View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
oh god please no! I can't stand it when games do that. Just make the horse automatically eat some grass when you stop or something.

Actually, Pikkon's horse idea makes me wonder if it's possible to implement the Chocobo system from Final Fantasy VII (my first pseudo-3D RPG!!! ) into any new Gothic games.

Here are some features which make FF7 Chocoboes so unique:

• Capturing horses from the wilderness;
  • Nuts and greens that make Gothic horses stronger;
  • Horse breeding;
  • Riding horse allows the hero to escape encounters from SOME enemies;
  • Horse races which give the hero different unique awards;
  • Different horse grading (i.e. Classes C, B, A, S), giving the player an incentive to work on his/her companion;
  • A brief story which makes the relationship between the horse and the hero closer.

It's a really weird thought. I hope Chekote won't be angry at me.

@My dear Edith: *looks at topic* Wow. Another of my off-topic posts. I don't know, but is it allowed here?

Last edited by Kiwi Boy on Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:53 pm
Scribbles
Unsent
Unsent

They did that in everquest and it made the game alot slower. you did have the option to not have the horses in the game though. sounds internesting...

Broken in Exile
Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:50 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Me? Angry? Never!

I liked the chocobo stuff in FF also, but I dont think it really fits in with the style of the Gothic Series.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:23 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Morning.LemoN
...the only thing i would really like to see in gothic 3 would be a really major battle. in a big battlefield, with big armies in both sides. and stratecigal movements would have to be made.....archers....fighters....

Sounds like an RTS. I really hope the future Gothic games will not descend into a mix of RPG and RTS, just like Warcraft III. I want a decent story with a strong development of the main character (i.e. the nameless hero, in this case), not just gameplay.

quote:
Originally posted by Scribbles
They did that in everquest and it made the game alot slower. you did have the option to not have the horses in the game though.

The implementation of horses makes the game slow because EverQuest is an MMORPG, where the game must calculate not only for the players, but also for their respective horses. *an evil curse to MMORPGs *

Anyway, in an interview, Michael Hoge mentioned that Gothic III will be a single-player RPG, and thus, the new Game will not encounter this kind of problems if player-possessed animals are added.

quote:
I liked the chocobo stuff in FF also, but I dont think it really fits in with the style of the Gothic Series.

If the developers are cunning and imaginative enough, they can adapt this idea, while modifying the style of the idea in accordance to the Gothic series.

@Jaz: Will Gothic III be similar to Morrowind, where the underground code is licenced, but the graphics, story, script, etc. are original? Would you like to tell us which engine it will use?

@Edith: Added response to Chekote.
@Edith: Seek after You again and again, just to fix my typos -- hope the readers will understand my words. Gosh, when will my English improve?

Last edited by Kiwi Boy on Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:27 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I sure hope its not like morrowind! We would lose all the wonderful Geology then.

If they did that I would cry.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:34 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
I sure hope its not like morrowind!

I modified my question again, thanks to Edith for identifying my erratum. I was asking if the licencing system is similar to Morrowind, not the game itself.

quote:
We would lose all the wonderful Geology then.

What's the problem with Morrowind's geology by the way? It's not that bad; Morrowind just lacks the liveliness in Gothic.

IMHO, Gothic 2 + Morrowind = Perfect Game. (I hope this will not be a flame bait.) The massive world, which Gothic lacks somewhat, is glorified in Morrowind; Gothic's characters are vitalized by their actions and AI, while the ones in Morrowind are dead.

quote:
If they did that I would cry.

I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to develop the best game in the world. So, if they really do that, they still have my respect (about which they don't care).
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:40 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

@Kiwi Boy:
1) Too early to tell, but it seems like it will be a mix.
2) Sorry, but no. Please leave it at that.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:56 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thank you, but...

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Please leave it at that.

I'm really sorry if I demanded too much. Clearly, it was a set of foolish questions at this time.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:22 am
Morning.LemoN
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Sounds like an RTS. I really hope the future Gothic games will not descend into a mix of RPG and RTS, just like Warcraft III. I want a decent story with a strong development of the main character (i.e. the nameless hero, in this case), not just gameplay.

i would never like gothic 3 to end like warcraft III!!!
but wouldn't it be cool if you had let's say a meeting before the war with your friends (diego, lester, milten,.....) and the stratecigal generals and plan the war, and then in the battle you would be one of the army among thousands of orcs, trolls, maybe even dragons flying above your head.....arrows falling....spears... and for each guild you would have a different position or task in the war....
but i guess i'm asking too much.....nevermind.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:57 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Boy
What's the problem with Morrowind's geology by the way? It's not that bad; Morrowind just lacks the liveliness in Gothic.

What I meant was that compared to Gothic, Morrowinds geology is very flat and way too "bubbly". I love all the huge cliffs, overhangs, caves, waterfalls etc in Gothic, and Morrowind either didnt have any of this, or what it did have wasnt done very well.

I dont want to bane this topic into a Morrwind vs Gothic thread. All I want to say is: PB, please please please make sure you keep the amazing Geology from the Gothics when making the Engine for Gothic 3, that is one of the main reasons I loved the Gothics so much.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:03 pm
a24710
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i hope gothic will never be like morrowind

is really nice the first two weeks, but after that is really boring and repetitive

gothic has more life and the combats (although they aren´t like the severance one´s) are really better than morrowind´s ones

the story is more interesting and not so boring as the morrowind´s story

and, except from graphics, in general gothic is rellay better

piranha, continue that way, the only improvable thing in gothic series are the combats, it would be nice to se severance´s combats in gothic

P.D: i hope some day i will be able to buy gothic 2 in spain with spanish subtitles
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:11 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Some guy (Here on RPGDot) translated the German Demo subtitles into English. Maybe you could go around the Gothic sites and see if you could find some people to translate the full game subtitles into Spanish.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:36 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm sure JoWooD/Atari will publish G2 in Spanish once they finish off the International Version in America.

I remember some guy tried to translate the subtitles into his own language (Simplified Chinese?), but he seemed to disappear afterwards (Reference). I think he didn't make any progress for his own subtitles. Let's forget about him.

Sorry that I can't find anyone who made the Spanish subtitles here. Perhaps, you can make your own one with the help of some experenced programmers.

The guy Chekote mentioned, was HornOx, who translated the game unofficially into English with the help of his own Perl code (Reference). Since the English release, the download link of his subtitles had been removed from his website.

I'm afraid if he dislikes being disturbed, but if you really insist of making your own subtitles, you may want to contact him for any insights or guidelines.

Here is a list of his team members. The email addresses and ICQ numbers are there.

A regular at this forum, Xerxes712, may be able to help you, too.

P.S. @All: Sorry, again, , for making a controversial comparison between Gothic 3 (???) and Morrowind (NDL NetImmerse). It might be safer to choose a less related game to compare.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:00 pm
a24710
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

well, i´m not interested in translating gothic2

i´m spanish and if i pay 40-50€ for a game i would like to read it in spanish, is so simple as that

i speak and read english but it costs me a lot and i don´t do it perfectly

if i play a game i wanna pay attention to the game itself, don´t want to be always concentrated trying to translate everything in my mind

the english voices are really great, but please, spanish subtitles
i don´t want spanish voices

anyway, if i translated the game then i couldn´t play it, cause i would know everything that was going to happen
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:36 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I wasnt suggesting you do it, I was suggesting you try to rally support in the fan community so SOMEONE would do it.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:41 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next