QFG2 remake
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

QFG2 remake

I noticed today whilst reading Penny Arcade that Quest for Glory 2 is being remade with VGA: http://www.tierraentertainment.com/

This can only be good

Edit: King's Quest 1 & 2 have already been put into VGA and can be downloaded from there, along with updated sound packs
Post Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:59 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Oooo
Post Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:00 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thanks for the heads up. I was at a site recently that is making a fan made GFG6 (or 5.5 or something like that). If I can find it again I'll post a link.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:06 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Looks interesting. This was the first non-pure RPG I ever played.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:21 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Quest for Glory non-pure? Bite thine tongue, Corwin!

It had

- Skill based character advancement
- Advancement through use of skills rather than formulatic
- Multiple character selections and base careers
- Variable story lines (slightly)
- Puzzles!

In all ways, shapes, and forms it had what Morrowind claimed to innovate (including the same basic combat moves/engine!). Except it didn't bog it down with a bunch of races that don't matter and a bunch of equipment that didn't matter.

Kings Quest was a non-pure RPG (no leveling scheme, no character choice or customization)... the Quest for Glory series was a thing of purity that made, and still makes, a lot of other games weep in despair by comparison.

/soapbox

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:10 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Hear! Hear, Brother Xen!
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:37 pm
corwin

Read the box, it was an RPG/Adventure game; perhaps the first such hybrid. PURE, NO!! I still loved the entire series.

Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:45 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I've never seen the need for a split. People in RPGs are called Adventurers, and it didn't require that much arcade skill to be good in QFG combat (a little helped though, granted).

Now that is all RPGs that are worth noting. Gothic is an Action/RPG. So is Morrowind/Daggerfall. Newer gamers who rave about this phenomena combining action with roleplaying character development must be told... it's not new.

So ignore the box... QFQ was in a lot of ways everything a single player, single character CRPG should be about. Entertaining story, fun character development (I liked watching him sweep the stables every day), wonderfully rich NPCs, noticable character development (running from goblins to killing a Minotaur. Your hero has every right to say "Oh yeah!!! I'm BAAAAD!" (and he does after he does so))....

And it did it all without fancy, schmancy dialogue trees, 3D rendered pixelated water effects, or throwing 1000 monsters at you (though it certainly had more than it's fair share of monsters ).

If it had variable character models and a few more storylines involving said new models it would be nearing perfection.

/falls off soapbox

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:13 am
corwin

The stables was QGF1, not 2. Thinking of this reminds me of my other favourite adventure series, Monkey Island. My all time funniest scene was in that game, when you walked off a cliff, they brought up the Sierra QFG death screen which brought me to a screeching, shocked halt, then he bounced back up with a big grin on his face and the comment something to the effect of aren't you glad this isn't a Sierra game!!

Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:55 am
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

What I liked about the QFG series was the way in which skills were handled. It wasn't a simple case of levelling up then distributing your points where-ever, you simply became more proficient in what you used. It was in QFG1 that I found my love of all things thiefish
Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:03 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Yes, the stables were QFQ1 but they set a pace. QFG2 was great and not only because it let you transfer your super character (and upped the ante so you could play him and merely have an edge at first, not dominate) which breeds a sense of continuity. An entirely new setting, recurring vivid characters, new spells, weapons, and even a new class.

QFG3 then continued on with new mini-games, a new class, familiar characters from the second game, and a great story (more serious than the story in QFG1 or 2). QFG4... sadly, I couldn't complete it because of game crashes (my P233 was way too fast for it and it didn't like my 16 meg VooDoo3 card... I'm guessing it really wouldn't like my P3 1Ghz with 32 meg GF2, but you never know.). It was a departure with a new combat system, but that was good... the combat system of the first 3 games, while great, was getting old by then. New skills, new depth of characters....

QFG5 was wonderful. Everything got wrapped up into it. Everything. Loose ends from all 5 games were tied up and it truly had multiple endings, multiple stories... playing a thief was NOTHING like playing a fighter in QFG5. I found the new 3d-wannabe graphics a little on the chincy side (especially the glowing magical items) but it didn't detract overall. There was so much to see, so much to do... I wish I hadn't lost my copy. Including four possible romances with characters with a lot more history and depth to the series than anything BG2 could ever hope to accomplish.

I gladly battled through hell to save the soul of the one I had chosen.

Stellar series overall that definitely ended on a high note. Even the highest possible note if you chose!

Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:31 pm