Seal of Evil hits US
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Seal of Evil hits US

It looks like 'Seal of Evil' might have finally hit the US with our reader Smorri noticing it seems to be available at <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832146001" target="_blank">Newegg</a>, and a quick search reveals similar results at other online stores. <br> <br>You can check out our review <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10077&newsid=35413" target="_blank">here</a> from 14 months if you are interested.
Post Wed May 17, 2006 12:04 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Yep - I just noticed that it is now available at my local EBGames/GameStop - you can check yours here

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Wed May 17, 2006 12:05 pm
Smorri
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I asked at the Strategy First forums and they said their release of the game will have the option to use the original Chinese language with English subtitles. I hope this is true. SoE won't be for everyone, Asian themed games always tend to alienate western gamers. Personally, I put Prince of Qin in my all time Top 3 favorite RPGs (w/ Darklands and Eye of the Beholder 1).

Smorri Nosebiter
( Currently Drunk in Fate of the Dragon, Gothic 1 and Fable(1996))
Post Wed May 17, 2006 4:57 pm
Lucky Day

I only played the demo for Prince of Qin and it didn't have much to offer.

Seal of Evil is terrific. The voice acting of the main character is the pits but the other female in the party is great. The translations are pretty good for a Chinese game but the occaisional colloquialism missed. ie. she says "Fake Doctor" instead of "Quack".

The game is linear and slightly consolish.

There's plenty of backstory, however, and the most surprising scenes are when you go back in time 15 years and get to play it out. Naturally, the consequences are already decided or you'd be playing a different game entirely when you resume the current time line. Is a lot of fun when that happens.

The best part of the game is the crafting. It is straightforward and a blast. You can become obsessed seeign what differnt combinations of the 5 elements you can come up with and just what they will do, including secret effects.

There are no comprehensive recipes I've seen yet though so you'll have to make your own notes.
Post Wed May 17, 2006 6:09 pm

Smorri
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just got back from buying SoE. The box says you have the option to play in the original Mandarin with English subtitles.

At first I too was not impressed by Prince of Qin. But after I got pass the first area, I really started getting into the story. Its also the only game I've ever enjoyed crafting in due to the randomness of the ingredients. When ever I spotted harvestable wood, ore, etc. I ran to it, chopped/mined it and checked right away at its bonuses... It was kind of like some addicting ingame crafting lotto!

I also loved the music. I would consider Object's game music as some of the best I've heard.

The voice acting in PoQ was bad. But in a Seventies dubbed Kung Fu movie way, that cheesiness added to the fun. I'm hoping SoE's Mandarin will further increase the emersion.

I realize most people don't like PoQ. But it remains one of my favorites.

Smorri Nosebiter
( Currently Drunk in Fate of the Dragon, Gothic 1 and Fable(1996))
Post Wed May 17, 2006 10:10 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I don't recall the game ever getting tedious or boring as the 'guest' poster implied!! I found it got more challenging as you progressed. The linearity, pre-made characters and apalling voice acting didn't impress me, but the game itself was well crafted. As I recall saying in my review, it's not for everyone, but if you enjoy that style of RPG it's worth getting.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed May 17, 2006 11:04 pm