Usergroups
What RPG had the most impact on you?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Ultima 5. I played it constantly and was totally absorbed into the game. The way Blackthorn had twisted the virtues to fuel his tyranny really made me angry.
Post Tue May 04, 2004 6:31 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ultima Underworld 2. The first UW I played, and I think also the first CRPG (unless you count Master Of Magic on C64! ). Totally blew me away, and on re-playing I still find it hard to believe how ahead of its time it was.

System Shock is probably the most affecting game I've ever played (for obvious reasons to anyone who's played the CD version), but I'll say UUW2 here, as it's a "real" CRPG, and its intricate design is a lesson other dev's should learn from (but few do).

I found PS:T absolutely amazing too. Possibly the first game that ever made me really care about NPCs (as strongly as I would about characters in a good book or film), and that was a revelation. I still remember the moment I realised this, and Black Isle's writers will always have mucho respect from me for that. If I'd never played UUW before, my answer would be PS:T.

The Shenmue series deserves a mention here too (especially the 2nd game)... there's nothing else like it, and I found it totally mesmerising, but just a few irritations in the design stop it from being quite as profound an experience as the above three.
Post Tue May 04, 2004 6:58 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ultima Underworld and Daggerfall have to be the most influecal to me.
LB
Post Tue May 04, 2004 8:38 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

@piln: Same feelings towards SysShock here. Since I don't regard it as a CRPG, LoL became my pick.
Post Tue May 04, 2004 9:00 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Addendum to my first statement:

Now, if we were to talk any genre of game that changed my 'life' then that would be Heretic II. It was my very first game addiction and led to my online gaming addiction. I am still and always will be a part of that game and community. They are just as homey as you all are, but with a lot more issues. I loved that game. I think I'm gonna go play it again.

-=>Loyal Member of the NFG<=-

"In the end, a shadow is only a passing thing."
Post Wed May 05, 2004 2:35 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Any genre? Okay, that was Wolfenstein 3D for me. It made me buy a computer.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 11:20 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Settlers. It WAS my life for a while
Post Wed May 05, 2004 3:26 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

The question asks which RPG, so I have to answer D&D. For me it started the long hobby. Only war gaming has lived longer ... but I find RPGs a better port to the PC than wargames.

This game sucked me for a number of years ... and just when I started to get bored ... DQ, C&S and Space Opera came along to keep the addiction running strong.

As to CRPGs ... thats a toughie for me. I would have to say Anvil of Dawn. For the first time in my life a CRPG caught me and would not give my life back to me until I'd finished it. Ultima V was close, but the feeling of total addiction and immersion wasn't there.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 4:46 pm
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

For me it was the first Final Fantasy game on the NES. It wasn't the first RPG I had played (that would be the original Dragon Warrior), but it was the game that got me hooked on RPGs. From that game, I can draw a straight line of RPGs that I played through the SNES, Saturn, PSOne, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube and, finally, the PC, with such PC goodness as Gothic 1 and 2, Morrowind, Baldur's Gate, PS: Torment, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Summoner, Divine Divinity, Arx Fatalis, etc. Now if I just had the time to finish some of them.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 5:12 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Well, Lintra definitely has good eyes. The topic indeed is 'Which RPG". Okay, I may have played AD&D for quite some time back then, but the RPG that really got me hooked was Traveller.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 6:30 pm
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
I would have to say Anvil of Dawn. For the first time in my life a CRPG caught me and would not give my life back to me until I'd finished it.

Can't agree more... AoD is one of the most underrated games in history. I remember playing the 5 minute long demo over and over until finally got the game.
Other in this category would be Stonekeep.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 6:45 pm
Scribelus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

My first RPG was "Tunnels and Trolls", and my first CRPG was "Wizard's Crown" by SSI, which blew me away. Can still remember the sound of sword hitting shield... (Actually I just looked for it on the web and you can get it as a free download at http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1275 !)

Of the new generation, the first I played was Fallout 2, which got me back on the CRPG habit. I loved the text-only conversations in Torment - especially the story of the fallen angel, as well as the back-story you discover as you play, of course.

I haven't really LOVED any CRPGS for years now, though I still play of course. Mafia isn't an RPG, but I liked the story and atmosphere a lot. Now I'm waiting for Thief 3, Vampire: Bloodlines, STALKER, Driver 3...

But I guess nothing will ever beat dreaming about fantastic worlds at age 14...

Cue Weezer...

"I've got the Dungeon Master's Guide... I've got a 12-sided die..."

EDIT: Forgot to mention Runequest!! Oh my God!!
Post Thu May 06, 2004 8:22 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Tunnels and Trolls? That one was hilarious... it just wasn't serious. T&T was meant as a parody of D&D back then - sometimes a character's combat bonus was enough to kill an enemy.
Post Thu May 06, 2004 10:23 am
Scribelus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Tunnels and Trolls definitely did not take itself seriously. It had a lot of "solo adventures" which my friends and I played more than we sat down to have proper games. Some were kinda serious, but even they had comic elements in places. I still have a lot of them. Some are very atmospheric.

The combat system totally sucks though. I got the books out when I was back at my parents at Xmas, and fights can become so evenly balanced that they go on for ages. You have to write a program that resolves them instantly or it's terrible.

Runequest had some great literature written for it. Especially the "Cults" books. It's a very unique world, based more on the ancient world than the medieval, but with its own twist. Mythology is an essential part of gameplay, and it's really interesting mythology. They had a great "house" magazine too.

That's one thing with computer games - I find it harder to read in-game text - not sure if it's the medium or just that it is bland. The stories and mythology of Runequest really brought the gameworld to life. Morrowind had some good stuff though. But what is better is characters who tell you stories, like in PS: Torment. I've been playing Hordes of the Underdark, and I thought the companions would have more stories to tell than they do...
Post Thu May 06, 2004 12:26 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Hexen 2 made it clear that I want more depth then in pure shooters.. Gothic converted me completely to RPG genre.
Post Thu May 06, 2004 12:59 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next