The end of mmorgs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The end of mmorgs

Well I think I am quitting online games for a while at least.

This sector of the gaming industry is ridiculous. Games cost more than any other genre, yet they are often plagued with more bugs/ lack any content/ have crappier graphics, or are just a glorified chat room.

I can't remember the last traditional game I have played that didn't have a demo available, it is just the standard process. Many mmo's offer "free" trials, but virtually everyone requires a credit card number to access it. I have a credit card, but I'll be damned if I am going to toss it all over the internet and hope that I come out unharmed. I am very cautious about things like that, same way with virus protection and trojans. I don't get them because I am careful.

I am really angry with Dark ages of Camelot. I just dl'ed 2 gigs of data to find out they require a cc to play their trial. Nowhere on the site was any indication given that a cc was neccessary for the 14 day trial. How hard is it to say right below the dl link "trial requres cc to play" ( wow that took me 2 seconds to type and just saved me 2 gigs of bandwidth and an entire evening). This game looks good and has some postitive reviews, but I won't buy till I try because all computer software is too expensive. I imagine they lost me as a customer through that little trick.

With so many mmo's on the market (the vast, vast, vast majority of which are absolutely terrible) I simply won't burn my money on them without a free (no hassle credit card) trial. Trials don't have to be long, you can usually tell if you like a game fairly quickly.

They justify the requirement of the cc by saying it is used for age verification. I feel that this is complete BS. My neighbor's 7 yr old son could dl the demo for doom 3 and play it and that is significantly more violent than any mmo game.

I give my credit card to one site only... My university registration. I only use pre pay cards to play online games. I would love to try a number of mmo's right now, but I won't give my credit info. THEY DON'T NEED IT FOR A TRIAL, AND IT IS A LIE IF THEY SAY OTHERWISE.

Somehow this has become the acceptable industry standard (along with release unfinished games in almost every genre). Also I think the monthly fees have gotten a little insane. Pay $50 to buy the game then $15/month, or like $12/month if you buy a year subscription. Come on thats around $180/yr to play a desolate, empty, graphically outdated game.

Anyways hope you enjoyed my rant. I will now go back to waiting for G3 and Oblivion. These games may not have an online community that you can talk to while you play, but they have a hell of a lot more content and I can chat on msn messenger to get my communication fix fulfilled.

later, rordog
Post Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:35 pm