Usergroups
Richard Garriott Interview @ GameBanshee
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
.Twinfalls

quote:
Originally posted by 10Ktrolls
For me the problem isn't really so much about the fact that Garriott talks about the old single player rpgs that he once made - after all he was asked about them. What strikes me is that he too (like Spector) seems to have become a true businessman.

Spector isn't that bad, at all. Read his interviews of late, he is still very much dedicated to single player games, and very much a dissident who speaks out against the way the industry has gone.

Yes, IW was a travesty, but I really think we should wait until we see what comes from his Junction Point Studio before we pass judgment on Spector.
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:03 am

THX1138
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Heh! Do I dare enter my 2 cents?

I like Garriott, but I agree, the interviews of late are all telling the same tale. His glory days.
Although, I think Garriott has probably had some of the best.
Making such great games in that era of the industry must have been pretty cool.
There ARE some interviews with Garriott that are basically not game related at all. I was doing a search for what he was doing with TR and came across an article about his expeditions to the Titanic, and some other achievements. I would LOVE to take a sub down and see something like that. I imagine a "gamer" would read that and then say "WTF!! What about yer new games?!"
So who knows WHAT to say.

Garriott has my respect as a developer, and I will always be interested in what he's got going on there. I also happen to think he's got to be a rather interesting person to strike up a conversation with. Glory days or not.

Spector has had a hand in most of my all time favorites, Thief, UU1-2, DeusEx. I respect him as well.

So the point, I guess, is, these guys have made most of our gaming experiences MUCH better. They are pioneers, in my opinion, and they can ramble on about whatever they want.

Give the guys a hand!!
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:47 am
10Ktrolls
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by .Twinfalls

Spector isn't that bad, at all. Read his interviews of late, he is still very much dedicated to single player games, and very much a dissident who speaks out against the way the industry has gone.

Yes, IW was a travesty, but I really think we should wait until we see what comes from his Junction Point Studio before we pass judgment on Spector.

I'm sorry (and I mean it) that I have do disagree.

quote:
Originally posted by Warren Spector

We have to find ways to go direct to consumers. We have to tap into that $10 or $15 a month MMOG players get charged and forget about long after they've lost interest in the game.

The above statement says it all. This guy is living in an illusionary world of his own. Ever since the DE2 disaster he has lost contact with reality. He obviously does not seem to understand that if you want to make money with ANY game, the game has to be of good or superior quality. That concerns mmos and single player games alike. Oblivion is the best example that single player games DO sell if they are good (I'm not a strong supporter of the whole Elder Scroll stuff, but anyway a lot of people seem to like the game) and there are quite a few examples around that mmos DO NOT sell if they are crap.
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:09 am
.Twinfalls

I think you are misreading what he said. He simply said that single player games makers need to sell to people who spend a cumulatively large amount of money on MMOs, and who then forget afterwards about the game experience. I think he's talking about episodic content here, but you'd need the context of the full interview.

I do not see how that comment is him suggesting that quality be compromised. In, fact, it seems the opposite, given that he wants people to remember the gaming they spent 15 dollars every month on, not forget it.
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:16 pm

10Ktrolls
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by .Twinfalls
I think you are misreading what he said. He simply said that single player games makers need to sell to people who spend a cumulatively large amount of money on MMOs, and who then forget afterwards about the game experience. I think he's talking about episodic content here, but you'd need the context of the full interview.

I do not see how that comment is him suggesting that quality be compromised. In, fact, it seems the opposite, given that he wants people to remember the gaming they spent 15 dollars every month on, not forget it.

I'm pretty sure I haven't misread his statement. You can find the whole article in the latest issue of "the escapist" (issue 38) in which Spector makes clear what he wants: MMO style billing and distribution for non-MMOs. He wants players' credit card numbers as he says himself... Well, most likely that means episodic content or at least something similar. Don't get me wrong that guy can have my credit card number anytime IF he delivers a great game. The problem is that Spector seems to be totally without self-criticism. If you read through his latest interviews it's always the player or the market in general or whatever that makes it impossible to earn money with single player games at the moment... I don't like that kind of attitude. Make a good game, advertise and support it properly and it will sell (no matter if mmo or single player game). Make games like DE 2 and Thief 3 and they won't sell...
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:04 pm
Lucky Day

The man made six figures a year when he was 18. His biggest problem in his adult life has been boredom between developing games. The agreement he had when leaving EA put him into semiretirement for a year. When you'r rich that young its odd to be called a sell out.

For all you people that don't like "sell outs" go win the lottery and return it to the Government, then tell me how you're going to pay your next mortgage or feed your kids.

/end rant

quote:

I believe this intense 'labor of love' is why Ultima IV through Ultima VII were the hallmark of the series.

many people believe that Ultima 3 belongs in that category as well. Indeed, there seems to be a division amongst Ultima fans who played the games when they were first released compared to those who were too young to play them at the time.
Personally, I didn't have a computer that could run Ultima 6 or 7 when they were first released. Or even the UU's. They required hardware that wasn't common and very expensive back then. Even something now as lowly as a hard drive. The games already seemed dated when I finally got them going in 1997.

When U3 was released the only game that came close to comparison was Wizardry. The two games dominated the Computer gaming market because or their quality. Stable, static dungeons were a brand new thing. Most DnD like games used random dungeons. The slickness of the games had not been seen before.

It brought an overland system that you just didn't see in PnP even and, along with Wizardry, it was one of the first to offer multiple characters. U3 also had the option of playing its great music and was key in sales of the Mockingboard soundcard for the Apple ][.

In short these two games were the closest thing to PnP on computer that anyone had ever seen and were the first big games to get people on microcomputers out of action games.

If the Mythology in U4 was different we certainly didn't see it that way. We thought the transition was understandable. It was certainly less radical from Ultima 2.

Recurring characters always kept us anchored such as Dupre, Chuckles and Smith the Horse as well as place names such as Britania.

--

Although not popular with SP RPG's he has to be given credit with that first big, big MMORPG. UO was largely his push and even EA fought him over it. His original plan if you remember was not to have a monthly charge but they realized costs couldn't merit it. We were overdue for a decent Ultima and UO came along.

Of course I quit after two months.

--

I like the comment that maybe Garriot got tired of Ultima. It may have started with U8. He certainly didn't like the "blow up" system that he virtually pioneered. U9 and its seemless transitions even up and down is testimony to that.

It would explain so much focus the company had on Wing Commander instead (anyone see the movie?). That and the oodles of cash it brought in over anything else.

--

Garriot is always relevant as long as he's making stuff. The fact that so much of his success is in the past isn't important considering the influence he's had.
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:30 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2