How's magic in Gothic 2?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

How's magic in Gothic 2?

Another nagging set of questions, if you don't mind.

One of the things that bothered me about Gothic was the magic. Face it, it sucked.

Most of the spells were simple missile weapons with no purpose other than to inflict damage, save for the Sleeper spells, which only worked on humans.

They also weren't a valid alternative compaired melee and were pretty much a shoddy replacement for bow weapons. They simply weren't good for anything, save for peppering your enemy at long range.

Is the magic in Gothic 2 more versatile and useful? Can you play as a magic user who can actually depend mainly on his magic to defend himself, or is magic simply the stuff you use to attack your enemy at a distance, before they close the gap? I'd also wonder if the magic is more varied than the "lob colorful blob of magic stuff at enemy and watch his health bar shrink" routine. The type of magic that the Sleeper gave you is good for breaking this routine, but it didn't have a whole lot of in-game applicability for it to be worth investing in. Does Gothic have more Sleeper-like magic that can be used more widely in the game?
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:10 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I beg to differ. True, magic in Gothic could use some polish, but it was still plenty useful. Once you get the hang of it, you'll do well with it. For example, Storm of Fire is extremely useful for taking out enemies at close range. Chain Lightning is also a very useful tool that can take out enemies at close range, since it doesn't require any "charging up" like some other spells do. Pyrokenisis is a very useful spell for taking on a single foe. It freezes them in their tracks and causes damage to them. Another good spell is Ice Block, which freezes a foe in his tracks, allowing you to do whatever spell on him you want.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:38 pm
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Personally I thought that Storm of Wind was a joke. You get one blast off that sends them flying back a few paces and then they surround you while you charge up again. Sometimes it didn't even work, even if the enemies were right in the middle of the blast.

Never used chain lightning, I'll have to try it out.

Pyrokenisis IS useful, but only on one person as you said, and you are often fighting many. It's also quite a mana drainer.

I forgot about Ice Block, which I agree is useful to a degree, though mostly in small groups.

But I still feel that magic didn't hold up a candle compaired to melee and bow. Even if you got around 80 mana, you're still only going to be able to kill 3 or 4 guys before your mana runs out and you have to take a drinking break, whereas in melee two sworded you can wade in and slice the guys before they even get in attack range, maybe losing a little bit of health in the process. In short I never felt that it did anything that basic fighting couldn't fullfill, even though I really wanted to have fun with magic.
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:55 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

G2SpellBalance MOD. I made one for UK 1.31 G2 alone, and changed some creature to have immunity to one of the four damage attacks: melee, arrow, fire, or magic.

I hear that Raven does add balance back into the game. I wanted to make the other spells more useful alternatives.

Tougher Dragons and Seekers. Text corrections, nerfed money and experience exploits in a good way (possible but slow and hard if you really need to get to that next level almost there).

Not much interest. Waiting for US release and see if a large fan base developes to play with Hard Mod.

Raven Expansion has some Dev tools on disk and soon make custom scripts: extra animals, NPC, quest, etc. That will be fun. only seems to work on german G2+Raven...
Post Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:01 pm
Phalanx
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Dogar
But I still feel that magic didn't hold up a candle compaired to melee and bow. Even if you got around 80 mana, you're still only going to be able to kill 3 or 4 guys before your mana runs out and you have to take a drinking break, whereas in melee two sworded you can wade in and slice the guys before they even get in attack range, maybe losing a little bit of health in the process. In short I never felt that it did anything that basic fighting couldn't fullfill, even though I really wanted to have fun with magic.

Magic can do just as much damage as sword/bow in gothic2
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:22 am
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

But as I've said you have to charge up most magic. With a crossbow you get a %40 chance to get a critical and you don't have to charge, meaning that the attack is much faster and much deadlier. As for melee, its attack is even faster than bow or magic. Overall they are much better than magic.

So is anyone going to answer my question about whether the magic in Gothic 2 is the same?
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:54 pm
Phalanx
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I did say in gothic 2 and it isn't the same of course. But there are similarities in spells and how they are cast. Overall magic is more powerful than anything in gothic 2.
Post Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:25 am
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Lol, sorry, when you quoted my argument I assumed you were talking about Gothic, didn't notice the 2 for some reason.
Post Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:33 am