Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Delay Rumours @ Players4Players
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Delay Rumours @ Players4Players

I've posted this purely because other sites have taken this up and it will obviously travel the web - but file it under "completely unsubstantiated rubbish". A Spanish site called Players4Players is <a href="http://www.players4players.com/noticias/noticia.php?id=20231" target="_blank">claiming</a> confidential sources informed them Oblivion has been completed for two months and was only delayed because the final Xbox360 dev kits revealed more power than Bethesda had previously thought, so they decided to take advantage of that and improve the graphics further. Again, this is contrary to Bethesda's comments and completely unsubstantiated.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:42 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I agree bogus, I have seen previews of sites that played at least some demo versions back around last E3.
So if it was working (they said still slow downs in areas on 360 version) so their is no way Bethseada didnt know how much power it had.

Well it sure doesnt seem likely, they had the game running and near completion then months 3 -5 moths before MS releases the 360 tells all their developers, hey we found an extra 20% power completly rework your games and miss the scheduled release of the 360, it is not big deal
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:06 am
The Gay Lava Child

If they do it to make it look better, than go for it. If not then i'll fall off the bridge.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:10 am

Shimbatha
Village Leader
Village Leader

I totally believe it. The hype they generated for this game, and the fact that it was labeled a "Launch title" for so long tells me they knew the importance of getting it out late November. Bethesda is one of the big dogs...they have the money and the manpower...which means they can get a game out on time and know *ahead of time* when the release date will be. Very much like Bioware in that respect.

For them to blow a release by what...3 months now (And soon to be 6, if the new date is confirmed) makes me wonder....

I could see them blowing the date by a month or two....but this signals something big has occured. I totally believe that report.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:58 am
gympion

I'd have to agree with this aswell. Although it may not be true, it fits the facts very well. In all honesty I thought everyone kinda knew this already - I'm pretty sure that theres a gold version for the PC already completed but Bethesda are contracted not to release the PC version before the Xbox360 one so as not to harm xbox360 sales. I just hope that they are using this extra time to work on the PC version aswell (although I kinda suspect that there not!). It would certainly explain all the secrecy and legal wranglings that seemed to be going on when the delay was originally rumoured.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:24 pm

Lutrian

What I've heard about the delay.

This sounds similar to what was known about the delay except some things seem backwards/misquoted, others omitted, etc.

From what I've heard:

* Yes the Xbox 360 developer kits were late.
But the problem is they've been having some framerate issues in some areas on the Xbox 360 they wanted to smooth out.

* Second, a job wanted ad posted two months ago had an opening for one or more on-site beta testers familiar with RPGs and especially The Elder Scrolls series. The job was for a two month term. Obviously they also wanted some folks to help them make sure the game was properly balanced.

So in a nutshell, yes the game is likely finished. Just the polishing up phase needed more time.
Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:25 pm

Desslock
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Here's the real story on the delay -- it just wasn't ready, and most of the improvements since it was delayed have been optimizing and bug fixes caused by the optimizing. But as, I think, the only person outside of Bethesda who has actually played Oblivion, I can confirm it's in good shape, and almost done.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:03 pm
Dhruin

Thanks for the comments, Desslock.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:27 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Yes Desslock, glad to hear it is close now!

Hey, maybe I could start a rumor that means Q1!
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:41 pm
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Shimbatha
I totally believe it. The hype they generated for this game, and the fact that it was labeled a "Launch title" for so long tells me they knew the importance of getting it out late November. Bethesda is one of the big dogs...they have the money and the manpower...which means they can get a game out on time and know *ahead of time* when the release date will be. Very much like Bioware in that respect.

For them to blow a release by what...3 months now (And soon to be 6, if the new date is confirmed) makes me wonder....

I could see them blowing the date by a month or two....but this signals something big has occured. I totally believe that report.

They only hyped it to sell X-Box 360's. They knew it was bullshit all along. Bethesda just stayed conveniently silent while Microsoft hyped the game as a launch title. Oblivion was a big reason that a lot of people pre-ordered the console. I'll bet that Oblivion doesn't even show up until Q4 of next year. To delay it on purpose for the reason rumored would be stupid.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:17 pm