A little disappointment for Kotor
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

A little disappointment for Kotor

I have found the game too adventurous type. Combats are too less i think. All the magazines I have red said it has a very nice plot. But, i have found the story too cliche for a RPG. Dungeons are so small and full of cliches. For ex, the ruins that contains Star Map on Dantooine. Droid has said i must pass the test to reveal the secret behind the ruins. But, all i get for a great challenge was some stupid droid and childish questions. And when you found the star map, same cliche (find the missing parts of the map to locate Star Forge) And, this gives the developers the excuse to place four planets to the game. The dungeon that holds crystals for my lightsaber is also too easy. I missed the challenging battles of Baldur's Gate when i have played this level.
You can not compare the game like Gothic 1 and 2. Gothic series are much too better from KOTOR. It resembles much like Planescape Torment than Gothic.I think the tile based system that Kotor is using ruins everything.
Bioware can create great game systems like Infinity and Aura Engine. But that doesn't mean they can create good stories for them. I think it's a good choice to give the development of KOTOR 2 and NWN2 to Obsidian. Old Black Isle team can create better stories for these games than Bioware i assume.
Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:28 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You are aware that there is a difficulty setting, right?

How far into the game are you? Things get more interesting, IMO, after Dantooine.
Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:53 pm
KrueLLa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm going to install the game now!
Latter...I'll come back here!
[]'s
Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:17 am
sushimees
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gothic's story is too linear, because you basically know, what you gotta do in the game. KOTOR on the other hand had much spectacular story, not to mention to listen to the other characters story, like take Carth, I never would've tought that Carth is so much involved in this whole business.

Also KOTOR and Gothic are totally different games, yeah both are RPG's, but the gameplay, the plot and everything else is different so don't come to tell that Gothic is so much better. Don't try to leave Gothic's "very annoying" bugs out even.

You say stupid questions? Well, Gothic was only all about running around back and forth, which was totally irritating and making you wanna take a pause and play some other game. Also the annoying thing was that you just had to beat up the enemies to get to that point becuase if you didn't the enemies, were too strong. Also anhoter thing, why fighting wasn't such a good thing, was because the battle controls weren't good at all and the moves were too plain.

Kotor on the other hand had such a sweet fighting, every different skill made different moves, which was totally cool I think and sometimes I even loved just to fight against the enemy not wanting him to die.

Let's talk about the engine of the game Yes this is my favorite part. The engine just pwnz! The loading times were so short, the game ran on my old PC like a charm with 1024x768 resolution and even with lower graphic, the game was an eyecandy.

Val also has a good point, after Dantooine, everything gets very exciting and the mini-quests are pure fun I think.
M essages
Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:19 pm
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I'm just at the end of Dantoine world, already. I hope story will become more exciting after that I have not seen so much exciting things in the story so far. A good story can make suprises for me. Like Arcanum or Planescape.
I think combat is very important inRPG games, because all the experience we have been gathering, all the levels, traits, skills, etc we have been gaining for to kick some monster or villain butt. There isso little RPGs that do not obey this tradition.
Also, i just have found the conversations toomany. But, much combat can be boring, too like Sacred or Diablo. IMO, there must be a balance between combat and conversations.
Finally, IMO, Gothic 2 is far better than KotOR. Because, Gothic gives you the feeling that you're playing in a real and living world. Most RPGs can not give this feeling (except Baldur's Gate series)
Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:53 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by sushimees
pwnz!

Oh dear...
Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:10 pm
sushimees
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Lol @ Chekote . Also Gok, I suggest you take force persuade because later on, basically every conversation will have some persuade things in and if you got force persuade then you can use it to talk people out of it. It's actually quite fun to argue with people and persuade them.
M essages
Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:30 am
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanx for the advice Sushimees. I'll use it.
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:27 pm
KrueLLa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Kotor remember me: Anachronox...same kind of combats...the gameplay it's litle hard for use. I was waiting much more...btw I'm in the begining of the game.

Sorry my "broken " English !
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:27 am
sushimees
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Also, if you finish the game and wanna play again the I suggest you get golowan plugin 2 from www.pcgamemods.com it's really a cool, mod you can have pazaak games, where the wager is unlimited, new cool armors, like Boba Fett's armor, your ebon hawk gets bigger with, some new NPC's and you can get Darth Revan's star forge robe at the end of Datooine, but the robe is meant for the light side only since the robes colors look different.

Anyways, some characters faces have been a bit modified too.
M essages
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:08 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think you cant compare Gothic and KOTOR very well, KOTOR is more like Baldurs Gate, with a party and such. but Baldurs Gate had much better battles and a real story instead of "go to every planet and get artifacts"
the dialogues (fully spoken) and graphics are the only real strong points in KOTOR i think, the rest is just standard stuff
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:19 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

quote:
Originally posted by KrueLLa
Kotor remember me: Anachronox...same kind of combats...the gameplay it's litle hard for use. I was waiting much more...btw I'm in the begining of the game.

Sorry my "broken " English !

The game engine, including combat, is the same engine that powers Neverwinter Nights. I suppose if you haven't played Neverwinter Nights it might come across as hard to use.

Until you get used to things remember to hit space bar a lot. It pauses the game and lets you select what you want to do with each character.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:49 pm
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I'm at the end of Dantooine now, my thoughts have not changed much since the last time. I'm agree with that it is a standart RPG no less or no more. For ex, according to the NPCs there is a vast desert out there. But, i can not sense the feeling that i'm in a desert. Kotor just can not give me the epic feeling. I think Kotor is exaggerated by Star Wars fans. Because, it's a very standart RPG.
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:27 pm
KrueLLa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank's for the tips, EverythingXen
[]'s
Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:03 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

quote:
Originally posted by sushimees
Gothic's story is too linear, because you basically know, what you gotta do in the game. KOTOR on the other hand had much spectacular story, not to mention to listen to the other characters story, like take Carth, I never would've tought that Carth is so much involved in this whole business.

Also KOTOR and Gothic are totally different games, yeah both are RPG's, but the gameplay, the plot and everything else is different so don't come to tell that Gothic is so much better. Don't try to leave Gothic's "very annoying" bugs out even.

You say stupid questions? Well, Gothic was only all about running around back and forth, which was totally irritating and making you wanna take a pause and play some other game. Also the annoying thing was that you just had to beat up the enemies to get to that point becuase if you didn't the enemies, were too strong. Also anhoter thing, why fighting wasn't such a good thing, was because the battle controls weren't good at all and the moves were too plain.

Kotor on the other hand had such a sweet fighting, every different skill made different moves, which was totally cool I think and sometimes I even loved just to fight against the enemy not wanting him to die.

Let's talk about the engine of the game Yes this is my favorite part. The engine just pwnz! The loading times were so short, the game ran on my old PC like a charm with 1024x768 resolution and even with lower graphic, the game was an eyecandy.

Val also has a good point, after Dantooine, everything gets very exciting and the mini-quests are pure fun I think.

This post is a flame post for me and also kind of a challenge. For me KotOR was the linear type of game. After I played it once it had absolutely no replayability, cause all the things you can choose have no effect on building a character. You can waite till the 'one before the final' fight to choose between dark or light. In gothic I saw many more ways to finish the game and only the end was the same.
Btw about the controls, that's just some bull**** none experienced players talk about. I don't know you, but to me you sound like you have just taken over the text of one of the bad reviewers. The controls are just sth you need to get used to. Just like any other game is, cause when I played WC5, I had the same problem. The only difference is that nobody complained about that and just got used to the controls. KotOR's fighting was turn based and can still be improved quite a lot I think. I hope to see that in KotOR2.
About the running back and forth -> that's for both the games. The only difference is that you can't, even when you want to, go back to some planets just to explore new things. The thing I liked the most about gothic compared to KotOR was that in gothic, 'I' had a voice. That sth important for me, but I think it was either they had to do this, but make it impossible to change the appearance of you character. (a female with a male voice ) So I respect their choice.

It's true that after Dantooine things get better and more interesting. Still IMO it doesn't brought me in the same mood as gothic once did.

About the SW fan thing GokYabguHan mentioned: that's not true, cause I'm one. It's just like any other game: you've got pro's, neutrals and contra's.
NFG member
Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:40 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next