Usergroups
Lintra tries again ...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Update - made it to the monestary. Not all that hard on the third try ... not sure why. Fought my way to Trynton (had one very messy fight on the way, 19 beasties at once. 6 Piercer modai, 4 juggernaughts and a mess o other stuff). Went and planted my butt in a nice safe corner and fought for 32 rounds. Netted 24,000+ xps for the deal ... not too shabby.

Am now banging around Trynton. One question - How do I get to the breeder rats? Hmmmm, not sure I want to do that quest yet, but after running around and bumping into multiple locked doors I can not pass (the blue marble doesn't do it for anything yet), and chest behind bars with a cryptic message about the third messanger, and a rat thug who wants a 'pass word' type of thing, it seem like I am out of options, and it is Marten's Bluff next (Yeah, had my little vision with the Shaman on the 7th bough). Am I missing something here? It seems like the ratties would be good for a fair amount of experience, but they are not (yet) hostile.
Post Mon May 30, 2005 5:35 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The breeders are just up the path from the "password rat" (ask him about the game's Big Baddie).

If you've seen the Shaman, you've already used the blue marble.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon May 30, 2005 10:23 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
The breeders are just up the path from the "password rat" (ask him about the game's Big Baddie).

If you've seen the Shaman, you've already used the blue marble.

Drat! I've already made it to Marten's Bluff ... but I can head back.

Puzzled query: When queried about helping a faction can I say no at first and then change my mind later? I was not crazy about saying 'yes' to helping the T'Rang ... but how else would I get inside the Fortress?

Query: What is the shiny marble for? Is it 2b used in the future? Also, is there a green marble?

Please don't spoil me too badly on any answers *grin*

Well, I've agreed to retrieve the flag for the T'Rang ... so it's off again. Story so far ... need words and Idol from the Bluff, but can't access the Bluff w/o flag (maybe) so it's off to get a flag. Combat is easing up a little ... except for the mauligators (Chomp 40 hits, Chomp 45 hits, Chomp "Oh, and he was such a nice guy") - and that with all the power ups I have access to! (Armor, blade, magic and missle shields, bless).

Additional Query: What exactly does 'pray' do? Once I noticed that everyone recovered fatigue - is that the only effect?
Post Tue May 31, 2005 11:23 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
Puzzled query: When queried about helping a faction can I say no at first and then change my mind later? I was not crazy about saying 'yes' to helping the T'Rang ... but how else would I get inside the Fortress?

To be honest, I do not know. I've always said 'Yes'. But access to Upper/Lower Martin's Bluff is not determined by whether you join them or not. You will need certain items or a particular route to gain access.

quote:
Query: What is the shiny marble for? Is it 2b used in the future? Also, is there a green marble?

Yes, the shiny marble will be used. There is not a green marble, but the Astral Dominae kinda looks like one.

quote:
Additional Query: What exactly does 'pray' do? Once I noticed that everyone recovered fatigue - is that the only effect?

'Pray' will give a random benefit to the party.
Post Tue May 31, 2005 11:52 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The Mines are a good way of getting access to the fortress.
Post Tue May 31, 2005 8:44 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by _gator
'Pray' will give a random benefit to the party.
Sometimes. The gods are moody little buggers and they don't like being pestered if you're not in big trouble.
Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:21 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Lintra, I'm glad you're giving it another try :].
I hope you're having nice time.
Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:53 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

And so the adventure continues!

Explored the swamp, found all kinds of cool stuff ... had to reload due to party death (only the second time, drat it all), however, I think I now know where Cronk is hiding. Nasty bloody encounter with some spell casting guardians. Don't recall what they are, but man o man was the party toasted! After the first wave of spells hit the mage was dead, the thief, cleric and ranger where reduced to under 10 hp's each ... and needless to say when after the second round only the fighter was alive, with about 30 hps and facing four baddies I decided to reload and avoid until later. I figure that must be his body guard (or captors). Lucky for me I figured that funny ravine in which the encounter occured would be dangereous, so I'd saved right before entering.

Anyway, found enough stuff that the party is now encumbered so, back to Trynton to sell stuff off, and knock off the breeders. Spent a long time cleaning out of the base of Trynton.

Annoyed Query: Has any one else be log jammed by Trynnie patrols getting 'stuck' in entrances to the the trees? ARG! Very, very frustrating!!!

Found I couldn't sell off enough to get rid of the encumberance so, after gettng xp's for completion of rat killing quest, off to Arnika!

Musing Query: If I buy the the AD from the rat don, will the Dark Savant come hunting me at once? A moot question at this stage, as I don't have the ~380,000 gold.

Ran into the grave yard just before quitting.

Amused Query: When i ran into the graveyard I got a whisper of a memory that there was an easter egg there, is that correct?

Alright, alright already Val!!! I'll use the search function *grin* Anyway, saved right before entering ... 'cuz the wispy tendrils of the vague memory informed me that the easter egg might be very sensitive to re-entry issues.

So four and one half hours of play later and not much accomplished, aside from a ton of xp's ... unless the respawn rate for Trynton and the swamp is very long.

@Dani - yes, very much enjoying it!

@Val - NOW you tell me! Actually I decided to put the mines off after I stumbled onto the enterance until after I'd un-encumbered the party, so no harm there.

@dte - Now how the heck was I to know that? I tried a ton of things ... does he respond to Astral Dominae (sp???)? I know I tried that one - but maybe I mangled the spelling too badly.

@all - After returning to Arnika I plan to head to Mt Gigas ... is this a smart move, or should I head back to the mines?

PS - I can't believe I've fallen into HK-47 query mode. He's gotta be one of my all time favorite NPCs - he's got some of the best lines.

PPS - Sorry about the length of this post, but I am enjoying keeping a kind of diary. Although entries will be sporadic, since Mrs. Lintra's current play only runs on Tuesdays, with occasional special performances and oddly schedualed rehersals.
Post Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:26 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
And so the adventure continues!

Explored the swamp, found all kinds of cool stuff ... had to reload due to party death (only the second time, drat it all), however, I think I now know where Cronk is hiding. Nasty bloody encounter with some spell casting guardians. Don't recall what they are, but man o man was the party toasted! After the first wave of spells hit the mage was dead, the thief, cleric and ranger where reduced to under 10 hp's each ... and needless to say when after the second round only the fighter was alive, with about 30 hps and facing four baddies I decided to reload and avoid until later. I figure that must be his body guard (or captors). Lucky for me I figured that funny ravine in which the encounter occured would be dangereous, so I'd saved right before entering.
You're not ready to deal with the Rynjin yet. Soul shield is pretty much a necessity.
quote:
Annoyed Query: Has any one else be log jammed by Trynnie patrols getting 'stuck' in entrances to the the trees? ARG! Very, very frustrating!!!
Common problem. Camp for 1/2 a second and they'll usually unjam.
quote:
Musing Query: If I buy the the AD from the rat don, will the Dark Savant come hunting me at once? A moot question at this stage, as I don't have the ~380,000 gold.
Hunting is probably a poor word to use, but you'll get a nasty conversation with Big Baddie.
quote:
Amused Query: When i ran into the graveyard I got a whisper of a memory that there was an easter egg there, is that correct?
Correctomundo!
quote:
@dte - Now how the heck was I to know that? I tried a ton of things ... does he respond to Astral Dominae (sp???)? I know I tried that one - but maybe I mangled the spelling too badly.

@all - After returning to Arnika I plan to head to Mt Gigas ... is this a smart move, or should I head back to the mines?
I never figured out why to ask him about Big Baddie either. That's why I'll give that spoiler up to anyone that asks.
I generally hit Mt Gigas before Trynton. There's no real reason to do it before the mines if you don't want to, though.
Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:53 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Soul shield? Interesting. I believe I took that spell at last level up ... how much more effective than magic screen is it?

I checked out the easter egg hint stuff yesterday ... and you were correct, there is *no* way I would've gotten that on my own. Yeesh! How the heck is any one supposed to figure that stuff out?

As a side note - no progress was made yesterday, as Mrs Lintra and I spent some much needed time just hanging out before I went to martial arts class, after which I was wiped out (in a good way .. really tough work out last night, my legs are gonna feel it for days!).
Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:42 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
I never figured out why to ask him about Big Baddie either. That's why I'll give that spoiler up to anyone that asks.

Rattus Rattus is the one that gives the clues.
Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:58 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Soul shield? Interesting. I believe I took that spell at last level up ... how much more effective than magic screen is it?

I checked out the easter egg hint stuff yesterday ... and you were correct, there is *no* way I would've gotten that on my own. Yeesh! How the heck is any one supposed to figure that stuff out?

As a side note - no progress was made yesterday, as Mrs Lintra and I spent some much needed time just hanging out before I went to martial arts class, after which I was wiped out (in a good way .. really tough work out last night, my legs are gonna feel it for days!).
Soul shield stacls with magic screen. The combination will help you out significantly with the Rynjin. It's a lot like the "elemental shield + magic screen" stack, which is pivotal against things like mountain sprites.

As for the easter eggs, once word got out about their existance, a few hardcore folks used a trainer to quickly give themselves every item in the game to try. The designers patently refused to spill the beans. Don't tackle that easter egg until your party is roughly level 11 or higher.
Post Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:01 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:

As for the easter eggs, once word got out about their existance, a few hardcore folks used a trainer to quickly give themselves every item in the game to try. The designers patently refused to spill the beans. Don't tackle that easter egg until your party is roughly level 11 or higher.

Oops, too late! I cleaned out the cemetary Easter Egg ... party is mostly 10th level. Why the warning about L11? I didn't find it too very challenging (aside from 4 fire breathing beasties that were very easy to freeze flesh on).

Thanks for the story! I was really wondering about that, I mean stick a dagger into the corner of the cemetary wall? Wow, is that obscure!!

Didn't play much yesterday ... just cleaned out the dungeon, then ran to Arnika, sold off a ton (literally) of stuff. Am now shopping for spell books. Then its time to flip a coin ... Gigas or Mines? Can't decide.
Post Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:57 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

I would do Gigas...more spellbooks there
Post Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:27 pm
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

aye

sounds like yer havin a blast lintra!

i moved all the way from illinois to texas jus so i could play this silly game...i jus arrived in arnika n geez is it a hassle...

good luck in yer adventures n i hope you have a good time!

-porter

"You are not crazy if you talk to yourself. You are only crazy if you talk back..." -?

"Your mouth is full...full of disease. And yet, I still want to pull your teeth." -Knarnak
Post Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:38 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next