French version
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
eric33
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

French version

Does anybody know if G2 will be distributed in france (G1 was not) ?

if yes :
when ?
will it be a localized version or not ?

Thanks
Post Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:20 pm
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

sadly...

On the jowood site, you can see a release date for france. So it seems the french market is taken into account this time.

But for the localized version, I think we'll have to wait for Gothic III ( or maybe a console port of the first two chapters ? ) : remember System shock 2 : it hasn't been translated in french even if the publisher was Electronic Arts.
And in term of financial weight, Jowood is not E.A. !!

It was very sad not to see Gothic I in french stores... And I'm not speaking about the problem french people have with foreign languages....
Post Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:03 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

The game will, as far as I know, be released in English and German(the German version is already released), and the reason is simple: the creators of Gothic, Piranha Bytes, are German, so a French version would be kinda hard for them to make..
Post Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:54 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Gothic 1 was sold in many different languages. Localisation is the publisherīs business, not the developerīs. I wouldnīt be surprised to see French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Korean and even more translations.
Of course this says nothing about the quality of the translations. It can mean subtitles or full translation, from 2 to many voice actors, etc.
Post Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:17 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Then why not French which is the the #3 most spoken language in the world(as first, or secondary language)?
Post Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:54 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
Then why not French which is the the #3 most spoken language in the world(as first, or secondary language)?

Er... no it isn't. It's around the 10th or so most spoken language.
Post Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:48 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

No, not as 1st or secondary language. You have to remember that most of Africa speaks French.

If you count both 1st and 2nd languages, it's like this:
#1. English
#2. Spanish(South/Middle-America you know)
#3. French(Africa)
#4. German

At least, this is what I was taught in school, but that was some years ago.
Post Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:18 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

And you should remember that there are more Chinese speaking Chinese (Mandarin) then anything else. About 900 million people in fact.
Africa is not as well populated as you'd think.
Chinese (Mandarin) is the most spoken language.
English is second.
Third would be Hindi (There's a LOT of people in India and the surrounding countries. In fact, Hindi is spoken in some parts of Africa.).
Next would probably be Spanish.
After that, I'd say it's a toss up between Bengali or Arabic.
Then there's Portuguese, Russian and Japanese.

German and French are lucky to be anywhere near the top ten.
Post Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:12 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Here's one list, from Ethnologue (a source I'd trust):

1. Chinese (Mandarin) 1,075,000,000
2. English 514,000,000
3. Hindustani 496,000,000
4. Spanish 425,000,000
5. Russian 275,000,000
6. Arabic 256,000,000
7. Bengali 215,000,000
8. Portuguese 194,000,000
9. Malay-Indonesian 176,000,000
10. French 129,000,000

I'd take all such figures with a grain of salt, though. Nobody really knows how many fluent or even competent speakers most languages have. Figures like these will often represent the populations of countries where the named language is one of the official languages, but whether those populations actually speak the official language depends on the goals, extent and effectiveness of the education system. For instance, how many Indonesians really speak their national language in addition to their local language? Unknown.

Anyway, though, it supports Val's point that even though France was an imperial power, it wasn't the world's most effective

Getting back on topic, for a games publisher to figure out what languages to localize in you'd have to cross-reference this list with figures on the computer-gaming population of various countries... no doubt French would move right back up a list like that!

Edit: By the way, after posting this I did a little more looking and found a lot more lists, no two matching exactly. I'll just note that German, Japanese, Javanese and Punjabi are also contenders for Top 10 status. The following list purports to include primary + secondary language speakers, exactly the figure that Maylander was interested in:

Mandarin Chinese (1.12 billion)
English (480 million)
Spanish (320 million)
Russian (285 million)
French (265 million)
Hindi/Urdu (250 million)
Arabic (221 million)
Portuguese (188 million)
Bengali (185 million)
Japanese (133 million)
German (109 million)
Post Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:20 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't trust this list, and that is based on the fact that India's population has reached 1 billion, but according to this list, only 1/4(250millions) speak their language? What do the rest speak?

The secondary language in India is, as far as I know, English, so you can add 1 billion English speaking people to your list, making it the #1 language in the world..

Sorry, but I don't trust it; I'm sure it's correct, but I don't know what's actually on that list(it might be a list over people who really know the language, and not just what's the "official languages" of the different countries, or something similar.. )

Edit: I noticed an interesting thing while doing some research here, the Chinese population is nearly 1.3 billions! Seems like yesterday they announced "The first nation to reach 1 billion".. 1.27 bill is most up-to-date number I've seen(some "old" pages say 1.2 and so on).
Post Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:30 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

From IndiaNetLines about languages in India:

"English enjoys associate status but is the most important language for national, political, and commercial communication,
Hindi the national language and primary tongue of 30% of the people,
Bengali (official),
Telugu (official),
Marathi (official),
Tamil (official),
Urdu (official),
Gujarati (official),
Malayalam (official),
Kannada (official),
Oriya (official),
Punjabi (official),
Assamese (official),
Kashmiri (official),
Sindhi (official),
Sanskrit (official),
Hindustani a popular variant of Hindu/Urdu, is spoken widely throughout northern India

note : 24 languages each spoken by a million or more persons; numerous other languages and dialects, for the most part mutually unintelligible"

This should answer your question about which language(s) the other folks are speaking.
And we'll see if there'll be a French version of Gothic II.
Post Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:14 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Still, 30% out of 1 billion is 300 millions, and that's 2 places up, and that is only what they speak as primary language..
Post Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:23 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I have a suggestion to make: let's just forget about the whole discussion; there is no way to get a correct answer(other than ask over 6 billion people), and the point has already been stated(French, German and English are the 3 languages which are most spoken in the "computerworld").
Post Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:56 pm
$loth
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I would have to say that there is a heck of a lot more korean in the gaming world my friend... just try a blizzard game online.
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:24 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, they're really into strategy games, and even though I don't have the slighest clue as to how many inhabitans Korea(N & S) has, I still don't think it's more than Germany, Austria and Switzerland(German-speaking countries), or England(Europe + US).. perhaps more than France though, I don't know..
Post Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:17 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next