View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Nook1e
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Mage

Im thinking of joining the mages.

I was wondering if the paladin swords are enough or should i train my str to 80 so i can get the dragonslicer?

And what weapon should i spec in?
Post Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:43 pm
Punter X
Village Leader
Village Leader

well the first thing that i would say on the matter is that if you're thinking of becoming a mage, i would suggest that you increase your combat abilities as far as possible beforehand as after becoming a full fledged mage (as opposed to just a novice) these skills will cost double (although mana will have a reduction in lp cost)

as to the debate about whether to concentrate on 1h or 2h it all does down to a matter of personal preference (in a recent poll most who voted seemed to go for 1h although i personally prefer 2h). if you choose 1h i would train str to 65 as this will enable you to use orc slayer (you can find it in ch1 in the pyramid thingie with a minimum of combat)
Post Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:08 pm
Jabberwhacky
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

When I became a novice my training costs doubled. Nothing changed from that when becoming a full blown fire mage.

I decided to go with bow since I had only done a paladin who got X bow very late in the game. It's pretty rough, since dex and bow is expensive, but that's easy enough to cure: make Dex potions with the King sorrels you find. That also helps a ton with thieving skills (another thing I never did with my paladin). At level 25 or so I have 30 bow, 75 dex (which lets me use the 60 damage bow) and the master sword (65 damage). The only spells I have are fire arrow (sucks), fire ball (not too bad with high mana), summon skeleton and summon golem. The only real problem I have is with skeletons, since they're so damn resistant to bow and I have very low melee. I also can't find holy water to make the death to undead rune (although I remember seeing it for sale back when I was a novice).

I like to summon up a golem and either help him kill using the bow, or tank the monster holding the master sword and blocking constantly, only attacking when the monster turns to the golem. It's not very powerful, but it is a lot of fun. I like to think of myself as an almost-ranger; summoning things to help me while I shoot em full of arrows.

Oh and 30% bow doesn't let you shoot very far; you can really only hit stuff at about the range they turn and start hissing at you, but bows do a lot of damage so that close range is fine. I was thinking about cheating and giving myself 30 X bow, since I really don't like how they linked skills. That would let me train Bow at 10 LP per 5 points, instead of the ridiculous 20 LP per 5.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:01 am
(kc)wolverine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

o dont get it. why is everybody trying to give his/ her mage fightingskills? aren't the spells good enough. i think the mages are really powerfull and you should keep to mana and spells otherwise you're nothing more than a bad fighting paladin
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:34 am
Punter X
Village Leader
Village Leader

while the mage at later chapters is arguably the most powerful character, i have personally found that he is weak in early chapters with limited spells and weak armour, not to mention the fast rate of mana drain when relying on spells (indeed the manual suggests the mage guild for "advanced players")
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:52 pm
(kc)wolverine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

well if that's true i'm in for a challenge when i'm gonna start with a mage
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:10 pm
genghiskhan66
City Guard
City Guard

hehehehhe

Its true.....in Gothic I played a mage the 2 nd time and it is the most powerful in the end and yet....in the beginning..you are the weakest.

You can still obtain certain good powerful spell...the ptoblem is like what Punter said...your mana. With just 1 or 2 blast....the entire mana is gone and you have to run like hell to hide so to replenish your mana.

Thru out half the entire game in the beginning.......you most often get killed especial in close combat and ambushes becoz you don;t have time to charge the spells/or worst..running out of mana at the wrong time ...but once you are an expert mage with high mana...you are truly destructive

Still though..you have to run quite abit. And learning melee combat or archery is a definite must. You can't solely rely on magic alone. You don't really need high combat skill...just enough to handle a decent 2 H is good enough. Abt 40 - 50 strenght and a fighter level is pretty good nd spent more on mana. If you have loads of excess XP..learn bow as well. its very useful for multiple foes.

This is based on my first mage from Gothic 1. Pretty kick ass globetrotting mage

In Gothic 1 : this is my run down as a mage:

Specialize : magic
Main weapon : archery
secondary weapon : 2 H
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:53 pm
Kroetsjov
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I made an Xbow Mage ...

before i joined in the monastry i learned xbow till 30%, and dex till 60 or so (in the end i found/made enough dexpotions to use the dragonhunterxbow and masterssword).

IMO this is one of the best combo's; all 'hard' enemies i killed from long range with magic ... all small enemies (like wolves/bloodflies/...) i kill with my bow (killing with bow cost no mana)

The skeletons and undeads i killed with 'Destroy undead' or 'Holy Missile'

... but i think i'm gonna replay the game another time with a pure mage (because this was just too easy )
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:57 pm
mawhonic89
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm playing for the first time, nearly becoming a mage now.. I have 1h at 20 or 30 i think... And so far that is enough.. I think I will rely on spells to i get powerful and then spend some LP's at swordweapons and stuff with my leftovers
Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:35 pm
Mercenary
Helpful Friend
Helpful Friend

Well i was level 9 before joining the Mages.

I trained 2h only because of Fighting Pike and Light Staff later on.

I got 10 mana by drinking a potion and i found some ring for +10 mana and ate whole bunch of mushrooms to get +10 mana

So you can get 30 mana almost for free.

That way you can get 40 mana in 1st Chapter.

Then i trained only in Magic.

I was Level 52 (i think) when i ended the game.

-=Captain of Militia of RPGDot Shadows=-
-=Leader of Mercenaries of Gothic Rogues=-
-=Proud member of NFG=-
-=Forever one soul of Seekers of Chromanin=-
Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:54 pm
Elco
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I enabled quick potions now thayt im playing a mage. the mana is a real problem.

I try not to use them to much because I can see why there is no default quick potions; it makes the game too easy in certain areas. but when im faced with either reloading, or having to run away to replenish mana , I usualy save my time and quaff a potion or 2.

screw firhgting skills. I did fighting skills when i went paladin. this time its spells only baby.
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:47 am