View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Negatyfus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Performance tweaking on slower PC's

Hey!

I've probably got all I can get out of Gothic II, performance-wise, but maybe somebody can help me anyway. I've only recently read about the F1-F4 keys that were implemented in patch 1.30 (I'm running 1.31, yippee!) that allow you to set the range of view quickly (I had to go to the config page when I was in Khorinis every time grrrr!).

Upgraded my memory a while ago and it took a damn load of my HD. Good times all around, but I still get freezes. I hope I can squeeze more out of this PC. Specifically, I'm wondering how much the level of detail for the textures and models make a difference. In Khorinis, I swear I get more temporary freezing than in the wilderness when I push the detail up, but I don't see any noticable decrease when I'm in the forest. Grrr, I hate switching back and forth. Anyway, here's my PC specs: (I know, slow CPU. Need to buy new motherboard)

- Pentium 3 800 MHZ
- 448MB SDRAM
- GeForce3 Ti200 128MB
- Slow-ass HD (as far as I can tell-- not many HD's lying around to compare it with)

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:24 am
RastaBlasta420
Village Leader
Village Leader

Get a new HD.
Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:01 am
Negatyfus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Actually, after my RAM upgrade, when I'm in the game and everything is loaded in memory, the HD is seldomly spun. I don't think much has to get loaded from HD after playing a while, so this would only increase loading times when you first start the game. That's not really something that is essential to me.
Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:44 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

From what I've read, the city is the worst on all machines compared to rest of game. I think your processor is part of problem as well. Hard for it to keep up with all the stuff in the game as you move. Unless you plan to upgrade that I don't think you can do much to fix it. Just my opionion.
Mark Twain
Post Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:31 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I also think so. Hit F1 in town and on Lobardīs farm. There isnīt much you can do. You would need a new PC to see better results.
Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:07 pm
GothBloth
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by cmckj50
From what I've read, the city is the worst on all machines compared to rest of game. I think your processor is part of problem as well. Hard for it to keep up with all the stuff in the game as you move. Unless you plan to upgrade that I don't think you can do much to fix it. Just my opionion.

It's the opposite on my machine. I have real smooth game play in town, but when I go in the forest there are places were the game is unplayable like near abandoned hunting camps. In these areas my charecter will take step then the game will pause take another step then pause again the whole time the camp is in view.

Even if you had a system like mine the game would still run like chit in some places
1024MB Corsair LLPT PC3200
Hercules Radeon 9800 Pro
Maxtor 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache ATA133 HD
Sony 16X DVD
Sony 52 CDRW
Hercules Fortissimo 7.1
Intergrated NIC
NEC LCD 1712
TTGI Superflow 520W PSU
Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:05 pm