Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Which one will push the MMRPG boundaries?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Which one will push the MMRPG boundaries?
World of Warcraft
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Horizons
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Middle Earth
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Everquest 2
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Dragon Empires
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Darkfall
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
City of Heroes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wish
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ultima X
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Dangeon & Dragons
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Warhammer Online
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Ryzom
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Lineage 2
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Dark and Light
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Neocron
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mythica
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Ages of Athiria
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Populopolis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Atriarch
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pirates of the Burning Sea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author Thread
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yeap, forgot about Realms of Torment. Unfortunatly it wont let me change the poll list .

Although its very dificult to talk about this games, mainly because they are changing as we speek, there are very good points here and solid arguments.

Keep it going, the main purpose of this thread is to concentrate our expectations about the upcoming mmrpgs.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:02 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Also forgot about Trials of Ascension, although that game might not make it past vaporware. I sincerely hope ToA makes it to release. I will be disappointed if it doesnt.

Yes Ekim, look at Darkfall. Its the best game ive read about so far. However, due to SWG, im not getting overly excited. Im just biding my time waiting, playing a host of other games until Darkfall cometh.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:36 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

BTW, Darkfall is going to feature 10,000 people on one server. And the worldmap is so big, that in less known places, you arent going to see anyone for days unless you go back to civilization. Its gonna be amazing.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:37 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
However, due to SWG, im not getting overly excited. Im just biding my time waiting, playing a host of other games until Darkfall cometh.

Well, there's always some positive that comes out of every disapointment at least!

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
BTW, Darkfall is going to feature 10,000 people on one server. And the worldmap is so big, that in less known places, you arent going to see anyone for days unless you go back to civilization. Its gonna be amazing.

Well, AO once promised servers with 30k people together at once... I have yet to see it come true. That's not a feature, that's marketing hype. Why would I want to be alone for days anyway?
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:57 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

No, its a feature. They built the server architecture so that they really are going to have 10,000 simultaneous players per server. Thats what they said at the recent dev chat session.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:36 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

Just curious as to what boundaries in MMORPGs people want to see pushed more? There are so many games out that all tackle different styles of gaming (ie more action, more strategy, immersive RPGs, trades, etc.). I'm sort of interested in seeing more sophisticated AI in NPCs and maybe more interactive environments.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:36 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by RedTiger
Just curious as to what boundaries in MMORPGs people want to see pushed more?

That's a pretty good question! And the answer will probably be different for everyone. For some it seems that accepting 10000 players on a single server is a breakthrough, to me it isn't. Who's to say I'm not wrong about it? I myself, a little like you, would like to see more interactive environments. NPCs could completely disappear for all I care. I would like MMORPGs to let players truly shape how the game evolves by letting them create quests, and drive the economy.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:58 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

In an ideal MMORPG I'd like to see NPC's disappear as well. I'm not a huge PvP person, because my experience hasn't been much fun, but I think it would be much more in the the spirit of role playing to allow people to play monsters or other types of antagonists within the game.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:06 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

That is quite a good idea actually. Having it so that PC's cant attack PC's but PM's (Player Monsters) can. The PM's would be a lot weaker than the players generally, encouraging them to work as a team.

Also they would be restricted to a certain range from where they spawned so that they can't amass huge armies and destroy the whole world. When they died they could spawn wherever they wanted.

Obviously that would need a lot of work and playtesting to balance it, but it does sound like the beginnings of an interesting idea. I sure would like to try playing a monster for once.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:10 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

You know, I like the idea too! They could even make it so that if you decide to play a monster the game could play much more like an action game than an RPG, which would cater to multiple groups of people. You just died? No problem, create a new monster and wreak havoc on the countryside. As you'd amass more player kills, you could open up new monster choices, which would be more powerful and with whom you could go after higher level players. Amass a particularily lengendary kill number and you might even be able to control a dragon or something pretty powerful (limited to certain regions, or something that would keep it under certain control...).

This has tremendous possibilities! I like it!
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:12 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

I'm surprised that nobody's done this yet really. The ideas you've mentioned for how to approach it sound like great outlines for how it could work. It could open up some races to play and make the dynamics of playing against other people alot more interesting. I know I'd be more into playing against someone who's a monster rather than some griefer. I like the idea that if your normal character dies you could choose to comeback as a some kind of undead.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:29 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I was in a halloween event in Ultima Online long ago where you could go somewhere and choose to turn into a monster and then go attack people as a lich lord or troll or whatnot. It was a lot of fun, but it leads to the same problems people have with PvP. Even monsters can grief if they are conrtolled by other players.

-vaticide
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:28 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Yes they can, which is exactly why I proposed the limitations I did. If you go to an area where there are litch lords then its your own fault if you die. Its just the same as if it was a computer controlled creature.

We are not saying let the Player be any creature they want and let them go anywhere they want.

The areas would be limited, so if a player wants to be a powerful monster, then they would have to spawn in an appropriate area.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:46 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah, but griefing seems like the natural order for monsters. If there's a general rule system in place for playing as a monster then some of those issues wouldn't be as important. For example if you play as a monster then let's say your goals are to loot /steal or kill other players, but by the same token, the other players goals or quest may include killing or capturing you. seems like lots of possibilities could come out of it. BTW playing a lich lord sounds awesome!
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:49 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
You know, I like the idea too! They could even make it so that if you decide to play a monster the game could play much more like an action game than an RPG, which would cater to multiple groups of people. You just died? No problem, create a new monster and wreak havoc on the countryside. As you'd amass more player kills, you could open up new monster choices, which would be more powerful and with whom you could go after higher level players. Amass a particularily lengendary kill number and you might even be able to control a dragon or something pretty powerful (limited to certain regions, or something that would keep it under certain control...). This has tremendous possibilities! I like it!

Dude! Thats some good stuff! I wanna be the monsters, that would be great!

Jake -- "woah i think a dragon just zoomed by overhead"
Fred -- "nah, thats just ammon trying out the new flight skills"
Jake -- "will he attack us?"
Fred -- "prolly"
Jake -- "inc"
Fred -- "RUN !!!"

lol that would be classic

EDIT -- oooh i wanna be a zombie! that would be funny...

Jake -- "zombie alert"
Zombie -- "brains... me need brraaaiinnssss"
Fred -- "umm did it just say..."
Zombie -- "brainsss"
Jake -- "dude that guys funny"
Zombie -- "need cerebral lobes! cerebralssss!"
Fred -- "INC"
Jake -- "RUN !!!"
Post Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:51 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next