyrie, Ninja did the rest. My Bard had a lot of instruments out of Wizardry 7 and was a great help, too.

i have played on the normal difficulty setting.

I am now starting a new game in expert mode with a new party - this time the battles are a bit harder - but i am in Arnika again without losses. This time i am playing with:

Lizardman Fighter (fighting)
Rawulf Lord (figthing and healing)
Felpurr Bard (for hard rock music and thief's work)
Faerie Monk (for criticals)
Mook Ranger (for searching)
Hobbit Bishop (for casting)
Post Mon May 27, 2002 8:19 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

My first party was also a Wiz6/7 import - and my bard imported with 8 instruments. They still got slaughtered on Arnika Road. I have my 2nd party on the road now:
Samurai, Ninja, Monk, Valkyrie, Gadgeteer, Bishop
and they're have a much easier time of it. Because of the autoleveler, the combat on AR is actually easier with a lower level party, IMHO.

They haven't had any great battle stories to write about yet, though.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 11:32 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

The enemies are weaker in the beginning with a fresh party, but in expert mode it is much harder to hit someone and i have noone who can cast Blinding Flash yet. So i have to rely on the Poets Lute and Itching Skin and Paralyze. For me it is a bit harder this time.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 8:18 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

HiddenX - I forgot to comment on an earlier post of yours. You're right, of course, about those death spells on Ascension Peak being nasty on your party. I found that those 3 headed serpent thingies seemed to get tougher the more I explored. Magic screen & soul shield on power 7 didn't seem to be as effective after a while. In back to back combats I had losses. First one took out my bard & mage in one spell (who my priest promptly ressurected before combat ended). Second one killed my priest (fortunately, ah keep my lord around for just such an emergency [think of this being said by Foghorn Leghorn ]).
Post Thu May 30, 2002 12:48 am
Infinity
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Turncoat - OUCH!!

I remember my most humiliating defeat was the first time I encountered the Soul Drinkers on Ascension Peak. They Turncoated my Ninja (Who was carrying the CoC). He criticaled my Bishop who was the only person that could cast Sane Mind and then went on a killing spree. HE KILLED THE WHOLE TEAM !!!

Wow, that team is really CHEAP!
Post Thu May 30, 2002 10:14 pm
Infinity
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Stellar Performances

Here's some of my most memorable victories.

Al Sedexus: My Rawulf Ninja KO'd her in the first round.

Rapax Army: Took them out in under 10 rounds with Death Wish (7), Asphyxiation (7) and "Mop-Up" Melee.

Nessie: My Faerie Ninja Paralyzed her with CoC in 2nd round. I always walk up to Nessie and pummell her. Of course I always kill her (except the 1st time) on the back end of the Bayjin quest so she's really no match by then.

Demon Sorceress: My solo Faerie Ninja destroyed the lot of them like this:

Rd1: Drink eye4eye potion.
Rd2: Cast Quicksand (7)
Rd3: Cast Quicksand (7)
... By now everything is dead except the two Death Lords and the Bitch.
Rd4: Walk
Rd5: Melee
Rd6: Melee
Rd7: Walk
Rd8: Melee

It's actually easier when you're by yourself

Wow, that team is really CHEAP!
Post Thu May 30, 2002 10:30 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next