A few useful beginner tips.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Towlie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A few useful beginner tips.

This is not a walktrough but just a rundown of the tings i wish i knew before i played the game 4 the first time:

There is an abundance of "useless" skills in the game and LevelPoints (lp) is hard to come by so it is important to decide early on what kind of character u want 2 play.
I do not recommend going for a dex based fighter since dex does not factor in a critical hit (bug) and several monsters are immune 2 arrows.
Unless u have a thing for ranged weapons id suggest u forget about dex alltogether and focus on strenght. U will still have over 90 dex at the end of the game if u buy perm potions and EAT goblin berries.

The only non combat skills every character will need is lockpick, permanent potion and skin animal.
Pickpocket can be VERY rewarding as well, but require a high dex (read on about Exp penalties).

Hunting skills are mostly useless and very expensive, so stay away unless ur character NEEDS the skill.
Aside from "skinning animals" there are a few huntingskills u should learn depending upon ur char:
If ur a merc u will neeed: remove dragonsblod,remove dragon scales, and (not a must) remove shadowbeast horn.
A merc is also the only1 who needs -forge weapons.
For a mage u may want to learn remove teeth early on as a troll tusk(tooth) is required for a particular spell.(not a MUST tho).

Early on u will be asked to join 1 of 3 ppl as an apprentice.
The best choice is definetly bosper who will then become ur main source of income. Do NOT join constantion as u will have to bring him some VERY valuable herbs.

Minor spoiler:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If u stumble upon the thiefsguild u will initially meet a rather unsavery fellow..
if u say ur there to kill him you may do so and still join the thieves.
Why u would want to do this is because of the key he carries.
It opens a door nearby..inside is a chest containing a perm +5 to dex potion and a +15 to str amulet. VERY handy early on.
If u dont kill him and join the thieves he will give u the key in chap 3.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also DONT sell anything u find yet cus if u follow this guide and sell it 2 the rigth merchant u will be able to sell everything TWICE .

The most powerful allaround is the paladin (join the militia) and id recommend this for ur first time around. They have the best armor in the game and idiotic enuff the best magic. They do the same damage with 5 mana as a mage does with 75!!

If ur planning to become a mage u should train ur fighting skills before u join the monestary, because the cost of fighting skills(also str\dex) DOUBLE after u join.
Since mages dont get any special weapons id recomend going for 2 handed fig style. Unlike 1handed 2handed is useless under 60 skill, so u will need to raise ur character quite high before joining the mages.(NOT something i recommend for ur first time around.
For 1 handed u only need 30skill and 40-65 str.
For 2 handed Id suggest u take ur str to 40 and 2Handed to 60.
Thx 2 permanent potions u can raise str l8r.

An important thing to note is that exp rewards for some quests increase each chapter.
So something that would give u 50xp in chap1 could get u 750 in chap5. This does not apply to the main quest(s).
So try to level up by killing things in chapter 1-2.

About Permanent Potions:

Alchemy is a must for all classes, but not necessary untill chap 3.

The most important thing to be on the lookout for is a plant called KINGS SORREL. This is the primary ingridient in any potion that permanently raises an attribute.
In addition to the ones u find u can buy 1-2 from constantino\sagita in each chapter starting at chap2. Not to spoil anything, but :In chap4 REMEMBER 2 return 2 them for plants.
In chap5 u can also buy from Luthero.

If ur a fighter type the best stat to raise is definetly strengt (dragon root)
Because dragon roots randomly appair in the inventory of elite orcs.
(whith a little save\loading almost all elite orcs:P)

U can only train str\dex to 90 (100 in chap 6 ,but not worth the wait) so DONT use any perm potions on ur primary attribute untill u have maxed it out.
Remember to remove any ring\amulet that increase ur str or dex before u train it 2 the max.
Mana u can train 2 250 in chap 5 but only 200 in chap 6 .

U can also get a perm boost from prayer shrines by donating 100 gold (once pr day 11 times).
Note that this boost doubles for mage`s and paladin`s in chap 3 after u have recieved a "promotion". It is also a good idea to wait until u have maxed out ur prim attrib b4 u pray.(mages might have a hard time doing that).
Also: the class penalties apply for mages\mercs but paladins get no mana penalty.
4 mages and paladins the best place to pray is at the monestary. Just pray\sleep\pray untill u no longer get a stat bonus(save often).

There are a few nice rewards to be had by donating to the firemage in town.
Also eating enuff apples or hell mushrooms gives a one time stat bonus.

I promised u would be able to sell ur things twice didnt i?
This might be considered cheating so be warned:

In chapter 3 when u reach the castle, a paladin will initiate a conversation, and if u ask him about trading he will offer u some spell scrolls.
Sell everything u have to him because in chap 4 u will find him dead with everything u sold still in his inventory .

Well , thats about it.
Hope it helped

Last edited by Towlie on Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:12 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

That's a pretty helpful guide, though I disagree that a lot of the skills are "useless."

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:34 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

I disagree with the line wich says the brewing potions skill is a must for every class.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:59 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well it pretty much actually is cos u dont know where to put all those plants that u collected everywhere
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:42 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Nice, I'm no beginner anymore but well done.
I won't say anything about things I agree with or don't, because you can play the game in a dozen of ways. Therefore I wouldn't say that certain things are a must or useless. That's the great part of the game you can make your own choices and if someone wants to become a dexfighter he should do so, etc.

Oops, did say something about things I agree with or don't
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:49 pm
Towlie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by EDV
I disagree with the line wich says the brewing potions skill is a must for every class.

Well the game is still playable with 100 to ur primary attribute, but so much more fun with 170-200+ so i consider potions a must.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:22 pm
Towlie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
Nice, I'm no beginner anymore but well done.
I won't say anything about things I agree with or don't, because you can play the game in a dozen of ways. Therefore I wouldn't say that certain things are a must or useless. That's the great part of the game you can make your own choices and if someone wants to become a dexfighter he should do so, etc.

Oops, did say something about things I agree with or don't

I agree that the freedom of the game is what makes it great, and im not trying to tell ppl how to play the game. Im merly trying to inform ppl about potential pitfalls like dex bugs, wasting potions, exp etc...so they wont make the same mistakes i have made.
It sux having played for days only to discover u dont have any more things to kill and need 20 lp to achieve weapon mastery or summit.
Then im sure u will agree that the 30 lp u spent on hunting skills when u started out was something of a waste.
Like i said its not a walktrough just things i wish i knew before playing.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:54 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

30 lp wasted on hunting skills is pretty drastic. Oops.

I always liked to learn those things but I find them too expensive (5 lp). Certainly in the beginning of the game, yes. Fortunately those "useless" skills are a lot cheaper in the addon (1 or 2 lp).
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:50 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yes almost all hunting skills are in addon 1-2lp + the sword forging and all those production skills are not anymore +5 its balanced u know
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:26 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

yes but us English speaking folk will never see the addon ever unless we learn German.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:36 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Don't worry. It'll come some day.
I have some experience with Jowood, cause I've played the Aquanoxseries. It's was the same story there. For both AN1 and AN2 we gamers had to wait a year before an English version was released, while the english voice-action was finished in three months. So I'm sure it will be released. I only hope we don't have to wait a year for it.
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:42 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ehe aquanox series are also pretty nice indeed tho i only placed the second part first i still havent found in stores its probably too old
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:20 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Too be honest, I never played the second one. I couldn't stand it to wait for about a year (where do I have heard that before ), and started looking for a new game and found...

*drum roll*

Gothic 2
Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:38 am
Robar the II
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Graham 2
yes but us English speaking folk will never see the addon ever unless we learn German.

That is true but sad . Hopefully they will get there heads on straight and realize they need to make an english version of the addon, not beacuse I think we are more important, but mainly that they will receive 3 times more profit from english speaking customers then German, seeing as how more people speak or understand english then German.
Post Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:23 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Robar the II
quote:
Originally posted by Graham 2

That is true but sad . Hopefully they will get there heads on straight and realize they need to make an english version of the addon, not beacuse I think we are more important, but mainly that they will receive 3 times more profit from english speaking customers then German, seeing as how more people speak or understand english then German.

u need a good publisher also for that and a high commercial in many other lands then they get the proffit
Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:06 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next