Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Player Housing
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > World of Warcraft

Should player housing be included in WoW?
Yes
76%
 76%  [ 10 ]
No
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Maybe
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

Author Thread
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Player Housing

Blizzard is deciding whether or not to put player housing in WoW. Your thoughts on whether or not it should be included?

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:32 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

it would be cool if i was out on a hunt, to come home to my very own house.
infact, i dont care to much for housing, if they have it great. if they dont thats just as great. They will have there own reasons for not adding it right....
Post Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Maybe in a restricted way. Have a few zones were you can have your house, and instance those zones while more and more get their houses.
Post Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:37 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Well, I am for housing - if you are in a guild, you could build you own settlement.
Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:14 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I think player housing is extremely important. If WoW expects to compete with other MMORPGs (namely those currently unreleased), then it'll definitely need some form of sophisticated player housing. Players need the ability (with much cost and effort), to build houses, towns, and/or castles. Players also need to be able to build their own, or hire others to build houses. WoW won't have zones, therefore, there probably won't be any area restrictions.

My ideal housing system would be developed so that the average mid-level character could barely afford a lowest class house/hut. Housing is a necessary element in role-playing. It is a result of the natural progression of MMORPGs. Most hardcore role-players must agree that housing is an essential element in modern MMORP gaming. Many aspects, from getting married within the game, to sharing the same reputation or last name with ALT (altnerate) characters, point towards player housing.

While I don't think the overall success of WoW depends on player housing, I do think it would be among the top features WoW could potentially have. Developing a system for player housing in an MMORPG won't be an easy task, but it'll surely be worth the cost and effort. If there is one, player housings will ultimately be vulnerable to destruction, whether it be by failure to pay a property tax, failure to defend from other NPC or MoBs, or by simply expiring your account with Blizzard.

Also, if there is player housing, I suspect there will be carpentry and construction tradeskills. Having the option to choose (within reason and cost) the construction site should be a mutual necessity.
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:09 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

I dont want this cheesy element in WoW. Let games like horizons have it.
and keep it.

It would be no where near WoW top features.
fullstop.
(I advise you buy horizons when its released.)
Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:23 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I can't morally argue with an opinion, but I am certain you're outnumbered.

Here's two of what is at least 100's of examples across different sites:

First

Second
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:12 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I like the ideas in the first link you listed very much, and I hope it's implemented.

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:29 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I think the most attractive aspect of player housing is having the ability to run one's own business from their own home/building. I love the idea of players being able to build and run their own bar, where other players can come and get drunk, eat food, and gamble with historically accurate card and/or chess games. The idea of having mini-games within a game, surrounded by a realistic environment, such as a bar or a tavern, is a very appealing one. There wouldn't be a limit to the amount of fun one could derive from such a feature. One could even control the bar/tavern market by buying out all their competitors, finding the best locations, etc...

After a while, certain taverns and bars would inevitably become more popular than others. It would be sort of like playing a virtual stock-market. Accumulating income would no longer be limited to the items you get from camping MoBs. A barkeeper could develop a tradeskill in brewing, and create everything they sell, only buying the necessary materials from a trusted salesman or traveler. If you're character is exceptionally good at constructing or repairing buildings, you could make a large sum of currency doing that.

The bottom-line is that player housing can potentially open up a whole new plethora of freedom only limited by your imagination.

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:58 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

quote:
Originally posted by SirDeity
I think the most attractive aspect of player housing is having the ability to run one's own business from their own home/building. I love the idea of players being able to build and run their own bar, where other players can come and get drunk, eat food, and gamble with historically accurate card and/or chess games. The idea of having mini-games within a game, surrounded by a realistic environment, such as a bar or a tavern, is a very appealing one. There wouldn't be a limit to the amount of fun one could derive from such a feature. One could even control the bar/tavern market by buying out all their competitors, finding the best locations, etc...

After a while, certain taverns and bars would inevitably become more popular than others. It would be sort of like playing a virtual stock-market. Accumulating income would no longer be limited to the items you get from camping MoBs. A barkeeper could develop a tradeskill in brewing, and create everything they sell, only buying the necessary materials from a trusted salesman or traveler. If you're character is exceptionally good at constructing or repairing buildings, you could make a large sum of currency doing that.

The bottom-line is that player housing can potentially open up a whole new plethora of freedom only limited by your imagination.

Ah, I see that you, like me, want the game to be immersive. I like all your ideas, particularly the gambling one. I think players should be able to have jobs as well.

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:09 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

So a professional Slayer of countless npc's isnt a job?

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:13 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

quote:
Originally posted by Korplem
So a professional Slayer of countless npc's isnt a job?

I guess not
But you might consider proffecional alchoholic
Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:41 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I mean a job with regular income. Like a construction worker.

Post Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:02 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Hmm, I think it is very possible for that ... Carpenters, Wood cutters, Shop-holders, etc ... it will have this all, I guess.
Post Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:22 am
Robar the II
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Although carptentry ect might be a great idea you have to realize that most likely any housing system that will be included will probly be the renting or purchasing of already existing houses made by blizzard in the cities and while this leaves little room for housing 1000 people in a city it is certainly better then having 300 houses ruin a buitiful scenic landscape outside of the city.
Post Thu May 06, 2004 7:56 pm