Gothic 2 English Version - First Impressions Thread
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Adanos Priest
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Diego

No more rumors about Diego please and his fate or something.For him and all the other guys like Milton,Wolf,Gorn,Lester or Xardas!Please,please play Gothic 2 through all guilds and all of Your Mind will be free,all Your questions will be answered.
For a little example,there are no teleport scrolls anywhere in the game,but....
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:25 am
pismeub
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

does anyone know what pending means??

please tell me!!!

=member of The RPGDot Shadows=
=member Gothic Novel Writers=
=member The Allience of middle Earth=

God, smite me, oh mighty smiter!!!
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:42 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

pending means waiting, the game is great but how could they do that to diego, they made him sound like a fag
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:57 am
FlipMoeJack
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I'm sorry

I'm kinda disappointed. The graphic engine...blows. Well that was cold, I'm sorry. But the game doesn't look that much visually different. When I first so that dragon verse our hero loading screen, I had my hopes up, and then they dropped smack on the ground like a suicidal maniac off the side of a bridge. It looks so bad. I can't stand it sometimes.

The animations are good for the most part, and I love the music.

The voice acting blows though. It sounds far too childish? Well I can't take it seriously, it doesn't "pull" me in. Maybe it the breaks between two speakers that makes me notice it.

The textures aren't that great, and the model doesn't look that great either. I was hoping for a far bigger improvement from the last game. Well this one doesn't seem as buggy, if buggy at all (I did get stuck on top of the water when trying to jump into a deep part of it. The first pond you see in the game, by the waterfall. Twas weird.)

Atleast I can say, that the story is very interesting.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:53 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

#What's good about Gothic 2.

Overall, the game is very good at several things. Most significantly for three aspects:

First, it is still the only CRPG that provides the most realitic NPCs daily routines; which in turn, provides a powerfull immersion factor.

Second, clearly above average questing system - with nice variety of quests, quests that are always rewarding enough, noticeably effecting people around you and at a same time, moving the story/plot forward. The whole system executed effectively i think, except maybe few minor bumps.

Third, while least significant as the first & second but still commendable, is the spells/weapons/potions crafting and making system. I do like to see more extensive weapons crafting setup, however.

------------------------------------------------

#Critism of G2/suggestions for G3.

1) There is something weird about weaponry/armors in G2.

- First, some people already asked - where's the shield?
- At least allow certain degree of armor customization for player, not always come in whole set.
- Need more types of weapon, or exotic weapons = the deadly flail?, the brutal sledgehammer?, the cruel Spear of Impaling? .

2) More combat moves & combat decisions.

- Although combat in Gothic 2 is generally better than several other CRPGs, i still like to see more improvements, such as one implemented in Blade of Darkness (Severance).
- Adding hand-to-hand combat moves for monk/magician? (for Gothic 3)
- If in G3 we can use shields, should include wooden or steel shields, small round shield or tower shield, and make it breakable/unusable so that we only use them at appropriate time - to avoid the player always hiding behind shield when enemies attacking. This will adding more combat considerations to the game. I think combat in Gothic 1 & 2 are overly depending on timing.

3) Fully functional First person viewpoint.

- Adding first person camera position during combat. Currently during combat the game force you to third person view - this can twist the camera to awkward position in small & tight space, or you character blocking the views in front - like inside tombs, caves or dungeons. I don't want to see my in-game character's butts while he get pummeled by monsters. Since the combat in G2 heavily dependent to timing, combat become very difficult if the camera start getting bouncy or blocked, and you can't gauge the timing to attack or blocking properly. Only adding fully functional first person view can completely solve this camera problem.

4) Voices acting

- Overall good enough, but with some oversights. In few cases, what NPCs said somehow different from the subtitles. And in some other cases the NPCs voices acting sound bad. I guess partly the quality lost due to localization.

5) Music

- Soundtrack/background music O.K, nothing spectacular. After Arx Fatalis, i rather hope Gothic 2 focus more on ambient sounds than background music, which sooner or later likely to sound repetitive anyway. The ambient sounds still not realistic and strong enough for me. I want hear the howling of wovles during the night or far away forest, the hooting of an owls, the strange noises in deep forest, etc. The ambient sounds in the forest where Circle of Sun located is pretty good though.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:18 pm
Ricky
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yo guys and the girls of course (Better not forget em ) !!! I have played Gothic for 3 days when i finally completed as Paladin ... The Paladins spells are awesome and made me almost invinsible ... neither Orc nor Lizardman could touch me !!! I recon that some of ya have problems 'bout the voices of the old gboys form Gothic ... I can tell ya s much that Hero, Lester, Gorn, Lee, Xardas, Milten and Torlofs voices are the same !!! Im also sure that Lares and Diego have changed their voice ... Im a little uncertain 'bout Cipher and Buster thou since ya dont talk much to em in Gothic.

Some of ya talks 'bout bad controls in Gothic ... I've changed the buttons i were able to in Gothic so for me the settings are almost the same ... but with a few changed which only makes it better.

Then theres the fighting that makes the game better ... I like that ya cant block beasts attack and that they cant block yours and that trolls aint as weak as in Gothic. I like the Block mecanisme as well ... In Gothic ya were almost invinsible even if the enemy stood behind ya ... And the new blocking makes it easier for me to block and then make a perfect counter attack on etc skeletons with 2hander !!!

The graphic and sound is MUCH better as well in Gothic 2 because of the plants and the birds the wisle of the wind and so on ... Ya'll experience that yaself !!!

1 thing I REALLY like is the Valley of Mines ... I dont think i ever seen anything alike ... This wasteland filled with corruption and death is just perfect !!!

Golems and trolls have been improved and thats good ... In Gothic the trolls were too easy as i mentioned earlier ... I even managed to kill a troll as Shadow once with a 1hander and that is not quite easy to do as a Militia in Gothic 2 !!! The golems have now better magics and can be destroyed with all kinds of Closecombat weapons plus stone and firegolem have this ability to throw ya a long distance !!! That makes the firegolem on the mountain to the Firedragon kinda tricky ... also the stonegolem at the mountainfort !!!

I dont think i missed something ... !!! Oh yeah ... i like the way of the AI's responding to other AI's !!! This ya can experience yaself or i'll tell ya too much 'bout some of the funny parts in the game !!!
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:38 pm
Dysguised22
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Golems and trolls have been improved and thats good ... In Gothic the trolls were too easy as i mentioned earlier ... I even managed to kill a troll as Shadow once with a 1hander and that is not quite easy to do as a Militia in Gothic 2 !!! The golems have now better magics and can be destroyed with all kinds of Closecombat weapons plus stone and firegolem have this ability to throw ya a long distance !!! That makes the firegolem on the mountain to the Firedragon kinda tricky ... also the stonegolem at the mountainfort !!!

...Dude...for those of us who don't have the game yet...please try not to mention anything about locations of certain monsters and new monsters in the game. ...i.e. "firegolem on the mountain to the fire dragon". did u think we all knew that already? ...that's a big HELL NO

--Dys--
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:15 am
Z-MAN
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi,

I'am from Germany and Diego was in the barrier because he is a thief
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:37 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

no shjit sherlok yup u are right he was a thief
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:57 pm
bosh
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Overall I think the game is average.

Graphics are great, but only if you can set the view distance above 60%, I have a 1Gig PIII, is it too much to ask for a decent view.

Sound effects are good, voices are just crap, baddly acted and American, which is out of place.

The scripts are below average.

Gameplay is good if you are not bothered by being killed too many times by things that are too hard for you - until you go up levels. It's realistic I suppose but what happened to gameplay?

Atmosphere is great.

But basically low frame rates, bad acting, boring exploration spoiled it for me.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:13 pm
JOTAS
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gothic 2 good game,good value for money,completed game , few bug now and then. who cares about voices. it is the game play that counts,
when it comes to value, how much does it cost to see film in cinema.
we can all pick faults.enjoying the game that counts, which i did
Post Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:33 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehehe why u ppl allways talk that the voice acting is crap u see Gothic 2 age is very olddd ppl dosent talk there like they need to talk today or something u can accept it like an old world where still the voices werent that great
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:42 pm
Lord Thale
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

When was the game released?

Its not suppused to be in the stores in the US for another two weeks. How did all of you get the game?
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:03 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

We have the UK Version.

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
hehehe why u ppl allways talk that the voice acting is crap u see Gothic 2 age is very olddd ppl dosent talk there like they need to talk today or something u can accept it like an old world where still the voices werent that great

Damn Daedalus,

No offense, but don't you ever take a breath when you talk?
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:02 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

nope i sure aint taking it
Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:52 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next